German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog mauling caught on video

55K views 613 replies 49 participants last post by  lhczth 
#1 · (Edited)
#162 ·
Dang, and I wanted to retire in Ireland. But I ain't muzzling my dog to walk about town. That's dumb.

#164 ·
"The penalty for the negligent owner of a dog that attacks and severely injures or kills a dog on a leash is minimal or non-existent in most cities." Nail, meet head. My city has an ordinance that requires all PB's over 4 months of age be spayed or neutered. The one that attacked us was 2 and intact. No license, running free. The city chose NOT to cite the owner for any violations, and I was left with a $323 un-recoverable vet bill. And a poor dog who for several days after, had a sore back from being held down on pavement and savaged. The city even gives out $250 vouchers with a list of vets in the area who agree to speuter for that price. So, free. No excuse. I don't know an answer, either, but there just has to be a way somehow.

#167 ·
It is illegal in this country for a Pit Bull to fight a Pit Bull. It is illegal to watch a Pit Bull fight a Pit Bull. It is not illegal for a Pit Bull to fight a Toy Poodle or a kitten. It is not illegal for the owners to stand idly by and watch the horror. Who writes these laws?

#170 · (Edited)
Dang, and I wanted to retire in Ireland. But I ain't muzzling my dog to walk about town. That's dumb.
LOL

Nobody actually obeys dog laws or legislation but it exists.

Police don't enforce it. Police probably don't know the law.

Generally people who own guard dog type dogs go and research and see the law.

I see Police dogs with out muzzles GSD's.

I think the rule is there so if there is an accident then maybe you are responsible as you broke the law by not wearing a muzzle or not having prohibited dog on a leash. The issue arises if a lab bites a child, then the owner is not in any way legally obliged to pay compensation or destroy the dog unless it strayed on to he childs property. Thats where BSL breaks down compared to a dog law saying 'your dog is your responsibility, and should not bite child in public place under any circumstances.' So the Law is Flawed here and it is not why there is so little injure and no killings of people by dogs.

Why I pointed out Ireland is that I know there are very little incidents of dog bites yet we have many dogs which come under the dog legislation act. which are unmuzzled in public. Generally dog attacks happen in peoples homes in the states. That doesn't happen here. Maybe there is more of an awareness that dogs are dangerous to children in general and people are more cautious when they have a 'dangerous' breed.

Ireland is like the Hobbiton of the world anyways. Look at Czech rules and you'll see if your dog (regardless of breed) injures another or a person you are responsible legally. That is a good system I believe. A dog can go any where with you as long as it is muzzled.

I've a Bullmastiff cross and I don't use a muzzle on her now as she doesn't need it. But when I was training her she had a muzzle on in public. People though I was crazy/cruel but I was simply following the law. I was using it so I could bring this dog into populated areas safely as she was human reactive/aggressive, with environmental insecurity.

Fact is I was a responsible owner who trained my dog. Maybe the responsible owner is the bit that gets missing in the States in these neglect/negligence cases leading to injury. There are probably loads of reasons.

#171 ·
There are so many levels of "responsible dog owner" and so many "definitions".

For me, personally, a responsible dog owner means:

vaccines / titre
training, training and more training
appropriate socialization (exposure not necessarily immersion) - even this has a radical swing in definition - some of the threads on here about people's concepts of socialization has been an eye opener for many
healthy diet
training, training and more training - working breeds - get them into something that makes them think

and my biggest pet peeve of some of the dog owners:

TREAT YOUR DOG LIKE A DOG - NOT A CHILD / PERSON

IMHO, the combination of the lack of training, lack of boundaries, and the dog not being treated like a dog is the biggest problem we have in our society today - not counting genetics / back yard breeders, etc.

#172 ·
There are pit bull fights everywhere in Chicago. They steal pets to use as bait dogs. Recently I've seen a couple bigger groups get arrested and the dogs taken away. I helped many years ago break one up. They did these fights every werk n Friday's, same place(outside--kindy of nervy). If the dog lost they let it wander the streets all bloodied up with the hopes it would die from its injuries. Parents feared for kids walking to school. They would get so mad at the losing dog they would sometimes tie them to the railroad tracks. This is about money, gangs, and whose who. No one cares about these dogs, they are treated awful, starved, and beaten, but they are still loyal to their owner. Society is a mess. If you want to get the pit Bulls off the street, start with the streets. Get rid of the gangs and drugs. These are the people breeding and breeding and breeding for a quick buck and to have a bigger stock of fighting dogs.

#173 ·
That's how it is where I live too. There are many pit fighting rings, and the kisser is thrown out like trash, if not beaten to death by his angry owner. I also live in a border town, 20 minutes from two different borders (Los Algadones and San Luis). Dog fighting is a popular "sport" there, and either not illegal, or not upheld if it is illegal. They have their fights on the streets in well populated areas. Most of the adverts for pits for sell come from Mexico. They breed the winners, pull the most promising pup, and sell the rest for money. So yes, we have a population of pits bred specifically for fighting over populating responsible owners here.

Instead of dealing with the real issue and putting an end to the dog fighting and breeding of these animals, we have FB groups dedicated to "saving" these animals. I think they need to shift their focus to putting an end to the fighting and breeding instead of dedicating so much time and money to rehabbing dogs and rehoming them. Many don't know what they are doing and rehome to unsuitable homes. It makes me cringe to see the posts. I know they truly just want to help the dogs, but they are making things easier on the fighters/breeders. Much like myself years ago.

#174 ·
Some parts of the United States have been going downhill fast. You may wonder what 3rd world country you are in when you drive through one of these crumbling neighborhoods. Poverty, crime, high unemployment, low education - and dog fighting.

That is a whole other problem or group of problems. Social and cultural issues won't be resolved here.

It would be interesting to see what LE would do if, any citizen who witnessed abuse against an animal would simply take a picture with their cell phone - note the time and location and send it to their local LE agency. Disclosure about the abuse for which documentation was submitted could be made public periodically along with what steps LE took as a response......

#177 ·
The police stay out of it for the most part. Animal control is more involved but very busy and not always available. Some people have called local news to get it out there. I have personally walked up to two guys with two pit bulls that looked suspicious. They broke up once I asked what they were doing.

All the problems you mentioned are intertwined. People lose their jobs, some resort to crime of all levels. There are people on government assistance that can't find work. I'm ok with that but get your butt to your kids school, volunteer, make sure your kids are in school not on the street. These kids that run the street are offered things they are lacking at home and jump to be accepted. They are promised money that they never had, but they have to deal drugs. Then these people come into their area and then you have gang wars, because they aren't losing money to no one. They come up with ways to have that money, stealing, fighting dogs, etc. it all starts at home. There is no reason for kids to run the streets if mom and dad are sitting at home not working.

#175 ·
This story upsets me till this day but since dog fighting rings are mentioned it is a story to share. Many years ago I had run into a person who told me they had dropped their dog off to the local animal shelter to be put to sleep. The dog was sick and could not afford to have the veterinarian put him to sleep. A few days later he got a phone call from the police saying that they found his dog's mangled body at a dog fighting ring. They had identified his dog because the dog was still wearing his dog collar and identification tag. Someone from the animal shelter stole the dog and brought the dog to the dog fighting ring. The animal shelter is now and has been under new management.

#178 ·
I watched the video of the dogs attacking the man, I could not bring myself to watch the video of the dogs attacking the Lab.

In the video of the man, I would like to think that I would kick the crap out of a dog to save someone. I would kick those dogs as hard as I possibly could and I would aim for their heads! I couldn't believe more people weren't physical with those dogs!

I didn't see the little girl because I wasn't paying attention to her but what an irresponsible parent for bringing her anywhere near that scene!

Those dogs need to be put down, that attack was way too horrible and way to violent for them to be allowed to live.

#181 · (Edited)
My daughters's friends mom has a pit bull lab mix. It just turned one years old. They had a cat the dog and cat were not best friends but lived peacefully together until a few weeks ago. She heard a lot of scuffling upstairs and found the dog in her closet with the cat in its mouth. The dog would not let go of the cat and she tried to pry his mouth open and got bit accidentally in the process almost loosing a finger. Her daughter ran down stairs to get the dogs box of treats. She brought up the treats and shook the box of treats and with that window of one second where the dog lost focus on the cat , she whacked the dog in the head with something and he dropped the cat. It was her dog so she able to direct him quickly out of the room. The cat was dead due to internal injuries. Feel so sad for kids had to witness this. They worked well as a team though. I wouldn't think a shake of a box of treats would distract the dog even for a second but it did in this case even though it was to late.

#187 ·
My daughters's friends mom has a pit bull lab mix. It just turned one years old. They had a cat the dog and cat were not best friends but lived peacefully together until a few weeks ago.
This is not directed at you! But ...

"NO" the dog and cat "best friends??" Exactly what was "there" definition of that???

I have more than a decade of experience with "Bully breeds and up to 15 to 17 cats and 5 dogs, living together. And in all that time there have been "Zero" Dog v Cat situations! My record as regards Dogs and Cats living together is on here and in all the thousands of words I have typed on the subject ... I don't believe I ever used the term "Best Friends??" The solution to Prevent this happening could have been found by as I say ... "look in the mirror!"

But in as much as I "OWN" dangerous dogs what would I know???

And for the record, I would think a WL GSD (as is mine) would fall under that definition??

The dog didn't "snap" the owner was a tool! As I say the people that care to "look in the mirror" for solutions to their "dog problem!"

Maybe the solution is a buy a Pitt get a mirror, program??

And since I love doing pics:

Any of "my" dangerous dogs" could do this, but then we have a lot of mirrors!

#184 ·
To lay the blame for Pit Bull attacks on dog fighting, well, the stats just dont support that notion. The statistics show that fatalities by all dog breeds combined, including Pit Bulls, numbered on the average in the single digits PRIOR to dog fighting becoming illegal. It was not until the popularization of the cruelty of dog fighting by humane organizations in appeals to garner support from the public in promoting laws that would criminalize dog fighting that the breed also started to gain popularity as a pet and this is when the mauling and attacks began to become a problem with increasing numbers every year. To this day, it is still NOT the dog fighting Pit Bull that is causing damage and harm to the general public, it is the Pit Bulls kept as family pets.

#186 ·
This is one family's sad story of failing to prepare enough. The pictures are graphic but the story is well worth the read about somebody else's reality. If you can, skip the pictures, but do read how some communities are forced to live without laws to protect them and their loved ones.

Warning, Graphic pictures!

Neighbor's pit bull attacked my dog!!

#188 ·
I really enjoyed the conversation in this post. Thanks Bailiff. The threads seem to be degenerating and the focus has changed. But, it was great while it lasted. I have learned quite a bit - the posts from the rescues, how these issues are handled in other countries - posts from responsible owners and their opinions on the problem, the history of the breed, the effect (or lack) of breed bans and where that might lead. One of the better posts - lots of information shared.

#189 ·
A baseball bat is not always effective. We had a RCMP Shepherd grab a kid by the arm up here, and would not let go even after being hit over the head by a shovel.
Even heard of dogs being immune to a tasers effects.

#191 · (Edited)
While we are all sharing pit bull stories, I will share my first encounter with the breed. I was about eight or nine years old, we lived in a lower income area and our cats were inside/outside cats. My cat was on our front porch when a loose pit bull (more amstaff-ish, he was a big boy) came onto our porch and grabbed the cat and would not let go. All the neighbours came outside and were hitting him with everything they could find: baseball bat, someone started hitting him with one of those swan flower pots (which was full with dirt and plants), hockey sticks. There was a huge crowd, including myself and my friends (we were sent inside to be kept safe) and everyone was yelling and hitting the dog and he would not let go of my cat. My aunt and uncle (my gsds breeders) lived across the street at the time and my uncle (who is a large man) sat on the dog and choked the him until he was about to pass out and let go of my cat. My cat ran under the car and my aunt got him out, his back was broken in half, he died within moments.
Horrific, right? We made front page news with a picture of my family on our front porch holding a picture of Simba the cat. My mom was interviewed for the news, they ran a whole story on pit bull attacks.
But a little backstory on the dog. I'd seen this dog almost daily, they walked him with weights on his back, he always carried this huge (I mean huge) stick, rumour had it they kept rats in their basement to sick him on. I watched them sick him on squirrels in the park. The day he attacked my cat he jumped off of their balcony and they just watched him go. Probably in a drug stupor. He roamed the neighbourhood for a good hour before he found my cat. I watched him jump a six foot privacy fence into my next door neighbours yard where their little girl was playing. He jumped back out and continued roaming. I could see his house from my backyard, his owners on the balcony. The attack happened, which I already covered, and tons of people beating the dog. My aunt put a leash on him when he let go of my cat and that dog listened to every command he was given. He sit stayed until animal control came to get him, he was never aggressive to any of the many people who had hit him. He just sat there with a big goofy pit bull smile thinking he had done good. He had rabies tags on, animal control contacted his people, they never claimed their dog. I was young but I understood that dog had been trained and encouraged to act how he acted, had horrible owners who didn't even to bother getting him when he jumped off the balcony, that watched him jump into backyards. He was killed for doing what he thought was his job and that broke my heart. I earned a lot of respect for the breed that day. What the dog did was horrible, and he deserved to die, he could not be a pet, but he was doing what he had been taught to do and died because of it.
I'm sorry but just because some dogs have horrible owners (whether purposefully or negligently) does not mean a whole breed should go extinct, that just is not the answer.

#193 ·
Reputable breeders breed to meet or exceed the breed standard. A Pit Bull's breed standard calls for dog / animal aggression and game, i.e, to fight to the finish (kill) without regard to self harm or safety, a lack of self preservation.

What you are hearing about is over one hundred years of a breed that has been bred to fight and kill being placed in the hands of the general public who is being duped by less than honest shelters, rescues and breed advocates that lead Joe Average to believe any dog breed is how you raise, train, hug and kiss it.

#194 · (Edited)
I saw this posted on the internet, perhaps it was even on this forum. If I understand it correctly, the kill bite is genetic, not trained. Please correct me if I misunderstood what was written:

"Re: prey drive vs. prey aggression

I think to try to define things in terms of "prey drive" vs "prey aggression" is overly simplifying things, and also erroneous.

Prey drive (and herding behavior for that matter) is rooted in the natural hunting sequence of canines:
find game (track) - stalk - flush - chase - catch - kill - possess (eat) OR retrieve (return to den)

Through selective breeding, humans have adjusted this natural hunting instinct to suit our purposes. Some breeds and individuals possess certain parts of the sequence, but not others. The most obvious examples of this are in the hunting breeds.

Setters and Pointers for the most part possess the early parts of the sequence: track - stalk - flush. But, because of selective breeding, it stops there. A bird dog who chases the game once flushed is going to get himself shot. Many hounds possess most, if not all, of the sequence. Including chase - catch -kill. The Beagle, for example, is a rabbit hunting dog. It chases the rabbits. If it could catch the rabbits it would, but it can't. The reason it is designed to be a small, stumpy legged dog is to make sure it can't catch the rabbits, or even get close, or else it will also be shot by the hunter. Other breeds have had most, if not all, of this hunting sequence bred out of them entirely.

Working and herding breeds like the GSD have also been bred to retain this hunting sequence, but in a slightly altered form that allows them to channel those behaviors into things like herding, protection, etc... rather than specific hunting behaviors.

Some don't have all of it, and these are the dogs who will chase, but don't try to catch or if they do catch they don't try to kill. Others will try to catch and kill. It doesn't depend on how strong the dog's "prey drive" is.. How vehemently it chases is a result of prey drive, but whether it tries to catch and what it does if it does catch isn't determined by it's level of drive, but rather what parts of the hunting sequence the dog came genetically programmed with.

Since catching and killing prey involves what could be considered an aggression component, whereas chasing alone does not, I suppose one could say that dogs who possess that part of the hunting sequence (and will catch and kill) have "prey aggression" in addition to just "prey drive". But as I said, I think that isn't exactly an accurate way to look at it."

I have four cats that I scraped off the streets and took in after Pit Bull maulings in various states of injury, degloving, dismemberment, etc. There was a fifth that did not make it. I can NEVER look at the breed of dog that did such heinous acts to such small, friendly loving companion animals and did it with such glee and enthusiasm with any semblance of anything good and cannot fathom the mindset that would. To me, there is nothing admirable about a breed responsible for the horrible slaughter of companion animals.

#199 ·
My thing is that yes they are bred for certain things like most breeds are. They have high prey drives as do other breeds. The biggest fault with them is dog or small animal aggression. But they are loyal to a fault to their owners. I'm not sure where breeding is going wrong that they see humans as prey because that is not in their breed. A long time ago they were known to be great family dogs and great with kids. Lots of stories I hear that involve kids really could be with any breed. Lots of times its human error. Common sense says don't tie up a dog that can be territorial, give it a bone then let a child try to take that bone. Simply putting the dog in a crate would stop any tragedy, but people don't think. I've been attacked by pit bulls(well they were after my dogs) more then once, I do not hold it against the breed. They have it in them and if the owners know this(which they should) they need to be more careful and try to prevent these things. I'm more Leary of Rotts and huskies to be honest. I have met tons of pit bulls and besides the couple that wanted to eat my dogs not one was a problem. Robyn prefers Pitts and boxers over any other breed. We hear all these stories of the bites and maulings but there are plenty of stories of them doing good--saving humans(kids and adults), bouncing back after being severely abused, saving kittens in a fire. With the population as high as it is of this breed, there really isn't as many dog bites as there could be statistically. Logic says the more of them out there the more the number of bites will increase and keep making them look bad.

#203 ·
Plenty of breeds will kill cats, chickens, squirrels, and rabbits. Even my family dog growing up, some sort of sheepdog mix- who co-existed happily with cats, loose chickens, small children, and rabbits for all her 15 years- caught and killed a squirrel and a muskrat. She was a wonderful family dog and used to sleep with our cats.

Small animal aggression is quite common across all dog breeds and plenty of dogs who might kill a squirrel are perfectly safe around kids, family cats, livestock, etc.

Dogs that kill other dogs are less common. In fact, unless there is a good reason (male-male competition perhaps, or a bitch protecting puppies) very few dogs will actually fight to kill another dog- tiny dogs are a slightly different story.

Dogs killing people is so rare it makes the news. Dogs going after their owners with intent to kill is exceedingly rare.

Here's where I think pitbulls stand out from the "crowd". Plenty of dogs of any breed might kill a cat or other small animal unless trained or managed. Not at all unusual.

Relatively few dogs will kill another dog, and of those few that do quite a large percentage are pitbull or pitbull types (Dogos, presas and the like). Although plenty of other breeds may be represented.

Extremely few dogs will go after a person with intent to kill, and even fewer will go after their owner with intent to kill. Of these a very high percentage (from news reports and scientific articles I've read) are pitbulls (or similar).

So... the short of it is- all dogs can bite and many dogs have instincts to kill small animals. Pitbulls are unusual in the amount of damage they can do, the intent behind an attack (to kill a dog or person rather than just a fight or a quick fear bite), and their immunity to attempts to stop an attack once it has begun.

As WorkingLine said, as long as people are aware of this in the breed and manage accordingly, there isn't a problem. It is when people try to pretend the breed is something it is not when we run into issues.

#208 ·
Cannibalism is extremely rare throughout the animal kingdom, it is not so rare with attacking Pit Bulls.
You are fixated about a breed of dog doing harm and all other bad things to humanity and the animal kingdom.

I understand your back story and hatred for pit bulls but you should try to remain open minded and realistic. You are the opposite of some one who says pit bulls are harmless. It is a polarized position. I don't expect to hear any logical sense from that position.

Go back and read llombardos post and see her view on the social issues behind the problems with pit bulls and the people who breed them.

Do you agree. Is it the dogs are reared in despicable conditions and are a result of serious animal abuse? Or is it all genetic behavior?

How can something come out of that environment and be normal.

But I have an example.

There was a bull breed rescue in Ireland and they had 20 pitbulls. Now the lady running it began to use all the donations to the rescue to finance her life and began to neglect the dogs. The dogs were in sheds with maybe 5-6 dogs in each.

The rescue was busted and the dogs re -rescued. None of the dogs reverted to cannibalism. They were starving and they did not all fight together or kill each other. They simply sat there and suffered.

#209 ·
The reality is not only the dogs in the social issues I described are a mess, so are the humans. Society seriously plays a role in a lot of things that are just wrong within society. It just keeps getting worse daily. People label almost everything as a race issue, using color, well how about let's look at it as the human race, which is disgusting now a days.

#211 ·
All we see is the negatives, we never really acknowledge the positive. For every bite story there are probably 4-5 good stories that just don't matter. Lets be fair here, they aren't all bad. In fact most of them will do anything much like a GSD to protect their owners. This is just a few stories, there are many more here..Pit Bull Heroes Hall of Fame | BSL News

It is impossible to say they are all bad, just like everything else there are going to be good and bad within any group, whether its people or dogs.

https://www.thedodo.com/hero-pit-bu...ero-pit-bull-saves-owner-fire-1080227680.html

Pit bull hailed hero, saves Oklahoma family from fire | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

Stray pit bull found nursing two-day-old kitten on side of Dallas road | Examiner.com

Pit bull hailed a hero for saving family from fire (VIDEO) | Q13 FOX News

Family of little girl attacked by dog calls their pit bull a hero | Examiner.com

This Pit Bull Saved A Cat From A Coyote Attack! Now He Won't Leave Her Side!

Pit Bull Saves Owner's Life, Proves Dogs Are Part Of The Family

http://www.justmansbestfriend.com/p...m-her-husband-in-a-domestic-fight-must-watch/

This 72-Year-Old Woman Is Saved From Silent Killer...By Her Pit Bull!

Dog has her day, hailed as a hero | Boston Herald

Pet Pitbull - Positive Press

Mother and baby attacked by man posing as UPS driver, saved by dog | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

Rescued pit bull in New Jersey credited with saving owner's life | Examiner.com

Pit Bull saves 2 women from deadly cobra,dies wagging his tail

Chihuahua Mix Attacked By Coyote, Saved By Pit Bulls - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.