Julius K9 IDC harness - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Julius K9 IDC harness

Has anyone here ever used it before? What are some thoughts on it? I'm thinking about buying one, but before I do, I would like some opinions. I know all of their products are well made, and high quality, but it would be nice to have hand to hand experience opinions too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:41 PM
Elite Member

I bought one for Kaze when we were set to begin K9 SAR training. I realized over time that his first owner messed him up so much that he could never be a SAR dog, but we still use the harness when we go camping. It's bright orange and I attached the bear bells to it, which we used for SAR dogs in my last unit. I have to get some new Velcro patches, and removed the SEARCH and RESCUE patches and replaced them with IN TRAINING instead. I let him roam off leash when we camp, as we're camping in areas where there is no one else but us. I plan to buy one for Nara too. They have KING and QUEEN Velcro patches too, so I might buy those, since I call Kaze my King and Nara is the Queen. Ha! I believe they can also make customized patches too, so I might go that route.

Last edited by counter; 09-28-2015 at 01:44 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:40 PM

I recently purchased one for my almost 3y.o. to begin PP work. I fit the harness (with chest strap) to him with the 2 finger space rule. While I was holding him back watching another dog do his bite work (we were trying to invoke a reaction from my dog to the other dog's training) he was pulling and barking at the other dog. This was the reaction we were looking for BUT my dog did a quick 180 and the pressure from the leash/holding him back pulled the harness right off of him. Not a bad harness, but if i were to count on it for reasons similar to mine I would invest in another type (as I ordered one last night haha) goodluck!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 09:30 PM

I have a Julius "beltharness" and LOVE it. It's our competition Nosework harness, but I also use it for flyball training, protection/agitation work, and anytime I need a simple harness. I'm not sure what the application would be for agility (I always train and run my dogs "naked" or with a simple flat collar), but it is absolutely my favorite harness! I've sold off my ComfortFlex and Bridgeport K9 leather protection harnesses, don't use them anymore.

Coke (All-American 7/7/06)
Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Indy (All-American 5/10/12)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:54 PM

For agility people use them mostly at trials, because this harness is quick and easy to get on/off. I don't have one currently, but eventually. Brilliant K9 is another brand that seems more popular right now.

Ryker: (USDAA) SR (DOCNA) C-BTA C-ISLA
Chandra: puppy in training!

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

I did use the Julius K9 harness for some of Pimg's agility career, but I didn't prefer it. I do still use it regularly though in place of a collar on her.

DSC_2543 by DJetzel, on Flickr

For agility, I much prefer the quick release collars from Clean Run because they don't pull your dog's hair. Sometimes a slip lead might catch their neck hair, and I didn't like that. I also like that it doesn't distract yours or your dog's focus on the task. I loved that when I walked into the ring, both my dog and I were well focused on that first obstacle. With the quick release leash, you press a button and it literally falls off. Easy peasy. With harness and/or slip leads, you have do deal with unbuckling or loosening them, and pulling them over your dog's head. It's a minor thing- but everything I can do to stay 100% focused on the game- I'll do it. I really, really love this lead for agility.
EQuest Quick Release Collar & Leash Combo

Willy

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
RATCHX2 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) DN, SG, SR, CA

Last edited by wildo; 10-02-2015 at 02:37 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

BTW- my comment is in reference to agility. Rereading your initial post, I'm not sure if you intended on using the harness for agility or not. I use the Julius K9 harness for EVERYTHING other than agility. It's a great all purpose harness.

Willy

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
RATCHX2 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) DN, SG, SR, CA
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

I was not stating the fact that I would need it for agility, because we only do it for fun. Nothing very serious. I'm thinking to use it for more of an everyday thing. I also think that Brilliant K9 is very similar to Julius K9, but based on some research I came to the conclusion that I would be better off with Julius K9. Some stated how it is a "higher quality" as prices also show that. I just would like a harness that is easy to put on/off, and would last me a long time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 12:50 AM
Crowned Member

The Julius K9 harness is thicker- heavier duty- than the Brilliant K9 harness. The Brilliant K9 harness is also a bit smaller and thinner in the panel section, so it will be a cooler harness in general. Really, you can't go wrong with either. For a large GSD, I personally prefer the look of the Julius K9 harness. For my smaller Mal, I liked the look the the Brilliant K9 harness (though I didn't end up getting that brand for him).

Willy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page