Agility for fun? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Agility for fun?

Do any of you do agility for just fun? or is it all only for competition?

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I did it for fun with Carma and got some flack by "serious" agility people for goofing around with it and "moving to quickly" onto courses we weren't ready for and blah blah blah.

But guess what? We had a blast and I couldn't care less how under developed and crappy my handling skills are. It was fun.
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Awesome! I as thinking of getting into an agility class at this small training facility here, but I didn't know how others would feel since it would literally be jsut for fun. There's also a tricks class I was looking at. I'm running out of ideas. LOL. But Titan loved jumping on things walks well on odd surfaces and did really wall with intro to agility in basic OB.

Whitney
and
Old 03-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I did it for fun with Carma and got some flack by "serious" agility people for goofing around with it and "moving to quickly" onto courses we weren't ready for and blah blah blah.

But guess what? We had a blast and I couldn't care less how under developed and crappy my handling skills are. It was fun.

Alexis, I highly doubt your handling skills were crappy!

I want to do agility with Draco but I have stage freight so we will most likely end up doing it in the yard only.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So far it's only for fun and just using natural obstacles. But I am hoping soon to move onto actual classes and formal training now that he's two. I'm going to get his OFA's done and then sign him up once I find a good trainer and facility.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We do it for fun, not much during the winter though as my work load won't allow it. Getting ready to start again in a couple weeks. Unlike Gatordog, my handling skills are truly bad, but my dog helps by being somewhat natural at it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I guess we'll see how I do if we take the leap I really think Titan will be awesome at it.. I really jsut need something that can engage us both and get him thinking and using his body.. something that isn't going to demand my attention if, say work gets in the way, or if I honestly don't "feel" like doing it.

Hope that doesn't sound bad.. things have been exhausting lately and have caused me to rethink SAR because my lifestyle isn't supportive right now.. so I wanted to get him into something more for fun.

Whitney
and
Old 03-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I took agility classes for fun with Dena. In fact the name of the classes was Agility for Fun! I figured if she and I got good enough to compete and we were both having fun I'd consider entering a trial, but she didn't really have the drives for it.

I started flyball with Halo for fun too. Eight or nine months later we raced in our first tournament and have been hooked ever since, so you never know what will happen, lol.

I personally think that any fun activity you decide to try with your dog is a good thing, whether it leads to serious competition or not. And entering into it with that attitude - that you're trying it for fun rather than being seriously invested in having a top competing dog, is a healthy way to start. If it turns out that it's not the sport for you, or your dog doesn't seem to enjoy it that much, no harm done. And if your dog ends up being into it the way Halo was with flyball, you can always change your mind and go after it with a passion!
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

It better be for fun, because if you're doing anything just for competition, neither you or your dog are going to have a very good time.

I did it sort of not-seriously with Crookytail. I say "sort of not-seriously" because Crooky doesn't have it in him to be good at any sport ever, so I wasn't expecting him to go all MACH6 in two years, but we did take foundations classes that were geared for competition down the line eventually.

The way I figure, even if the dog I'm training today is not going to ever be serious in the field, I might as well try to set myself up to learn good habits early. Because the next dog might have the potential to go farther and do more, and god knows I don't need to learn any worse handling habits than I already have.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I cant do agility because Dex has HD, but we do Rally O just for fun. All others in class are in competition. But I warned them all beforehand that im new and only doing it for fun. Still they give me a lot of tips and try to get me to reconsider lol
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.