Classes & that puppy brain....... - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Btw, yes I said, young adult, but she still has that puppy brain at times! She is not 2 yet & while not making an excuse, I still feel she is maturing & not adult yet. No prob by me. 8)

MLR, In her taking off to visit, in the air about discipline here b/c agility & also her being on the sensitive side to a degree, opinion? Do not want her doing, really, as I also fear for her getting ripped at. 8/

Thanks!

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
LuvourGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In my opinion...you need to correct her, be it verbally or physically for going to visit. You shouldn't worry about killing her "drive" for agility or the fact that she is on the soft side. If she's on the soft side, then you shouldn't give her the freedom to make the mistake. If a loud "NO" get her to shut down...you can't put her in a situation where you would have to do that.

Her going to visit has nothing to do with prey drive, herding drive, or any other drive but wanting to play and blowing you off while you need her to work. You keep mentioning her age but I don't think age or maturity have anything to do with this, if you set expectations higher you wouldn't use that as an excuse of why she's not listening to you. It seems to me that you're alright with her not listening to you and you are willing to take time to get her to naturally want to listen to you (through age) rather than getting her to do it through obedience and training.

Sorry to sound harsh, just that if I had someone that was giving this many excuses in my class I wouldn't really be happy with it. I'm in class to learn, to train, to someday compete and there is someone there that's just waiting for their dog to mature rather than asking their dog to just act mature. We've all had 19 month old dogs, and at 19 months old I expected my dog to listen, to come to me when called, and to be able to work off leash without visiting strange dogs. There is a time and place for that and she needs to know that.

By the way...with as many agility titles as you have on the one dog I really do respect that you know what you're doing. Not sure why all the worries about the dog and what she's doing. Really wish I could watch the two of you work in person to really see what's going on and to truly see what kind of personality your dog has. To me it sounds like you're a bit timid because you've had some "softer" dogs. I can't relate to that because I can pretty much yell "NO" at any point and nothing will happen except that he will stop in his tracks. I think you just need to worry less and put your dog in situations where there is more chance of success than there currently is.

Last edited by martemchik; 11-29-2012 at 02:57 PM.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree & I am that type of person like you & WHY I posted here with this issue & WHY I joined classes to gather her focus & brain why working aroung many crazy distractions & to better my handling! I have eveything I need here at home & she does all. I plan to compete also & will not till I have full control, I hope anyway. Shows go a bit diff than class or home training. Been there. 8/

Thanks....

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

Old 11-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master Member

Personally my dogs never get away with blowing me off, I don't care if its agility, obedience or tricks in my backyard. If they have the opportunity to blow you off and are rewarded for it, the liklihood of it becoming a major problem increases. (By rewarded I mean being able to greet other dogs etc.) Personally I would be putting a lot of work into motivating this dog to focus, teaching behaviors is a very distant second to having drive and focus on task. Havoc has never blown me off in work, ever. As his drive and focus increased, I increased the temptations. I know that this is tough in a class, have you read Susan Garretts shaping success? She talks about this problem with her dog Buzz.

I really like the Michael Ellis videos for learning how to use food and tugs to increase motivation for a dog (no, they have nothing to do with bite work I highly recommend "the power of training dogs with food" "the power of playing tug with your dog" and "Advanced concepts in motivation" I have significantly changed the way I train my dogs after watching these DVDs and I can't believe the difference! (you can order them on the leerburg website or rent them from Bow Wow Flix.)

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have the food dvd from Michael. Had done this since a pup & still use food as a hugh part with her. Her tug is great, but, need to use more & build this up in a class setting. She does a bit & then done.

Guys, not to sound harsh, but, it's not that I am a novice & no nothing about dog training. Distractions has always been our enemy tho. Why I joined a class. We will continue to work this issue.

Thanks....

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master Member

Okay I get it, you got kinda bombarded here But seriously the advanced concepts in motivation DVD is AWESOME! Totally changed the way I trained with food and tugs and I would say that it increased my dog's food motivation 10x. Having good food motivation is so helpful for teaching new behaviors, most dogs don't have a TON of food drive though, so learning the game of food chasing is super helpful

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.