German Shepherds Forum banner

Looking for Mal breeder

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Chip18 
#1 ·
Anyone knows a reputable malamute breeder and forum ?

#16 ·
so... you guys sound pretty sure about this and talk out of experience. I have no experience with GSD before Ace so ill listen and see. The only thing is Ace so manageable and easy . Mellow and low drive...I guess i haven't see that other side of him yet since he is a baby ( 4 months old ) at the moment and happily to go by my rule since i take care of him.

#17 ·
We have a Malamute, and a GSD. Totally different dogs. Amazing, in their own way, but nowhere near as trainable as our GSD.
As for finding a Malamute forum, it's quite tough. Ive been looking for over a year. Their is a good malamute page on Facebook. Alaskan Malamute Owners.
Read a lot on Malamutes before committing. Ours is amazingly enjoyable, lovable, snuggably. But train differently than our GSD.

My 2 cents.

#18 · (Edited)
Ace, you have no experience. Get your experience first.

It is going to get tougher as he gets older, then it gets a lot better after he is 2. IF... and I stress IF... you train, and shape him into the dog you want.
It is not enough to just feed him and let him hang around the house.

Wait until he is mature and fully trained, and then decide if you want to add a Malamute puppy.

#20 ·
I definitely agree that you should wait & educate yourself. Be very, very aware that just as GSDs are (or should be) biddable, ie they're imbued with genetic obedience, Malamutes (& Huskies) are the antithesis of 'genetic obedience'. They're fiecely independent & very much value their own judgment/opinions/decisions thank you very much. My Sibe was my heart & soul. I miss him to this day, 12 yrs after he passed, but when I was ready for another dog it occured to me that 1) I wanted a dog that was reliable off lead 2) I wanted that genetic biddability 3) I DIDN'T want the overwhelming urge to escape & roam that defines Huskies & Mals or 4) the out of control prey drive so prevalent in Huskies & Malamutes.

Know too, that Malamutes as a breed often tend towards dog aggression, especially same sex aggression, rank & dominance issues & are tough minded, quite willful characters. AWESOME dogs, imo, but often a lot to deal with. IF/when you're ready for a Malamute actively seek breeders whose dogs live well with other dogs, especially dogs like GSDs that can also have rank, dominance & same sex aggression issues. NEVER assume these issues won't arise, but select for breeders where the problems are less likely & less severe. Any breeder who tells you it's simply in how the dog is raised, FLEE. There is a strong genetic component & I wouldn't trust breeders that don't grasp that. Raise em right, absolutely, but success is sooo much easier with the right genetic material.

#21 ·
I was just about to comment on the same sex aggression. I had a female GSD (NOT dominant) and a female malamute, and the mal was very aggressive towards the GSD and had to be kept separated. They are quite instinctual dogs and not, I think, for the novice owner. I also fostered a male mal and he was goofy and lovable, but my female meant business. She was a very serious dog.

#23 ·
OP, you might also consider fostering a Malamute if possible to get an idea what it is like to live with one. As RubyTuesday said, GSD and Malamute are two very different breeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.