German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Agility (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/agility/)
-   -   Weaves for a 15 month old? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/agility/438609-weaves-15-month-old.html)

slade 04-15-2014 12:03 PM

Weaves for a 15 month old?

I was just reading the thread on agility for an 18 week old and I'm wondering how many here teach weave poles to a 15 month old?

My 15 month old large boy is already finishing up his first course of 8 week weave classes. The chutes were open with guide wires. The chutes have been pretty much closed up for the last two sessions. He is doing great and really loves it.

I was planning to sign him up for his second 8 week course but some people have suggested that it's hard on the spine. I do not practice weaves with him except during his weekly class.

Thanks!

slade 04-15-2014 05:59 PM

Bump!

SuperG 04-15-2014 06:16 PM

I read this post thinking someone was getting a hair weaves for their shepherd....hey, anything is possible in here.

I don't know about the spine thing but anything and everything you can get your pooch into..especially things they enjoy...it's quality....the two of you are probably thriving and enjoying a bit of a team effort.

I'm still teaching my dog the zig zag gig.. dog walking between my legs as I walk....I might look into what you are doing....glad the two of you are enjoying it.

SuperG

slade 04-15-2014 06:51 PM

Ha ha- hair weaves!! Wonder how I change the subject line? :) :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5381169)
I read this post thinking someone was getting a hair weaves for their shepherd....hey, anything is possible in here.

I don't know about the spine thing but anything and everything you can get your pooch into..especially things they enjoy...it's quality....the two of you are probably thriving and enjoying a bit of a team effort.

I'm still teaching my dog the zig zag gig.. dog walking between my legs as I walk....I might look into what you are doing....glad the two of you are enjoying it.

SuperG

SuperG 04-15-2014 06:57 PM

No need....doubt there are too many other smart asses like me in this forum.

SuperG

BoTaBe 04-16-2014 07:40 AM

I personally wouldn't worry if you're doing the weaves only during training.
My 15 months old also did the weaves!
We started practicing with the channel when he was about 12.5 months old and closed the channel when he was approx. 14/14.5. months old.
So once a week should be totally fine!

slade 04-16-2014 09:38 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience- so now I won't feel guilty while we are having so much fun! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoTaBe (Post 5383825)
I personally wouldn't worry if you're doing the weaves only during training.
My 15 months old also did the weaves!
We started practicing with the channel when he was about 12.5 months old and closed the channel when he was approx. 14/14.5. months old.
So once a week should be totally fine!

shepherdmom 04-16-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slade (Post 5379065)
I was just reading the thread on agility for an 18 week old and I'm wondering how many here teach weave poles to a 15 month old?

Thanks!

I'm glad to see this message... From the title I was wondering why the heck anyone would do a hair weave on a GSD.

slade 04-16-2014 11:24 AM

Someone else said the same thing on this thread! ;) Wonder how I can change the title?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5384777)
I'm glad to see this message... From the title I was wondering why the heck anyone would do a hair weave on a GSD.

TwoBigEars 04-16-2014 06:27 PM

I wouldn't bother changing the title. In an agility forum, it should be expected that "weave" is referring to the agility obstacle. :P