German Shepherds Forum banner

Our 6yo Yorkie does not like our 12 week old GS puppy

733 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MustLoveGSDs 
#1 ·
Bella is our 6 year old female mini Yorkie, my wife's lap dog. She is well behaved but was never trained beyond the typical sit, down, fetch, etc. But apparently she rules the roost. We have had our GS Kona, 12 weeks old for almost 4 weeks. Bella will not let the puppy anywhere near her witch really hasn't been a problem since she's always up on someones lap or on the couch, the puppy is strictly on the floor. Every time Kona comes near Bella or tries to play with her she snaps, she has caught her a few times which made Kona yelp.

How do we get Bella to accept the new pup? I'm afraid that if Kona gets bit and goes after Bella it will end badly. The puppy has been very gentle with Bella and will sometimes try to play with her. Bella is still getting loads of attention, always being held or pet by someone (busy house)

And help would be greatly appreciated so these girls will play nice.

Tim

#3 ·
You need to be very, very careful with the size difference. I did not allow mine to interact too much, and my small dog is not tiny, like a Yorkie. It wouldn't take much for Kona to seriously injure Bella. Even, though Kona is the 'big' dog, she is a baby. Do not allow Bella to hurt her. It is not fair and could cause issues with Kona and other dogs down the road.

Lastly, too late now, but I would never have gotten 2 females. I stacked the odds in my favor and went with opposite sex dogs.

#4 ·
Both dogs need to understand boundaries and expectations. One dog has years of behavior issues (which haven't come to light until she has been put in situations that test her thresholds) and experiences to counter condition and one dog is a baby that will push limits and try to figure things out and make choices that might not be appropriate without you guys stepping up as good leaders to teach and show. You need to learn how to communicate with both dogs fairly and firmly so you can all learn how to live life with each other and not around each other. Find a trainer worth their salt that can help you in person assess the situation, teach the dogs, and fix your habits, otherwise this can escalate into heartbreak, stress, and frustration fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.