German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog mauling caught on video

55K views 613 replies 49 participants last post by  lhczth 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
How terrifying, the determination and relentlessness of those dogs is terrible. Thank goodness people stepped in to help.

#3 ·
Just very disturbing that people would use their dogs as weapons.And what is wrong with people who breed dogs specifically to be used as weapons?

#5 ·
I read/watched that article a few days ago on CNN and it truly affected me. Not so much the graphic attack but the fact that the victim, an artist and a master at art restoration work felt compassion for the fate of the dogs, even though he has lost a great deal of ability to use his hands, which is his livelihood.

What damage those dogs have done and, reading through the lines, probably because their owner had some psychological issues and the dogs did what they were - maybe trained is too strong a word - but allowed to do.

I also wondered what I would do if I came across such a scene? One theory of grabbing the dogs by the back legs and rotating them wasn't used, but water was, although it seemed to be lacking much pressure - those folks truly helped and probably saved his life. Would I have intervened? I hope I never have to find out but pray I would.

#6 ·
while people attempted to help they were not all that effective -it seemed to take a while

He was thrashing his arms and legs-not trying to blame the victim -the dogs were at fault-but it made me google what to do if a dog attacks

What To Do If A Dog Attacks You

I think a natural reaction when a dog bites is to try to pull away-which makes the dog just want to fight more-those dogs looked like pits to me

#7 ·
The article I read today said the victim is a Pit Bull owner himself and did not want the Pits put down. It also went on to state that the victim thought the approaching Pit Bulls were coming to him in a friendly manner to greet him. It makes me wonder how a man that actually owns the same breed could so terribly misread the intentions of the two attacking Pits.

#13 ·
Many of the bully /mixes give zero warning signs of their intentions.I've witnessed this several times personally.No change in their relaxed demeanor,big smile with hanging tongue,slow relaxed wagging tail,enjoying an ear scratch even.Then bam!

#9 ·
You make a very good point MineAreWorkingLine and it's actually caused me to looking into purchasing a book/video to brush up on reading dogs more effectively. I have a lot to learn in that area.

Yes, the folks who helped him weren't very effective but they bought him time which probably saved his life.

A year ago I made a bad mistake with my boy. I was expecting friends who had called to say they were on their way and when the doorbell rang I opened the door, knowing my GSD would be happy to see them. ... it was the UPS guy.

Bak went out the door, the guy took off running, waving his hands (to get to his truck that had no doors hmm) and I was like a bad cop .. STOP, don't run, put your hands on you chest .. then to the dog a command to quit it, come - until I got to him and he had a come to Jesus moment .. not my finest moment but it was a first for me .. I learned the importance of the place command no matter who is coming in the door. My long point being .. most people run, flap their arms and have lost all cognitive ability when being chased by a dog that can kill them.

My dog didn't bite him btw, but the UPS guy threw my package out at the top of my very long driveway.

#10 ·
They do look like dogos. This poor man its a good thing all those people saved his life. There is a t.v. show called do or die. It is computer generated scenarios and they tell you the best thing to do to increase your survival in a disaster. This one episode had same exact scenario but owner with 2 with german shepherds attacking this one man just like this video. They said if they are be attacked to crawl up in a ball would be your best bet to protect your weakest body parts.

#12 ·
I was once on a walk with Nara and Paw Paw in the city area of Portland, Oregon. I believe I wrote about it on here somewhere. Anyways, an off lead pitbull ran up on us, with his owner trailing behind screaming "NO NO NOOOOOOoooo!!!!!" No recall. No commands. Just "no!" I knew that this meant trouble was headed our way. I don't know why someone who knows his dog was troubled would EVER allow it to be off leash. I was walking right alongside one of the busier main streets in the city. Cars were buzzing by as we stopped on the sidewalk. This large pit ran right up to within 6 feet, stopped to sniff and plan, then instantly tore into Paw Paw. Not sure if he had to first determine the bigger threat, or who was the male, or who was in tact, but he chose Paw Paw's neck. I dropped both leashes, grabbed this pit around the chest so his back was pressed up against my chest, and I rolled onto the ground on my back and squeezed as tight as I could, locking him up. His head was up against mine, but he was unable to turn it to try to bite my face. This was all instinct. I did what came naturally to me, and luckily it worked. I laid there with this pit on top of me, my dogs standing next to me watching, and eventually the pit's owner came up, grabbed his dog by the collar, and dragged him away. As he was dragging him down the street and out of sight, he kept cursing at his dog while punching it in the head as hard as he could. Go figure. I had witnesses come over to check on me and my dogs and they told me they didn't know how I did what I did, and stated that they would have never known, nor could ever pull off such a thing. They were happy for me and my dogs. We were all unscathed.

However, if there would've been 2 pits attacking, this plan would not have worked. But yeah, on the video all those people approached to help and none of them really did what needed to be done to neutralize those pits. It was actually pretty sad. I remember my time living in the city, and it seemed like most of the people I knew were very VERY afraid of dogs. Sad that those brave enough to own a dog would go buy a pitbull and then not train it. They just wanted to have that intimidation factor to prove they were gangsta, like DMX the rapper who has songs about pits, videos with pits, album covers with pits, etc.

#14 ·
This happened to me three months ago. I took Kailani to a very large dog park. As we entered a pitbull ran up to her wagging his tail and seemed friendly then attacked. Luckily Kailani was able to defend herself. But the owner had the nerve to blame me and pay for her vet bills.

#15 ·
Crazy. I watched this twice just focusing on the owner of the dogs. He could have tied the one he had on leash to the tree or car and that would have given him both hands to get the 2nd dog. If you just watch this guy - he was part of the problem and the leashed dog attacked several times more because the owner brought him right back in to try to get the other dog.

This is what any of us can expect at any time walking down the street these days.

#21 ·
Yes, no guns allowed in NYC limits. Also, I read that the pit bull owner was a "she" not a "he." Not that it should matter, but men are generally stronger on average. Anyone who cannot control 1 or 2 or however many dogs in a situation like this, should not be walking them, male or female.

#22 ·
I read the article, a 55yr old woman owned the dogs, not the man you see in the video holding the leash on one of them. You can see the other dogs collar/leash on the ground where he slipped out of it.

It's a sad story, but I commend the heck out of those people for stepping in. I've heard/read about so many similar stories where no one stepped in to help. Many mistakes were made, but the fact is, they saved that poor mans life, even if he was attacked again and again after they stepped in. At one point, you can see the guy swing the chain and hit the dog, and the dog turned and attacked him. Goes to show that violence against a dog just begets violence from the dog. Those were brave people stepping in for sure!

I hope the lady who owns them does complete the physiological testing they are requiring of her. The fact that they are seems to show that she feels no remorse for the carnage her dogs caused.

#23 ·
Insane video. Shock and panic is contagious.

I'm somewhat surprised that with so many people there, no one knew how to break up the fight or control the dogs.

My understanding (wiser minds, correct me if I'm wrong) is that if a dog is attacking someone (not you) the best thing to do is grab its hind legs and lift while backing up. With the hind legs in the air the dog has no control over its movements.

And a good way to get a dog to release its bite is to grab a stick or other long, hard & thin object and jam it into the dogs mouth (perpendicular to the mouth), then pull back on both ends of the stick (as if you're on a bicycle and holding on to the handlebars).

#26 ·
According to the article that Baillif posted, the owner actually dropped the leash(es), so evidently it wasn't a matter of them getting away from her. If the article is correct, she let them go. Also, it said they took her in for a psychological evaluation, so I don't know if there was something about her demeanor that made them think she might not be playing with a full deck or what...

#29 ·
People should not feel forced to arm themselves to protect themselves, or their dogs, from somebody else's dangerous dogs. There is just something fundamentally wrong with that type of thinking.

Some people with dangerous dogs need to step up to the plate and learn how to manage and control their dangerous dogs before things are taken out of all of our hands and we all will suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.