German Shepherds Forum banner

Argggg!!!! Dog Attack!!!!

9K views 81 replies 24 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well my "Perfect" record of "no dog gets to mine without getting past me is "toast!!!" One did and it was a freaking "Black and Tan GSD!!!!"

Rocky is fine ... I'm fine. I'm just seriously ticked off!!!! Perfect storm and yet again ... I violated my own advice!! New tenants moved into a house on the corner. I told Marily ... don't go by that area ...large chain length fence with "extremely badly behaved" dogs there. And at least one of them was a GSD!!!

So I "knew" but it's a commercial area property and no moon tonight ... and the place looked abandoned to me??? A Rocky apparently saw the dogs behind the fence ... I could not??? So he did the nose at the fence ears up alert??? But as I could barely see "Rocky" I paid that no heed??? Next thing I know dogs come, charging the fence??? The place looked abandoned???

Reaction form "Rocky" .... nothing! OK fine then we'll gain some distance form the fence and continue on our journey .... but halfway past ... I decide well those dogs I know understand are there??? It's a large frontage for the fence ... so let's just turn around and take another path. So that's what we do but ... apparently the fence is not secure???

We turn around to take another route ... I put "Rocky" on the outside so I'm between him and the fence ... did not matter ... that fence is not secure and there were was not one but at least two if not three out of control GSD's behind that fence????

And at least one of them slips out!!! And he is charging us and from "Rocky" ... I get nothing!! Daddys got this but ... but this time ... Daddy can't see anything??? The one dog slips by me as I try to figure out what the HE!! is going on going??? Rockys yeps as he is struck!!!! And I'm ticked off!!!!! Clearly not a sustained attacked ... to quick for me to kick the crap out of the attacking dog?? And I could not grab to engage becasue I could not see "anything????"

That **** dog circled around and struck!! By the time I could see him he was already moving!!! He got to "Rocky" and "Rocky" yelped!!!! I was freaking ticked off and that dog at least understood ... he messed up!!!! That guy is freaking insane!!!!

But that dog clearly understood that he screwed with the wrong freaking dog and owner!!!! It was a quick hit and he disengaged!!! I freaking dared him to freaking try again!!!

I lost my phone so I took "Rocky" around the corner told him to stay and I'm going back for my freaking phone!!! Come at me if you freaking dare!!!!! They did not!!

Rocky ... did as he has been trained ... but over trained??? I got no warning of imminent danger from him??? He could see the threat but I could not ... but you know ... "Daddys got this???"

We came home and I drove back to retrieve my phone. I am freaking ticked off!!!! Marilyn will go down tomorrow and talk to the owners ... I just can't!! My plan would be to go back during "daylight" and look for payback!!! But if there are other folks out here and they walk less "formattable breeds that way!" And if that dog or dogs get a whole of a lesser dog and owner ... someone is gonna die!! So yeah her plan is better than mine, and "Rocky" sigh ... no big deal ... "apparently" this was our best adventure ever!! >:)

See less See more
#14 ·
He got ... at least nipped??? I heard him yelp and spun and the dog ... retreated. I brought him and had Marilyn look him over while I went back to get my phone.

He got treats and kisses and slept like a log ... he seemed to have enjoyed himself ... just another one of "Dad's" nutty outings. :p

#4 ·
Give Rocky a scritch for me--good dog. You can have your favourite cookie.
Seriously, Rocky's lack of reaction may have kept all of you safe, better than an all out dog fight where all parties get injured or seriously upset.
Hope you can get those dogs locked behind secured fences (ala bylaws, etc.)

#13 ·
Yeah ... my dog wasn't hurt and I usually let it go at that. But Marilyn said "what about others???" Lot's of older people walking small dogs out here.

If that dog came after "Rocky and myself" ... anybody and dog less formatiable ... is gonna be a world of hurt! So she'll call Animal Country and they'll make the owners aware ..."that they have problem." Bet those dogs owners ... aren't "here" ... just saying. :)

#12 ·
Aww thanks guys ... as these things go ... it went fine. We did what we do ... it's just that ... nowhere in my plans did I ever consider ... not being able to uh ... see a charging dog????

I was between "Rocky" and the dogs . But I "assumed" the property was empty??? I knew they "had" been there??? And when the crap went down I was focused on the "GSD" I could see??? I did not see the one, that slipped, out until he brushed by me and Rocky yelped???

At that point the Black and Tan that was on us was barely visible ... and I couldn't see Rocky at all??? So it was strikeout (kick) where???? The one brushed right by me while I was still staring at the other one I could see??? That millisecond delay was all that dog needed!! When I spun around ... he got the heck out of Dodge!! He wasn't eager to try his luck again!!

Most likely "Rocky" was watching him but ... no reaction from "Rocky" becasue you know "Daddy's got this??? But ... "Daddy" apparently can't see in the dark ... uh oh!!!"

Sigh ... I suppose "Now" I'll take my own advise! Bear Spray wouldn't have work no target ... or time to deploy?? An air horn ... maybe ... if it was readily at hand??? A walking stick ... would have been ideal! I could have jammed that between that dog and my thigh even at the last second!! Oh well ... "The School of Hard Knocks" it seems ... I'm still attending ...live and learn. :)

#17 ·
I carry pepper spray, but thankfully have never had to use it. That stuff also gets in the air and is annoying to breath (tested its distance once and regretted it).I would hate to have to hurt a dog because of owners being idiots. It takes a lot to rouse Draco but he is always prepared to protect himself if needed. Where I used to live there were a lot of strays or even dogs with owners who let them roam, sometimes they would go after me or him and he would instantly put them on the ground and they would take off as fast as they could. If I saw them coming I would grab a handful of rocks to throw on the ground and it would sometimes scare them off.

My in laws were walking their two SMALL dogs and two GSDs went after them. They bit up their Boston Terrier and my father in law, but both were OK luckily. Those dogs had a history of attacking other dogs, the owner was an idiot who didn't leash them even after multiple incidents. I think the cops were involved and he only walks one at a time and leashes them, from what I have seen anyway.

My husband and I bought my father in law a taser walking cane after that.

#18 ·
Glad no one is hurt.

For me, it was that little monster lackland terrier who got one of my girls during class. Yep, I was seriously ticked off. The dog was small, but it was wearing a prong and an e-collar, and the owner was just oblivious. I figured they did indeed need to be in classes and just kept my distance.

Accidents do happen. Hopefully, they will improve their barriers, and maybe do something to eliminate barrier aggression as well. Probably best to let Marilyn do the talking.

#24 ·
She contacted AC and they wanted an address so she went to talk to the owners but no was there??

I did take note of those dogs first appearance and I did not like there behaviour and I told "Marilyn Specifically" don't go in that direction! "Apparently" that was good advice. :eek:

But last night no lights in the abode ... the property looked abandoned??? Gotta dig deeper ... it maybe a situation where those dogs were abandoned also???

#20 ·
Glad it wasn't serious.
I have three dogs two German Shepherds and a German Shepherd /golden retriever mix. I live in town and have a six foot chain link fence around my entire back lot. I try to keep my dogs neutral to other dogs and dogs walking by. But I just don't understand why people with dogs walking by insist on stopping and letting their dogs approach my fence or pee on the post out there. "there is about 8 feet of my yard between the fence and road that they encroach upon". Then they act surprised when my dogs bark and wanna have a go at their dogs. I have had to tell numerous people to just keep moving. Of course my dogs are gonna want to keep other dogs away or off their territory.
It really ticks me off now that we're going to club. My dogs don't have to like other dogs but they do have to tolerate them. Anyway it isn't an issue at club. It's not their territory. But I don't wanna let my dogs get used to being reactive to other dogs.

Reactions: Chip18
#21 ·
Perhaps, you need to change "your plan?" Going back for payback is another bad idea. Dogs are dogs and defending their property and guarding their property is what they do. Never trust a fence to secure dogs that really want to get loose.

#26 ·
Sigh ... no problem, I gave that up, if you walk willingly into an ambush ... don't complain if you get messed up!!

And yes ... I suspect it was the second gate where the dog came from?? The first time I saw them, I noted that gate was kinda loose??? There are at least two Black and Tan GSD's there but last night I thought I saw three??? Highly concerning t say the least so my focus was on the dogs I could see.

I couldn't see "Rocky" and usually with that kind of crap we just move along?? He alerts and I look "that way" but "Rocky" was "invisible???" I couldn't see what he saw??? But I knew something was different???

Had I continued to move away ... he'd have been struck from the rear! So I told him to stay "something was different" but... I got this! Most likely "Rocky protected my flank??? And figured "I got the front???" But "Roc" was wrong this time ... the dog blew by me and struck and when I whirled ... the dog decided ... good enough ... this guy is crazy???? I'm outa here!

I have no idea where he went but he disappeared??? At anyrate "Marilyn" found no one there today???

There were no lights on at the property that night, if there were we would not have gone that way. But now it's starting to look like those dogs were abandoned??? So AC control just my have a rescue situation on there hands???

#27 ·
Oh I'm "calm under pressure" but I won't talk to the owners!!! That's "Marilyn's job! I don't do people well, if my dogs are involved! And had it been my "Struddell (White Boxer)" that dog struck ... yep I'd have gone over that "freaking fence" for pay back!!!!

When "Roc" and I had our first encounter and I slipped on the ice and he came to my aid unbid. Under full observation of law enforcement!

It was most likely a lawyer's dream "Oh my back!!!" But my dogs weren't hurt and that's all I care about so that guy got off with a terse "Control Your Freaking Dog's!!"

But had his innorant dogs chose to target my "Struddell" who was to my rear with my wife instead of "Rocky and me???" I'd have let "Rocky loose" and it would have been Vet visits, the ER and LE involvement for "everybody!!!" No dog "screws" with my "Girl!"

With my Boys ... I'm at least halfway rational ... but with my girl ... "NO" but I understand that and that is why I don't do "Dog Parks" or unknown dogs ... I don't need the hassle. Dogs have to go out of there way to "cross my path!" That a-hole "GSD" can consider himself as being extremely freaking lucky!!!

#28 · (Edited)
It's funny, I am out with my dog (s) all day and night when working. I do foot patrols through some decent neighborhoods and some high crime neighborhoods. Even before I was a handler I was out at all hours of the day walking through our rough areas. In 15 years I've been confronted by only a handful of dogs. I've had a stray GSD or Rottie challenge me and a few pit mixes. I would say it is almost a rare event and I have certainly been in some very undesirable areas. From the stories some folks tell it sounds like they live in a foreign country where every dog runs loose.

From many years of walking dogs, I've learned a few things. First, some dog owners are really not that bright, IMPO. ;) I've had people let their dog run up to my fence and gate that is clearly marked "Police Working Dog." I've heard people say "let's go see the Police dog" and come on my property and walk up to my 6' wooden privacy fence with their peekaboo or ****zapoo. This amazes me. Then there are the other folks with the DA dog and want to walk past my house multiple times to "train" their dog. Both are really stupid and bad ideas. If you are one of the pet owners that takes the route past the dog aggressive dog in the yard to "expose, train or show off how well behaved your dog is" around DA dogs; well stop doing that silly stuff. Stop purposely annoying the dogs behind the fence, move along, cross the street or pick a different route. It is a recipe for disaster to keep going by the same dogs every day.

Boomer is extremely dog aggressive and we have never had an issue with stray dogs while walking. I've never had a dog fight in years of walking my dogs as an adult. I've owned a couple of strong DA dogs over the years and have never had an issue controlling my dogs or stray dogs that approached.

You absolutely need to be aware and understand dog behavior and be able to read a dog's body language and bark. If you hear a large aggressive sounding dog, cross the street or find another route. If you are approached by a stray dog, most can be deterred by a stern command and presence. If you project that you are in control, have your dog calm and focused on you. All it usually takes it a loud "GO HOME." and most dogs will leave you alone.

If you are walking at night, carry a good flashlight. Flashlight technology has really improved in the past couple of years. Get an LED flashlight with a strobe feature. You can find them for under $20 now or as much as $200. I have both and they are all good. I've been chased by aggressive pit mixes at 3 AM sneaking up on some dope dealers and the strobe on the light was all it took to deter the bully / pit mix. I've been tracking with my dog at 2 AM and been challenged by dogs going through their yard. Again, the strobing light and good intense "Knock it off" was enough to stop them.

I would think with the amount of time I spend out doing foot patrols, urban and rural tracking, surveillance with my dog in the shadows and bushes would put me at a high likely hood of coming across stray dogs. Even perimeter positions or moving through yards at 0dark thirty for SWAT warrants. It has been a very rare event to deal with stray or loose aggressive dogs.

While I am always alert and scanning (for all kinds of things) when out and walking, loose dogs are the least of my concerns. Stray cats are more of a problem.

To sum it up: carry a decent flashlight at night, 9 times out of ten that does it. A good loud yell will deter most dogs. Avoid the large aggressive sounding dogs behind the fence, cross the street and move on. Don't stop in front of the house or business with the loud aggressive dog to do some "training." That is silly, annoying and a really bad idea. You are just provoking the dogs. Keep your dog under control and keep moving.

I don't have an "I got this" mentality. I just move along and try to avoid conflict with other dogs. Most dogs are really not that aggressive and a good stern yell is usually enough. A GSD is not a dog that I, personally, would be too worried about. Most are not that strong, determined and are easily fended off. Pit mixes do concern me and they are a whole other story. If your dog is under control, calm and you can keep moving your generally fine. If your dog is out of control, aggressive and you can't handle it properly when it sees another dog, you will have issues. You and your dog will be a magnet for other dogs to approach.

***You is meant in general terms and not directed at anyone in particular.***

#29 ·
***You is meant in general terms and not directed at anyone in particular.***

Doesn't really cut much ice ... when one "picks and chooses elements" of another members story to ... Critique???"

I pretty clearly stated ... the property appeared to be abandoned??? I had no reason to belive those dogs were still there??? "This" was not a "Training" exercise it was a "Walk" at night ... as we too have done for many many years ... and we also have never had a "problem" until we did. And as for "my" "I got this attitude" thanks for the advise ... but you know anything less would have gotten my first "puppy killed!!! "Ambush Predatory" and he was making a beeline for my puppy! And telling him to "GO HOME" was not gonna cut any ice as he had already burst through the front door! So you know ... he was at home???

So I spun my puppy "behind me" and I faced that dog down! Take your best shot, the dog was not looking at me, all he saw was my puppy! But my sudden appearance gave him pause and the owner scooped him ... "problem solved." Anything less than my "Approach" would have gotten my "puppy" eviscerated "advise" from "Pros" notwithstanding. And yet again as for the "GO HOME" approach?? Yep "we" do that one also ... "Police Substation" under full observation of three or four LE personnel ... sorry I did not get there names. But they would say it was 50/50, one dog did as he was told and one dog did not!

And as I "already" said ... "Door Bolters" (hmmm yet again) and they were aiming at us, so turning and walking away ... did not strike me as a "viable option??" So yes ... once again ... "I Got This" and that time, it seemed pretty clear, I was gonna take a hit??? Because the last dog "was" within 10 feet of us and showed "Zero" interest in stopping! But I slipped on the ice and went down and that is when "Rocky" choose to step up unbid and "forced the remaining dog," to reconsider his life choices??? That dog disappeared and only my continued grip kept "Rocky off that dog!" That speaks to the "Go Home" approach ... just re-saying. :)

And as to how where do these dogs come from?? I don't ponder the "mysteries of the universe??? If people say they have "this" issue "I take them at there word." But I can help them out as I don't "Dog Parks" and I don't do "Dog on the Street" meetup's. According to what I do?? I should not have any "stray dog issues???"

MAWL ... took notice in one of our on going "Dog Park" epics. And she asked "me" well if you don't "Dog Parks" and don't do "Meet and Greets" then where are all these attacks coming from??? That one stumped me?? She then pointed out that in fact most "attacks happen close to home!" And sure enough yep in 16 (now) attempts "all" have occurred "Close to home???"

And "apparently" as I can attest that is a well established fact! Perhaps "some of us" need to live in better neighborhoods??? Not really sure how to accomplish that, as most of the "issue" prone dogs are locked up in backyards???

I'll "assume" that your "advise" on the "fence thing" was meant for others??? Because it showing up in my thread "I" found fairly "condescending???" But that's just me ... so whatever. I also don't need any advise on the "difference" between a "Pit attack and a GSD." As I can say now ... "Been there done that and saw the difference" no "Break Stick required in the other nights occurrence, others are free to "discern the difference."

I'm not a "Pro" or a "Newbie" I'm just "JQP" that is also"apparently" very good at what I do. And "anyone" telling me I can't do what I've done ... gets "irksome??" As they say ..."Good Luck" with that. So thinly skinned "Advice" in the form of a lecture ... does not cut much "Ice" with me. As I've been told ... "Show some Respect" apparently that works two ways???

If people don't like my "I got this approach" fine do something different and they can let me "us" know when/if they face down a dog determined to get to there's how that works out??? I already know ... what I'll do. :)

But the flashlight, thing ... yes "sound advise" been told that for years ... blab blab. Now ... it makes sense. I'll be looking for a solution, had I had one in my hands (flashlight) ... I may or may not have dropped it ... don't know???

#30 ·
Chip,
I don't know what to say to you. My advice was general in nature. Not at all directed at you, I don't know you. I'm glad your dog is ok.

I have read a few of your posts and your need / desire to let your dog know that "you got this" thing. It is a different approach than I use. My dogs know that I am a benevolent dictator and I have their trust and respect. I have no need to prove anything to my dogs.

I really don't know what to tell you, 16 attempts from loose dogs???? That must be a record. I am all over the place with my dogs and in all my years I haven't had a handful of encounters. You must be one of those "magnets" that attracts all the loose, aggressive dogs. I've calmly walked my dogs past may loose dogs and have not had an issue. Perhaps, it is what I project and what my dogs project that we are not a target. I have also travelled extensively with as many as 3 GSD's in a motor home to trials, seminars, competitions and work events. No issues in my trips across the US, in the motor home or in my car. I must say a few of my dogs have shot a loose dog a look and the loose dog crossed the street. No barking, no growling, just presence. I'm not a huge Cesar Milan fan, but he is right about energy. I have excellent spatial awareness and am well aware of my surroundings at all times. I have not had a dog "sneak" up on me as I am constantly scanning in a relaxed state while watching my dog and his reactions to his surroundings.

The flashlight absolutely works and has saved a couple of aggressive pit/bully mixes when it stopped them form charging. If I travel or walk my dogs at night I always have a flashlight and a poop bag. I wouldn't walk a dog at night with out a flashlight. You've been told that for years, but yet you didn't do it. Could have stopped the whole incident, more than likely would have. if that GSD didn't commit to attacking your dog he wasn't that aggressive or serious. A nip is not serious aggression. It could have been handled by a yell and a flashlight for sure. Not what I consider a tough dog, nor an overly aggressive dog.

The above post is directed to you, just so we are clear in response to you. What follows is a general response. ;)

For others reading this thread, please re read my original post. Common sense goes a long way. Be alert, carry a flashlight at night and avoid the houses with the large aggressive sounding dogs. Cross the street and move along. Keep your dog in control and don't let your dog be the instigator. If a large dog does charge your dog and you can not stop it, then your best bet with a GSD may be to drop your leash and let your dog defend itself. Your dog may be more capable at defending itself than you (in general) may be. It may not even turn into a fight and the dogs will simply sniff each other. Holding your dog back puts your dog at a serious disadvantage and may cause more harm than good. If the loose dog is truly determined to attack your dog and not just bluffing, your leashed dog will be in a bad spot.

#67 ·
I really don't know what to tell you, 16 attempts from loose dogs???? That must be a record. I am all over the place with my dogs and in all my years I haven't had a handful of encounters. You must be one of those "magnets" that attracts all the loose, aggressive dogs.
Its not Chip its this area. I've had at least that many experiences with lose dogs in the 12 years I've lived here. Hubby and I put up a fence around the front of our house inside of our fenced 5 acres to keep our dogs safe. Just yesterday we had 2 neighbor dogs in the out fence barking at our dogs inside their inner fence. So frustrating. Then my dogs get blamed for barking... grrr..... I won't walk them around here. They have about 1/4 acre in the inner fence to run in. If I want to walk them we load up and go out to the river.

BTW to the person who asked about street lights....:rofl: what the heck are those... There are no street lights here.

#31 ·
Not directed at anybody, just my experience.

A dog that can be stopped with a confrontation or stern words probably was not going to do much of anything anyhow, so relax. I think a lot of times the goal for the escaped dog is a friendly meet and greet, and although that is not the same goal as the owner of the supervised dog, it should not be considered an attack as is so often presented.

A dog that is determined, and it can be a Chihuhua, to get at somebody's dog, is going to do just that. No human is quicker or more agile than a dog and body blocking is not a viable alternative for a determined dog. It might even backfire and get the owner hurt and it will set the dog up from a potential attack if the owner is not paying attention to his dog or what is going on behind them.

#32 ·
The flashlight is a good idea. Carrying a flashlight everywhere you go is a good idea. I started carrying a little 1,000 lumen flashlight daily a couple years ago. Once you have one it's amazing how much it actually gets used. After a short time it just becomes a part of your wardrobe along with multi tool, pocket knife, and if you carry, your firearm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.