Fastest GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fastest GSD?

What is the fastest a GSD can go?

I have seen several speeds out of Bear, my 8 mo male. He is somewhere over 70lbs now, next checkup in two weeks.

Walk, Trot, Glide, Canter, Gallop, Chase, and tonight after something he saw in the distance, BTTWA. Balls-to-the-Wall Afterburner. I have never had a dog that moved that fast!

SO what's a GSD clock over the short to medium distance? Bear covered about 300 yards faster than I could visually track him in the dark. I saw him go past me, and then at the other end on a power turn under a streetlamp. as he decelerated, not a whole lot of time afterwards.

He had to have seen something in the distance because he would have had any cat or rabbit in the straightaway.

Contrary to popular thought, life does not hinge around big decisions at crisis points, but small everyday decisions that lead almost inexorably to crisis. Virtue lies in not being lazy when choosing, even in a small way.
Oskar der Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When my dog was younger- about 3.5 years old, I had just gotten a new road bicycle and decided to let her chase me down a country road. I had a speedometer on the bike. She ran at 22mph for .95 miles. I'd imagine that's very fast for a GSD. They are not particularly built for long distance speed like that, and it really isn't wise to push them like that.

In agility, Pimg is running in the 4 yards/sec range which is 8.2mph.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Fastest in agility or just fast? Pan is training to run sub-4 seconds in flyball. His fastest official time is 4.009 which makes him the fastest U-fli GSD in North America (by over .2sec which is like hours in flyball time). I tried to out-run him on my bike and couldn't.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

If you think a GSD is fast, wait till you see a fast breed. A friend used to have Whippets with his GSD's and there was absolutely no comparison when they would run together.

OTOH, once you see a GSD run then the movies where you see a person running ahead of one (a K9 usually) for quite a distance, you quickly realize that is a movie fairy tale!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
If you think a GSD is fast, wait till you see a fast breed. A friend used to have Whippets with his GSD's and there was absolutely no comparison when they would run together.
We used to lure course several years ago, and the sighthounds can fly!
My own Italian Greyhounds, when they were younger, could easily outrun my Doberman who was not slow.

My GSD Sage is pretty fast. She loves to play chase with the other GSDs at my breeders house. No one has even been close to catching up with her. I call her the "whippet".

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi & Pi ~ the meezers
dogfaeries is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Fastest in agility or just fast? Pan is training to run sub-4 seconds in flyball. His fastest official time is 4.009 which makes him the fastest U-fli GSD in North America (by over .2sec which is like hours in flyball time). I tried to out-run him on my bike and couldn't.
Harley's mother was a fast dog. (flyball) Her best time was 4.01
It's pretty impressive to see how fast some of the larger dogs can run. (large compared to Whippets etc.)

I hope Pan breaks into the 3. "somethings". You'll have to change his name from Pan to Lightening.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I was asking about just plain straightaway speed, no corners or obstacles.

It would have to be a real desire to get up to speed. Bear has been fast on a ball chase compared to other dogs, but what I saw last night was *way* faster than he has gone after a ball.

So, straightaway speed? I started here as I didn't know where else to ask, suggestions on a forum?

Anecdotally, If I saw a GSD tearing towards me doing that kind of speed, I can well understand the mortal terror they could inspire in a fugitive. Oh yeah, there just ain't no way to evade that furry rocket with the teeth hanging out!

Google says that top end sprint speed for a GSD has been clocked at between 30 and 35mph, I can well believe it.

Contrary to popular thought, life does not hinge around big decisions at crisis points, but small everyday decisions that lead almost inexorably to crisis. Virtue lies in not being lazy when choosing, even in a small way.

Last edited by Oskar der Drachen; 05-28-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Oskar der Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

My brother's GSD could run 29 mph in his prime, he is 9 years old now and can run 23 mph. I don't recall the time duration at that speed.
IrishRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

From Internet:

"The greyhound runs 50% faster than the fastest human, having been clocked at 39 mph. Remarkably, Greyhounds can also weigh almost 90 pounds, adding size and strength to their speed as well."
Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

A List: (Note that the GSD is one of the fastest!)

1.The Greyhound is the fastest Dog in the world. The top speed approaches 45 mph.

2. Whippet, top speed may approach 40 mph.

3. Saluki top speed approaching 40 mph.

4. Borzoi, AKA Russian Wolf Hound.

5. Irish Wolf Hound (HUGE DOG!)

6. The Pharaoh Hound. Despite its name, this dog comes from Malta

7. Sloughi

8. Azawakh

9. Ibizan Hound similar in looks to the Pharaoh Hound, but comes from Ibiza, Spain.

10. Borzoi

11. Doberman Pinscher

12. Rhodesian Ridgeback

13. Dalmatian.

14. German Pinscher

15. Cane Corso Mastiff (the Italian Stallion!)

16. German Shepherd

17. Wiemaraner( German Nazi dog-bird dog)

18. Boxer

19. The Belgian shepherds

20. The Great Dane (Not really Dannish, but German)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.