2012 WAO Tryouts- Jumpers Opening - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

In my agility class we almost always practice the international type of courses. I usually end up running it differently than most others because I have a big dog. My teacher is very good about showing me alternatives for Jerry Lee as oppose to someone who has a little dog. I don't particularly like international style courses but it does help me learn how to handle Jerry Lee in other situations. I would never want to compete in anything that does international courses but that is just my personal preference.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you have USDAA near you, go try it out! Any level can enter those classes so you can just go once and have fun with it. I think 5.4yps for that kind of course is pretty much impossible for a GSD, based on body structure if nothing else. (Just checked, and one of my fastest USDAA jumpers times was 5.4 seconds and that course had more flow than an international course-the BC that won it was at almost 6yps.)

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbella999 View Post
In my agility class we almost always practice the international type of courses.
Really? How fun! What, in your opinion, qualifies a course as international style? I'd think there would be at least two or three jump wraps, countless off courses, and probably an impossible weave entry...

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sorry- I know your question is directed at Belinda, but one thing I notice about international style courses is stupid backside jumps!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I did register Pimg with the USDAA, so technically I could try it out. But I doubt that entry level courses would be very difficult. Would you agree? Haha- I want to jump in with the hardest course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO View Post
one thing I notice about international style courses is stupid backside jumps!
which I love!

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
Old 11-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here's a completely different take on the intro:

Old 11-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

There are no entry level international courses. There is just one standard and one jumpers course-but anyone can enter them. They are not available at all trials. But, YES, I think you should check it out. USDAA in general is the closest venue to international style- you would LOVE IT! The competition is so much fun and many world team handlers compete in it. It's fun to compete against people like Tori or Stuart Mah, and whoever is in your area

Oops, I was wrong- I was thinking of the rules for the tournament classes-but for the masters challenge classes, as they call them, you have to have your masters title in that class- sorry

Last edited by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO; 11-26-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
There are no entry level international courses.
Are they called "international classes"? Do you see any in this trial?
USDAA - News & Events: Event Calendar

I see your update above about the master's classes. Shucks.

Last edited by wildo; 11-26-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
If you have USDAA near you, go try it out! Any level can enter those classes so you can just go once and have fun with it. I think 5.4yps for that kind of course is pretty much impossible for a GSD, based on body structure if nothing else. (Just checked, and one of my fastest USDAA jumpers times was 5.4 seconds and that course had more flow than an international course-the BC that won it was at almost 6yps.)
One club is going to start USDAA in my area. I may try it out for fun but probably won't continue in that path. Do you do AKC also? I was wondering how they compare. I know the jump heights are higher which is a big concern for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Really? How fun! What, in your opinion, qualifies a course as international style? I'd think there would be at least two or three jump wraps, countless off courses, and probably an impossible weave entry...
Mostly back side jumps and super tight courses. I'll see if I can get a couple course maps of the courses we do in class and send them to you.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Yeah that is what I was thinking of trying. Just seems like with a big dog, this way might be better but hard to tell without walking the course for real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Here's a completely different take on the intro:
2013 WAO Tryout Jumpers - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.