Knocking bars. What do you do? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
If I want to mark the knocked bar, I don't do any type of sequence before the bar (unless it's a technical type thing like sometimes the problem is tunnel TO the jump or vice versa so issue was the obstacle prior... but even then I may lower the bar during the training session until they get the technical part). So, as long as I don't have a green dog so all agility is new and a knocked bar isn't an issue (yet) AND my dog is enthusiastic so won't slow/shut down by thinking she's been a BAD DOG .... then I just 'oops' to mark, reset the bar then have the dog take it again and reward.

BTW, all of us have incidents of poor timing and unintentionally rewarding one thing when we think we are rewarding something else. As long as we pay attention and do it right then next time(s) our dogs figure it out.

So if you were doing a jump grid and the dog knocks a bar do you mark and withhold reward? (This is kind of tough since the dog is always driving to a placed reward, do you call them off the reward, or just tell the to out asap?)

Its a good thing our dogs are smart and can figure things out sometimes in spite of us

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper ~ (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Kristin, if I am doing a jump grid, I'll try not to reward the dog on a if a bar gets knocked but timing is everything with this. Jump grids are a bit different from a course cause I should have the bars low anyways for skills being taught. Amazing how my dogs can even knock an 8 inch bar when learning.

BTW, if anyone is in the east Susan Salo will be giving a 2 day seminar in Nj that is really worth it if you can afford it. At MaryLou Hanlon's place. The DVDs are good but nothing like Salo's eye and comments on other dogs as well as your own.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wish she'd come a little further west. I'd sure like to attend a Salo seminar.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.