AgilityNerd "Challenging" Course - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
x11
Banned

its a cruel degrading sport - makes uncoordinated, dim-witted, bumble-footed, unfit people look like uncoordinated, dim-witted bumble-footed people X 10.

nah i love playing at it - best handler/dog bonding tool i know of - i will just spare myself the public humiliation aspect.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraM1285 View Post
Did you end up teaching running contacts in SG's course?
Teaching?? Heck no! Or did you mean just taking the course? Yes- I did take it.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
its a cruel degrading sport - makes uncoordinated, dim-witted, bumble-footed, unfit people look like uncoordinated, dim-witted bumble-footed people X 10.
Hey- I resemble that comment!

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Teaching?? Heck no! Or did you mean just taking the course? Yes- I did take it.
Lol That should have said, "...teaching Pimg running contacts through SG's course?"

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
TaraM1285 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Truth is, I didn't get a ton out of the course. I jumped in gung-ho building all the equipment (even sending my plans to Susan) but I started to lose interested with the constant self promotion, crate games, and recaller references. I still love her, but my dog doesn't have the drive to train like she wants- at least not at nearly 7 years old. Also, the course was designed for stopped contacts, with the "super secret, ultra unique, crazy awesome" running contact stuff she did with Swagger available for an added cost. But I found the running contact material to be oddly disorganized, incomplete, and hard to follow. Not three adjectives I'd ever think I'd apply to SG material. I ended up looking elsewhere for contact help. I'm currently training the Rachel Sanders box for a running a-frame, and I haven't touched dogwalk training yet. Pimg isn't crazy fast over the dogwalk (I wouldn't even call her "just fast"), she's more of a moderate pace kind of girl in that respect. So managing the DW contact has been both easy and successful so far. I think that I do want to train a real running dog walk, but it falls way below running a-frame training.

Last edited by wildo; 12-05-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Truth is, I didn't get a ton out of the course. I jumped in gung-ho building all the equipment (even sending my plans to Susan) but I started to lose interested with the constant self promotion, crate games, and recaller references. I still love her, but my dog doesn't have the drive to train like she wants- at least not at nearly 7 years old. Also, the course was designed for stopped contacts, with the "super secret, ultra unique, crazy awesome" running contact stuff she did with Swagger available for an added cost. But I found the running contact material to be oddly disorganized, incomplete, and hard to follow. Not three adjectives I'd ever think I'd apply to SG material. I ended up looking elsewhere for contact help. I'm currently training the Rachel Sanders box for a running a-frame, and I haven't touched dogwalk training yet. Pimg isn't crazy fast over the dogwalk (I wouldn't even call her "just fast"), she's more of a moderate pace kind of girl in that respect. So managing the DW contact has been both easy and successful so far. I think that I do want to train a real running dog walk, but it falls way below running a-frame training.
Fair enough. I understand the feeling about the self-promotion and crate games from my experience with recallers. Thanks for the review.

Have you worked on increasing speed on the dog walk or are you just leaving it as is till you move on to working on a trained contact behavior?

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope- I have done almost no work at all on the dogwalk. I've done LOTS of balance and body awareness, of course, so I have the foundation in place. But never have I actually put in the time to lower my DW and practice running with speed. Like I said, I've been lucky enough to be able to get to the end of the DW (even in harder courses) in order to manage the contact, so it just hasn't been a priority. With management, she doesn't blow it too often. The a-frame, on the other hand, she will consistently blow. So that is my current focus. Her teeter has always had some hesitation, which more/less guarantees the contact zone haha. One thing I did like about the SG Contacts course was the teeter games. I really should start working some of them.

You know- I'm continually amazed that in spite of how much I train, there is still so much I haven't addressed yet.... It's kind of never ending...

I don't know- I'm just trying to get to everything in a reasonable time frame while still having fun.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

The never ending training is part of the fun of the journey! And honestly, she looks fantastic! You both have really come a long way - I can really see the excellent teamwork.

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks so much!!!!

I really am trying my best. And I know Pimg is too... I have a lot of aspirations that I don't think this team will reasonably be able to accomplish, but I really am enjoying the ride and enjoying pushing the limits.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.