2012 WAO Tryouts- Jumpers Opening - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default 2012 WAO Tryouts- Jumpers Opening

Very cool, difficult, fun opening in the WAO Jumpers course tryouts this year. See the amazing Tory Self do it here:

Of course I just had to try this out! It was way more difficult than I thought it would be. Took about ten attempts to get it right. In my defense, even though I've asked Pimg to work with a plate of treats beside her, not often have I asked her to work when I throw the tug away from here in sequencing. Either way- this was a LOT of fun. Way harder than it looks. No time for editing this, did it on my lunch break. Just a quick, raw shoot of us giving it a shot. This is after about eight attempts off camera.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I love Tori and how she handles her dog. I used to hardly ever see her do blind crosses but she seems to do them a lot more lately. She makes it look so effortless though when she does it. That is a difficult sequence there and I'm not sure how I would do it but I may set it up and give it a try. Great job with Pimg doing that sequence. She really seems to love agility.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh man- I knew it was spelled with an "i" -not sure why I put a y. I also REALLY like how she runs her dog. She's incredibly smart. Very straight forward, no frills handler, but she knows when to throw in a little fancy move to make things work out (such as the blind in this case). I'm not sure how I'd handle it without a blind. I guess I'd have to front cross jump 2 into a post turn at jump 3. But that gives me 720 degrees of rotation!!

I suppose you could handle it from the take off side of #2 with some fancy footwork. There are options, but the blind/post turn seem the cleanest to me.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
Old 11-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Do you have a link to that course map? My first thought would be to post turn on the other side and then fc or rc the next jump. Definately a sequence where you may have to try different things to see what works best for your dog.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't have a course map. I could see the post turn at #2 (which is just a send to backside) with a rear cross on the flat into the back of jump #3. However, with a fast dog I think you'd have to be confident that the dog would read the rear cross as a full jump wrap rather than a basic turn... And that might be pretty difficult.

What I wouldn't mind trying is a lead out pivot/push from the take off side of two, layering jump #3 and then doing some kind of fancy thing from the take off side of three. Perhaps a revise flick (I think that's what it's called) or an ass pass- or something to that nature. However, I know with Pimg I'd have to be VERY clear about it otherwise she'd take jump #3 in the wrong direction. One major advantage of the jump wrap on the landing side of jump #3 is that your body blocks a wrong entry. Handling jump #3 from the take off side may be very prone to a bad entry there... I suppose it's all about knowing your dog. I don't have a lot of confidence that I could reasonably handle this from the take off side of #3 without getting a back jump there.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Tori and Rev are a fantastic team-it's really fun watching them run! Not so fun when she jumps her up at 26" in Steeplechase and sets the time at 25 seconds and I have no chance of qualifying then LOL But seriously, she has had some amazing opportunities for such a young handler!

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Holy crap I'd probably twist my ankles trying that *without* my dog! It's like ballet!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yep! I love it!! What people are calling "international style" agility now (which is this really tight, really turny kind of stuff) is so much fun! It's crazy hard, but the control and steering that you're able to demonstrate (or that you hope to demonstrate lol!!) is super fun and rewarding. Of course, it will be very difficult for GSDs to ever be competitive with the BCs with such tight, turning courses though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Holy crap I'd probably twist my ankles trying that *without* my dog! It's like ballet!

Last edited by wildo; 11-26-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't really like the international style courses. Of course it's fun to watch a super fast BC run them, but they offer international standard and jumpers courses at some USDAA shows now and unless the dog can really handle that kind of course, with speed, it's kind of painful to watch-the course feels too disjointed. Needless to say, I don't ever sign up for those classes! I once saw an akita run the international jumpers course at a trial, he was clean, but took probably 60 seconds to get through it, lol.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've never had an opportunity to run a full international course timed. I'd love to give it a shot and really wonder what kind of times we could get. I saw the 2013 USA World Team tryout info was posted and it lists the minimum speed requirements (among other things)
  1. A minimum of 8 standard class scores of 100 and a minimum rate of speed of:
    • 3.70 yards per second (YPS) – small dogs
    • 3.80 yards per second (YPS) – medium dogs
    • 4.00 yards per second (YPS) – large dogs
  2. A minimum of 8 JWW class scores of 100 and a minimum rate of speed of:
    • 4.90 yards per second (YPS) – small dogs
    • 5.00 yards per second (YPS) – medium dogs
    • 5.40 yards per second (YPS) – large dogs
It will take a very fast GSD to be running international style agility at at least 5.4 yps!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.