What to do...Agility...Agility Not..Agility...Agility Not - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default What to do...Agility...Agility Not..Agility...Agility Not

Jax isn't limping from her knee anymore, even with my stupid stunt that re-injured it, however she did have pain in her hip when being examined by the ortho and I know she has mild HD.

If this were your dog, would you continue her in agility at 4 years old or just move her over to obedience and tracking?

My concern is (1) putting more stress on her knee and continuing to re-injure it and (2) her hip obviously hurts her under exam so how much damage is being done with a high impact sport like agility?

Just looking for input from others before I make a final decision.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Personally, if she 'hurts', and you see a refusal to jump, yes I would go to something less demanding, like obed/rally/tracking..

I had to make that decision many years ago with my first gsd, it killed me to do it, we were in the ex levels, but, I knew she didn't care what she did as long as she did it with me, so I retired her from agility.

I think removing them from something 'we' love hurts us more than it does the dog, emotionally anyway..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

If this were my dog and describing the same symptoms and asking you the same question, what would you advise me to do?
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

did you know that there are gold beads that can be implanted at site that will alleviate hip pain.
Personally I would retire her -
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
Personally, if she 'hurts', and you see a refusal to jump, yes I would go to something less demanding, like obed/rally/tracking..
She WAS, Diane. After she hurt her knee the first time. I"m not sure it was a refusal or just a nifty little trick she picked up but she was going UNDER the bars. Even when there was only 10" below the bar. Wish I would have had that one on video.

I don't really care about doing it because I like it so that really isn't in the equation. It's not like she got up one morning and said "hey...I'd like to do agility today"

My concern is doing something that is pounding on her body that will show up when she's 9 years old. She doesn't seem to hurt now.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wouldn't do it.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
did you know that there are gold beads that can be implanted at site that will alleviate hip pain.
Personally I would retire her -
No! I did not know that! Are there any after effects to that?

Old 02-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There was an article posted in some thread in the Agility section about retiring vs not retiring dogs in agility. If I recall correctly, at least for the author of the article, she saw her dogs health deteriorate after retiring them. According to the author, she no longer retires her dogs until the dogs "tell" her to do so. It might be a Trkman article, but I don't exactly remember.

That said- I would absolutely "listen" to the dog. If the dog is refusing to jump- game over. There are just WAY to many jumps in agility... In my opinion, a jump refusal is a pretty clear indication of a problem. (Side note- that's exactly how I confirmed Pimg had hurt her knee- a refusal on an 8" jump from the start line: plain as day.) However, if the dog seems to be jumping fine still, then I'd pay very close attention to the weave poles. I'm thinking that the weave poles (if executed with any kind of speed at all) are probably the most straining on a dog's joints. Sure, the contact performances are jarring, but the weave poles are putting massive twisting pressure on knees, elbows, hips, back, pretty much everything.

I guess in the end, if it were my dog, I'd keep them ultra fit and continue agility as long as my dog wanted. Hey- I might even keep doing agility while avoiding hard obstacles like contacts and weave poles. You know there are options there! I don't believe Jumpers in CPE has weave poles. Tunnelers in NADAC is just tunnels (I think). Snooker (in all venues) is full of choices...

I'd say as long as the dog is still enjoying jumping- then there are a lot of agility options.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wildo - good points but I"m not planning on retiring her and letting her veg. I'll move her over to different venue's that will give her an outlet for her energy without beating on her body.

And this isn't about whether or not she still wants to jump. The dog would jump anything I put in front of her if the mood struck her. This is about the impact of agility on her body given that I know she has mild HD and expressed pain when the ortho was pushing into her one hip under evaluation.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wonderful, well thought out answer from Willy.

If she is showing signs of wanting to stop, I'd stop. I'd also be careful of putting pressure on to do obstacles that could reinjure her.

Knowing Jax, I'd more more concerned about frisbee in the yard than the agility.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.