German Shepherds Forum banner

How far do you travel to go to trial

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  dogfaeries 
#1 ·
We've had a few local shows (within 2 hours) of where I live and I only have one more before a big 3 month break of no shows unless I want to travel over 3 hours away from home. I was wondering how far other people travel to go to trials. If I want to trial more, I will have to start going at least 3 hours away from home.

#2 ·
I'm not really interested at in in traveling outside my state to trial. If I had a WL dog that had drive out the ears, I would reconsider. But even though Pimg travels well- the couple times we have traveled out of state for shows or seminars, she has under performed (or not performed). Luckily, 2013 has a CPE show in Indy every single month. So I won't be doing much traveling at all next year. Trialing AND sleeping in my own bed? Doesn't get much better than that!

That said, if I didn't have a choice but to travel 3 hours, I guess I would. Or maybe, just maybe, I'd start looking into hosting trials myself-- especially since I have a yard full of equipment.

#3 ·
I don't travel to trial, I'm lucky and generally have a trial about once a month and thats enough for me. Are there multiple venues near you? You may be able to trial more if you compete in a few different venues like AKC, USDAA etc. I personally don't have the resources or desire to drive 3+ hours to compete, but I am sure others do.

#4 ·
Most trials in my area are around 2 hours away for me, and I feel lucky that there is one almost every weekend except Dec-March and July-Aug.

#5 ·
Most trials I go to are within an hour or two. But I've driven as far as North Carolina (8 hours)-that was for a particularly awesome trial. Usually if it's not a local trial, I drive anywhere from 2-5 hours (I go to northern GA and South FL).

#6 ·
Most trials are 4+ hours away from me :eek: i'm in the armpit of saskatchewan lol.. although I have 3 kinda local trials 1.5 hrs away:D ...travel is my middle name :cry:

#8 ·
I don't do agility, but for flyball tournaments the closest venue is an hour and a half round trip. The furthest one I've gone to was a good 3-1/2 to 4 hours each way. For that one I drove up Friday night, stayed over Saturday and Sunday night, and drove home Monday. Tournaments can last 10-12 hours each day, and I'm usually exhausted by the end of the weekend, so I'd rather take an extra day and be safe. Another tournament was 2-1/2 hours each way, and I spent Friday and Saturday night. We finished at 6:00 or 6:30 Sunday night, and I did drive home that night.

The last tournament I went to I could only go on Saturday since I had plans on Sunday. Originally I wasn't going to go at all since it was 1-1/2 hours each way, but I decided to go for it since Halo was so close to getting another title. It was pretty brutal - I was out the door at 5:20 AM and got home after 8:00 that night. I can do that one day, but I wouldn't do that two days in a row, I would have spent Saturday night at a motel, and probably Friday night too.

There are tournaments about once a month, sometimes a little more often depending on how far you want to drive. My region covers the whole state of California.

#11 ·
I don't go to trials (yet), but show in conformation.

The farthest I've traveled to show, so far, is about 6 hours. It's fun, but expensive. Hotels, gas, ugh. It's not bad if you can get someone to go with you and share expenses. That's what we do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.