post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Please help

I have my first GSD, since she was 7 weeks old and now 5 months
She is a sweet but on the timid - shy side
We give her plenty of exercise and stimulation and rest
The big problem is me !
She gets all wired up at night and jumps on me then tries to bite my hands
I then use all my methods of I'm the alpha
I ask her to go down , I ask her to go to her bed I ask her to get her toy yo focus on and he just jump right back in the bed or sofa and on me and the more I get mad the more she thinks it's a game

I do practice the Cesar Milan way of in the pack leader , she is good in with food and toys and games she sits to go out as last and is getting better on leash she will run to me if I use the whistle even if she is digging or what ever

But at night she gets crazy mode
The only way to calm her is to put a gate on my newsroom door
Then she just goes to play on her own and then settles for the night

How do I mak her understand that I'm the boss at that time
( if hubby is near by she is good for him )
Me she does not listen to
Other times she does just not at the end of the day after I walk her and play with her and feed her
Then when it's my time to chill she goes nuts and I'm scared that I will loose it and we will both get hurt

Love my pooch
Please help me control this
Is this just a puppy stage ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:42 AM
Crowned Member

Hmmm first you don't really need to be boss ... you kinda need to be her "leader" "leaders" motivate and lead by example, Bosses give orders. Most likely a subtle difference but it's important in the long run. It seems to be a puppies, gone wild night ... this thread here is very similar to yours.

PLEASE HELP - puppy will not stop peeing/pooing inside

You really need to start crate training her and use and you could add an EX Pen and not barricade your room and let her run wild in the house???
https://www.chewy.com/frisco-dog-exe...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Second Hand Dogs: Playing Crate Games

And a lot of puppy stuff is here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...hwRlxZmW5H3IEm

Last edited by Chip18; 04-20-2017 at 12:44 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:27 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Evening crazies are very common - she is over-tired and over-stimulated, and being hyper like a child on too much sugar.

Schedule regular nap times, a couple of hours napping in her crate, on a daily basis. Many people here have reported marked improvement in their puppy's behaviour once they started incorporating dog - naps into their schedule.

Forget the Cesar Milan Alfa stuff - the more energy you project, the more she'll pick up on that energy and feed off it. Get her in her crate. Close the door. Walk away. Done!
Chip18, sebrench and Coleen like this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky is my GSD View Post
I then use all my methods of I'm the alpha
I ask her to go down , I ask her to go to her bed I ask her to get her toy yo focus on and he just jump right back in the bed or sofa and on me and the more I get mad the more she thinks it's a game

How do I mak her understand that I'm the boss at that time
( if hubby is near by she is good for him )
Me she does not listen to
I'm not a trainer, just a pet owner. But I think that training with calmness, confidence, and especially consistency can make a big difference--not so easy for me to explain. Body language, posture, and tone of voice are very important when interacting with and training dogs. I don't mean you have to be a drill sergeant. I'm not a loud person, but I am confident around my dogs and they know what to expect from me. It might help to watch some online videos of trainers or successful owners interacting or training their dogs, or try to pay attention to your husband's demeanor or body language--whatever it is that makes your pup respond to him more than to you, or you could sign up for some training classes (if you haven't already), or some additional classes if you've already taken some.

Watch your tone of voice. It might help to lower you voice just a bit when giving your dog a command (use your higher voice for praise and to get your dog excited and for playing). Don't ask your dog to do something, tell her to do it--I've had to remind my husband of that before. He had never had indoor dogs before marrying me, and his voice tended to raise at the end of a command, like he was asking them a question, and the dogs just didn't obey that tone as well as they obeyed mine.

Try not to repeat commands. If your pup doesn't listen the first time (like if you say "sit" or "down," or "off" to remove her from the couch, and she doesn't listen...physically guide her to the right action. Repeating commands just teaches your dog that you don't mean what you say the first time. If she's grown accustomed to not listening to you, it may take her some time to realize you mean business, but just be calm and consistent, and she should eventually start responding to you on the first command.

Easier said than done, but try not to get angry or frustrated when working with your pup...she will sense your energy and may get frustrated or amped up in response. An example: when one of my shepherds, Levi, was a teenager he was jumping and pulling away from me when I had him in a sit stay trying to trim his nails. He has white nails, they're very easy to trim, and we had done this many times. I was getting angry with him because I knew he knew what the correct behavior was. However, the more frustrated I got, the more he squirmed. I had to walk away from him for 5 minutes and try again. When I came back with a happy calm attitude, he sat down, did the behavior, and we were done with his nails in a few minutes.

Try to end training on a positive note. You can keep training sessions short. Give your pup lots of praise when she does something right. And perhaps, most importantly, try to have fun with her (as I'm sure you do) and deepen your bond.

Since I can't talk to you in person or see you interact with your dog, I can't really say if some or none of what I just wrote is applicable to your situation. As I said, I'm not a trainer or a dog expert, I've just read some books, taken some classes, and had several GSDs. Good luck with your girl and keep us updated!

[Edited to add: also, in my opinion, as long as your pup gets plenty of exercise, training, and attention from you and your family, I don't see anything wrong with crating her with a safe chew toy when she needs to calm down. I would try to make the crate a positive place and not a place of punishment though.]
Chip18 and Mudypoz like this.

Last edited by sebrench; 04-20-2017 at 09:22 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

I tell clients all the time at between 3 months and 9 months; there are some things that you can train and there are some things that you manage, until adolescent maturity turns into young adult maturity.
In other words, some behaviors, usually manners issues, jumping, mouthing, etc, usually decrease with age; as they progress into young adult stage( 10 months onward)
Also, your pup does not perceive you as leader, but more so as an equal or playmate. You inadvertently or advertly created that by your interaction with the pup.
Chip18 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page