These are probably silly questions... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default These are probably silly questions...

But i am going to ask them anyway!

I am thinking of doing some agility with Jade starting in the spring (we will be moving very close to a club that teaches basic agility classes) but I had some questions.

First, I don't plan on competing with her, this will mostly be for fun. But if she proves herself to be total natural can she still compete if she has been spayed?

I know that you cannot have their hips/elbows certified until they are two years old, but does that mean that we can't do agility until she is two? or do we just have to avoid jumps? She will be about 1 yr old when we start.

I have always wanted to do something fun with Jade, but I just started to think about agility a few weeks ago. Thought I would share the story that lead me to this decision

So Jade hates it when I go up into the attic, she will stand at the bottom of the ladder and just whine and whine until I come down, even if I never take me feet off the ladder. She is fine when I normally leave a room, or leave her side, but for some reason she does not like the attic! Anyway, I was putting empty Christmas decoration boxes away a few weeks ago. I wasn't even stepping of the ladder, just climbing up, tossing in the box, and climbing down. I was adjusting the last box and I could hear Jade whining below me. I told her to hush and continued on with what I was doing. I heard a strange noise and thought she was biting on the ladder, so I turned around to tell her to stop, and there she was half way up the ladder! her back feet where two rungs off the ground!! I was speechless. I gently told her to get down and she just hopped off and I climbed down. I had no idea she was such a little monkey! So after that I did some research into different sports and thought that agility was something that she would probably enjoy. so here we are!

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Abby142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

silly girl)

And YES you can compete if Jade is spayed, better to anyway, you don't have to worry about entering a trial and her coming into heat and having to drop out

You are not starting to early, a good trainer will keep jumps/contact equipment low while learning and as they progress raise them up. So as long as things are 'low' at this age she should be fine.

You can also xray at around 18 months (don't have to send into OFA if you don't wish to),,and get an idea how she is structurally,,I xray all my dogs, to know how things stand and also for future reference if something crops up..

Don't just xray hips, do elbows/knees/shoulder/spine as well, (they are already knocked out might as well do the whole thing

Good luck and HAVE FUN, you'll be bitten by the agility bug I'm sure

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

There's no such thing as starting too early, just find a good trainer. In the beginning it's a lot of groundwork/foundation training anyway. It will take a while before you actually progress to the equipment.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verivus View Post
There's no such thing as starting too early, just find a good trainer. In the beginning it's a lot of groundwork/foundation training anyway. It will take a while before you actually progress to the equipment.

I started agility also just for fun, beware it is addictive .

Even if you think you won't compete, its still best to go to a class with instructors who do because they will be the most aware of safety issues as well as progressing at the right speed to mix the handling skills WE need with the equipment skills our dogs need to learn.

I spay all my dogs and that is not a factor either. So find some great classes then go and have fun!

Then take tons of photos/video of class so we can see here!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, you got all your questions answered ... and I just wanted to add two things:

never think it's a silly question ... you don't know the answer, best to ask instead of doing harm

HAVE A BLAST!!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I am really pretty excited about the whole thing and can't wait till we can start!

I'll be sure to post an update with some pictures when we get going!

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Abby142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.