Pre-Agility - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Pre-Agility

The local obedience club that I belong to offered a new class this session called pre-agility. It works on a little bit of everything including some obedience, some of the skills needed for a CGC and introducing some of the agility course equipment.

Varik is unflappable as always (if not always that obedient .. he STILL isn't into loose leash walking/heeling). He barrels right in and tries everything and is doing well. The only issue I have is pretty laughable.

At home, I wanted to teach him to jump (well it's 4 inches off the ground so .. step over) on command. Basically, he's like Godzilla and just tromps through, never even seeming to notice there is something down there to go over/avoid. Any suggestions on how to get him over it without his just knocking it out of the way and clomping on through which is his current modus operandi?

Goof.
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Do NOT teach any jumping at all at this age, you've got plenty of time later on. Most of the best instructors say the best jumping dogs wait until they are old enough to jump full measured height and that's when their growth plates have closed over a year old.

Much better to teach all the HANDLER skills we need to direct the puppies to the right place at the right time. You can use a jump standard (the upright part) with no bar to do alot of this.

Great book is by Linda Mecklinberg About Linda Mecklenburg also Susan Garrett's DVD 'Success with one Jump'

Watch this video, MUCH MORE IMPORTANT SKILLS are being taught to this puppy.

Introducing: Hob Nob Helo (9 Weeks Old!) on Vimeo

Also the Crate Games DVD!!!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 01-30-2014 at 12:16 PM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

How old is he? I wouldn't be concerned or trying to get him to jump if he is young. When the jump height is higher, I bet he will jump it then. He is probably just playing and having fun right now.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with the above. An agility instructor will be able to help you teach him to jump properly once he is old enough and has the right foundations. He should not be taught yet, especially by an inexperienced trainer, or you can teach him very unsafe ways of jumping, especially for a pup so young!
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you're talking about TOTC, I think the Pre- Agility would be fine. It's all onleash and it's designed to get the handler and dog introduced to the equipment, how to read a course, learn contacts, things like that. The jumping I think would be minimal. You could always tell the trainer that he's too young to do any actual jumping but he could step over very low jumps to get acquainted with them. I took it with Stosh when he was over 2 yrs old and it was fun.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yeah as I said the "jump" set up was only 4 inches high. I just wanted some tips on getting him to actually notice and step over it instead of plowing it down.

He'll be 10 mos old on 2/3.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.