German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog mauling caught on video

55K views 613 replies 49 participants last post by  lhczth 
#1 · (Edited)
#129 · (Edited)
I am not blaming the dog or the people. I am speaking from experience, in our area only. It is what I have seen in the shelters. There are pregnant pits being shipped to the NW from CA and I have stopped seeing or recommending them as a trainer since they are not temperament tested in their previous shelter. There are just too many risks involved.

#128 ·
@Stonevintage Interesting chart and it makes sense. If people see what happens to the breeds committing the deeds, fearing their breed could be next, those people evidently woke up and smelled the coffee.

@jschrest People got around breed bans by stating their Pit Bulls or Pit mixes were Lab or Boxer mixes or else they said they were American Staffs or American Bulldogs in areas whose BSL did not include that breeds. When BSL passed in Australia and the UK, registration of American Staffordshire Bull Terriers skyrocketed as those who felt they were above the law chose to skirt the law on technicalities. This is why breeds such as AmStaffs and AB are now so frequently targeted for BSL as well, those breed owners can thank Pit Bull advocates for that. I also quit volunteering with shelters and fostering when everything became non stop Pit Bull. And thanks for the explanation on "Pitt", my phone doesn't do that, but it certainly is a plausible reason.

Here are the statistic on dog bite related fatalities caused by shelter dogs:
1858 - 1999 2 deaths by wolf hybrids
2000 - 2009 3 deaths: 1-Doberman, 1-Pit Bull, 1 Presa Canario
2010 - current 35 deaths: 23-Pit Bulls, 7-Bull Mastiffs, 2-Rottweilers, 1-Lab/Pit mix, 1-husky

@Magwart Good point. I have noticed too how those who rescue or advocate Pit Bulls are very quick to point the finger at German Shepherds and scream aggression to take the heat off of Pit Bulls and lay it on other breeds, especially German Shepherds. That is one of the reasons German Shepherd owners need to stay on top of the Pit Bull and BSL problem.

This child's mother was a known Pit Bull advocate and she did not feel the need to warn her child about people friendly Pit Bulls. Many neighborhood children played with this Pit Bull. This Pit Bull was temperament tested at the shelter prior to adoption.
6-year-old boy mauled to death by pit bull in North Carolina | Fox News

I know Texas and California are better represented across all breeds. It is pitiful that so many of those other breeds of dogs will lose their lives when there are homes waiting for them if only you could get them to shelters and rescues in other areas. But they are the silent victims, the adoptable ones who die because the shelters and rescues in areas where they would be adopted are full of unadoptable dogs. Pitiful, they did not have to die. Anybody with a heart will cry for these victims.

@Wolfy Dog Good point. The statistics show that the average age of a Pit Bull in a shelter is 18-24 months. They did a study once that spanned several shelters. While most bringing in Pit Bulls initially gave reasons as moving, dog got too big, and other bogus reasons, when shelter staff spent some time talking with them, most of those people admitted to turning in their Pit Bulls for unexpected animal aggression, be it with a family dog or cat, or other pets in the neighborhood.

#131 ·
I have to say I am still on the fence about this, mostly because I think there must be some pitbulls/pitbull mixes who for whatever reason don't fit the profile, who have lived their entire life without showing any aggression to humans at all. I also agree with those who point out that bad owners can turn a dog of any breed into a loose cannon.

But, I also think it's shortsighted not to credit genetics with being part of the problem. I mean, a lot of people go to breeders for their puppies because they believe and want a dog that has all the benefits of good bloodlines, so it goes without saying that if genetics can pass on positive things, it can also pass on tendencies that are negative and destructive. In the hands of the right people, maybe those tendencies can sometimes be checked and maybe not. But in the hands of the wrong people? Bad news.

#132 · (Edited)
I have to say I am still on the fence about this, mostly because I think there must be some pitbulls/pitbull mixes who for whatever reason don't fit the profile, who have lived their entire life without showing any aggression to humans at all. I also agree with those who point out that bad owners can turn a dog of any breed into a loose cannon.

But, I also think it's shortsighted not to credit genetics with being part of the problem. I mean, a lot of people go to breeders for their puppies because they believe and want a dog that has all the benefits of good bloodlines, so it goes without saying that if genetics can pass on positive things, it can also pass on tendencies that are negative and destructive. In the hands of the right people, maybe those tendencies can sometimes be checked and maybe not. But in the hands of the wrong people? Bad news.
No disrespect intended, but many Pit Bull owners feel the same way. It is common for them to say after their Pit Bull mauled and killed a family companion animal that their Pit Bull is still a nice dog, he never growled at a human.

I feel differently, I feel other lives matter too. I don't believe that a Pit Bull's life is more important than my dog's life or your dog's life. I don't believe that any dog should endure what this Lab puppy went through. These fenced in Pit Bulls probably never growled at a human either.

WARNING: EXTREMELY GRAPHIC

LiveLeak.com - pit bull kills a lab after eating it alive (comments)

#133 ·
I am sorry, I did not mean to imply that I think only human lives matter because I don't. I should have said "who have lived their entire life without showing any aggression at all." This, really more than anything, is a sticking point with me, the fact that there is bound to be some percentage of pit bulls who haven't done anything at all but are being tarred with the same brush as those who have.

However, I also think that it's hard to fight genetics and tendencies that have been bred into these dogs for years and years would make them a questionable dog to own. I cannot see myself ever owning one and I certainly would have a hard time trusting them around children.

#134 ·
So, I forced myself to watch that video.I'm not going to join the argument about bully breeds, but something really bothered me. I got the impression the whole thing was set up, and then the person filming did absolutely nothing to help that poor lab! If they let that dog die in that manner just to make their point about pit bulls, that is absolutely disgusting!!!

#135 ·
Misfits, I totally agree. They did nothing to try to get that lab away. They allowed an entire limb to be ripped off! He didn't start spraying the dogs until well after he say filming them tearing into that poor dog. He made one lame attempt to pull him away, and then stepped back again. Then filmed that poor dog laying there in pain and agony. They didn't try to help that mauled dog at all. I literally reared up and my stomach was churning watching that video. How do you let that happen?!?

It seemed like he was trying to get the two pits worked up again after he finally drug that poor dog away by striking the fence a bunch. Why wasn't he doing that while they were literally tearing limbs off that poor dog?!?! Looked like a bait dog situation to me, and he probably owned the pits :(

#136 · (Edited)
I disagree. No where on the video shows where anybody was even present when the Lab had his leg ripped off and hunks of flesh removed from its back. It took mere seconds for people to start throwing water on the attacking Pit Bulls. Just like the opening video on this thread, people do not know how to break up a mauling. I believe these people heard the puppy screaming and upon coming on the scene were taken aback. One wasted little time in getting water in an effort to break up the fight. Most people don't carry buckets of water with them in case of a Pit Bull attack.

#137 ·
What people forget is that their dog is a serious predator, no matter how they like to dress it. The way the eyes are set in the head, the sensitivity of the nose, the athletic body, the powerful teeth. Them tools are for stalking, catching and killing.

Make no mistake, you live with a potential killer. Once that dawns on you, maybe you can see how if that power is not controlled then problems may arise. And problems do arise in many breeds.

What I think about a dog actually killing another is that they built up to that point. It doesn't have to be pure genetic attraction. The learn how to fight or catch and then they go on to more serious acts.

My point is, a dog that goes to this extreme has been trained to do it or has been mismanaged and neglected. Any dog can be dangerous. Google GSD bite child and unfortunately you see negative results against GSD.

When it comes down to it I believe the pit bulls are on of the most neglected dogs on the planet with a harsh history. But If people look beyond 1830's and research the old english bulldog origins, they'll see that many peasants had bully breeds as pets and the whole bull baiting and dog fighting fraternities were organized along side trying to move the peasants off the good country land into the cities. At the same time was the Irish FAmine which was designed to do the same job to the peasants and kill a few million. You couldn't have peasants with strong burly dogs, so they started getting banned and abused. That was the start of BSL whether people like to look that far back or not.

To me a mastiff mix which I believe modern pits are, should be only owned by responsible adults who have some experience with these breeds. They should be confiscated if out and about with out owner.

#138 ·
You guys just saw a video where a man was being mauled and a whole bunch of people barely did anything and at least two filmed. Is it really all that surprising nobody wanted a piece of two of those dogs when only a dog was at risk?

#139 ·
Baliff, I think the fact that the second video had dogs behind a fence makes a bit of a difference. I'm sure many people would think twice about helping someone where they were in a position to be attacked as well, but the pits destroying that lab were behind a fence, so as long as they didn't put their hands/arms in reaching distance, they weren't in a position to be attacked as well.

For me, I think that would easily be a situation where I wouldn't hesitate to shoot if it was my dog being mauled, and **** the legal ramifications. Jesus, they ripped his entire leg off!

#140 ·
There are pitbulls out there that bring a whole new level of aggression and prey drive that does not occur naturally in nature. Not mentioning names but Ive seen and heard about pits that were so relentless to take out prey they could be fried with e collars at the highest level, helicoptered by a prong off the ground into a tree/wall/etc and choked out until they lost consciousness in an attempt to dissuade them from going for those things and they still continued to do it.

There are some monster impressive specimens of dog out there and Ive seen them end up in pet homes.

#142 ·
Newlie, I wish I hadn't watched the video. It's sickening. I rewatched after reading comments that they did try to get the dogs off asap, and it does look that way after watching a second time. I think I was in shock the first time and missed it. It's not something I would recommend watching.

#143 ·
You know, I've always sort of peripherally loved dogs my whole life, but just in the last few years I've really found them incredible, and it's led to my first GSD puppy arriving in a few weeks(!).

In researching different sorts of dogs over the last few years, coming in with no bias at all, I was pretty surprised to see the level of acceptance, or even active support for Pit and Pit-like breeds. Again, as an "outsider" to the dog world who had no preconceived notions regarding different breeds, the numbers and qualitative data on the severity and unpredictability of Pit attacks were staggering. The overwhelming stats on overall bite reduction in municipalities enacting bans or controls on the breed is also beyond the point of convincing. Numbers-wise it seems to be a cut and dry public health issue.

Dog breeds exist for a reason - we specifically "programmed" certain behaviors into certain dogs, and this current trend of saying that creatures designed to be surprise aggressors are just like any other dog, and it's always the owner - well, it's just a striking example of emotion over science.

I realize this is a longstanding issue in the animal world, and even boring to hear again for those of you with years of experience, but I appreciate the civil tone of this forum, so I feel comfortable sharing these thoughts here.

#166 ·
You know, I've always sort of peripherally loved dogs my whole life, but just in the last few years I've really found them incredible, and it's led to my first GSD puppy arriving in a few weeks(!).

In researching different sorts of dogs over the last few years, coming in with no bias at all, I was pretty surprised to see the level of acceptance, or even active support for Pit and Pit-like breeds. Again, as an "outsider" to the dog world who had no preconceived notions regarding different breeds, the numbers and qualitative data on the severity and unpredictability of Pit attacks were staggering. The overwhelming stats on overall bite reduction in municipalities enacting bans or controls on the breed is also beyond the point of convincing. Numbers-wise it seems to be a cut and dry public health issue.

Dog breeds exist for a reason - we specifically "programmed" certain behaviors into certain dogs, and this current trend of saying that creatures designed to be surprise aggressors are just like any other dog, and it's always the owner - well, it's just a striking example of emotion over science.

I realize this is a longstanding issue in the animal world, and even boring to hear again for those of you with years of experience, but I appreciate the civil tone of this forum, so I feel comfortable sharing these thoughts here.
Yes, I feel very good about this. All of us have debated the issue fairly and, despite strong opinions on both sides, have pretty much kept on track without disintegrating into personalities. It's not always easy to keep your temper when you feel passionately about something, at least that's true for me. But losing your temper usually means that you stop listening and when you stop listening, then you lose the opportunity that you might learn something.

#144 · (Edited)
Can you direct me to the dog specially designed as a pet.

Maybe everyone should own Tibetan Terriers.

Malamutes want to pull a sled 100 km a day. You think they'd be a good pet. Well guess what, they are in a lot of cases.

Bullmastiff, designed to protect large estates. You think they'd make a good pet. Well you guessed it, yes in a lot of cases great pet.

German pointer, designed to scent and sight prey, point, stalk, flush and retrieve. They make good pets too. lol

GSD, I wonder what it was designed to do. I hear it makes a good pet.

this current trend of saying that creatures designed to be surprise aggressors are just like any other dog, and it's always the owner - well, it's just a striking example of emotion over science
I didn't know a pit bull was bred/designed to do surprise attacks at all. The actually pit dogs were bred for stamina and longevity in the pit. A real dog fight lasts hours. That is the cruel aspect of it imo. Plus the training involved and hardening of dogs.

To say a regular dog who was never brought up in that environment will act the same as a dog in the situation is totally non scientific behaviorally. That is the emotional response and the uneducated one.

Some one with a dog prone to prey on dogs and or people ought to have that dog in a muzzle and under strict management. That is why people say blame the owner not the dog. It is the owner who allowed there dangerous dog out or off leash to cause destruction or damage.

I wonder though, are you interested in dog statistics in Ireland. We have a large mix of dogs here and very little issues. Does that tell us something about the social issues facing the US compared to other countrys. Why does the US have the highest rates of dog bites and fatalities in the world. Is it a social problem or is it a problem with a breed of dog?

#152 ·
Can you direct me to the dog specially designed as a pet.

Maybe everyone should own Tibetan Terriers.

Malamutes want to pull a sled 100 km a day. You think they'd be a good pet. Well guess what, they are in a lot of cases.

Bullmastiff, designed to protect large estates. You think they'd make a good pet. Well you guessed it, yes in a lot of cases great pet.

German pointer, designed to scent and sight prey, point, stalk, flush and retrieve. They make good pets too. lol

GSD, I wonder what it was designed to do. I hear it makes a good pet.

I didn't know a pit bull was bred/designed to do surprise attacks at all. The actually pit dogs were bred for stamina and longevity in the pit. A real dog fight lasts hours. That is the cruel aspect of it imo. Plus the training involved and hardening of dogs.

To say a regular dog who was never brought up in that environment will act the same as a dog in the situation is totally non scientific behaviorally. That is the emotional response and the uneducated one.

Some one with a dog prone to prey on dogs and or people ought to have that dog in a muzzle and under strict management. That is why people say blame the owner not the dog. It is the owner who allowed there dangerous dog out or off leash to cause destruction or damage.

I wonder though, are you interested in dog statistics in Ireland. We have a large mix of dogs here and very little issues. Does that tell us something about the social issues facing the US compared to other countrys. Why does the US have the highest rates of dog bites and fatalities in the world. Is it a social problem or is it a problem with a breed of dog?
MadLab, I am curious if the comparison allows for the differences in population. If so, what factors do you think are responsible for the differing statistics?

#147 ·
He does bring up good points. The state of dog ownership and training in the US is pretty friggin poor compared to Europe and really a lot of the rest of the world. A lot of it goes to the US "fur baby" mentality.

#149 ·
I don't watch video's like that. I know that people and animals suffer violent dismemberment deaths every day. I don't need to see it happen.

I don't think that the US will ever impose strong enough legal penalties to take care of the problem. I do know every time I take my dog out of the yard this type of brutal attack can happen at the hands of a stray PB breed.

It is astounding to me, that the prosecution rate at the felony level for human related dog attack deaths is less than 25%. The penalty for the negligent owner of a dog that attacks and severely injures or kills a dog on a leash is minimal or non-existent in most cities.

Because of the lack of control and increasing threat, a responsible pet owner must be ready to use lethal force to defend their dog against an attack by an aggressive dog that is trying to kill their pet. The law is doing nothing to insure the safety of our families and pets in this regard. We must be prepared to rely on ourselves to adequately repel an attack. Law endorsement can't respond fast enough to help. People in the area can't be counted on and are rightfully cautious about intervening.

#151 · (Edited)
Generally speaking:
Bully breeds tend to be stable and secure (bred for the fighting ring) and as a result can handle the stressful environment of a shelter better than the more sensitive dogs so they pass their test easily in that environment. Once we were going to test a young GSD and she was peeing in a corner of her kennel from fear, before we took her out. We all thought it would be a basket case but once out of her kennel, she blossomed into a lovely dog. So yes these tests are not conclusive at all.
PS: I don't watch these kind of videos. I know what is going on and don't need these images to haunt me.

#157 ·
I would not have a problem with a max 6' leash rule and muzzle while in public for my GSD - IF the law was adhered to by all dog owners. I would NOT be willing to muzzle my dog and render her defenseless against an attack by strays or owners who did not adhere to the law.

I do not see the Ireland laws mentioning Chows, Huskies, Malamute etc.

#158 · (Edited)
I would have no problem either IF the German Shepherd was responsible for an inordinate amount of serious attacks on humans and animals when compared to other breeds.

My point in posting the law was a due to a comment made insinuating Ireland does not have the problems that the US does with Pit Bulls and speculated it could be Americans, at least that is the way I understood it. Of course Ireland would not have the same problems with Pit Bulls there when they have BSL in place mandating leashing, muzzling and age appropriate handling for Pit Bulls. The same has been proven in parts of the US and Canada that do have various forms of BSL compared to those that don't.

#159 ·
You can remove a muzzle in a fraction of a second.

But maybe all this shunning of BSL, gets our breed lumped with these truly dangerous dogs, and then we have to use muzzles in public? That's nuts!

Yes, GSDs bite. You may have to see a doctor, get some stitches. Sucks. Can get that from riding a bicycle or roller skates -- I've done both to visit the ER. But, these dog-fighting breeds, cane corsos, pit bulls, presa canario dogs -- the put you IN the hospital, or the morgue.

No one wanted to touch my BSL comments. That's ok. I know how that is just taboo around here. But I am sick to death of the damage these breeds of dogs do, and it hurts all dog owners, and owners of other interesting breeds even more. People who TRULY fancy these dogs have to get off their duffs. They have to stop defending them by suggesting the dogs are not to blame, the dogs are not really pits or whatever. They have to stop portraying their dogs as babysitter dogs. They have to stop bringing up Pete and The Little Rascals. The crap Pete did in The Little Rascals wouldn't fly today. We liked him as children, but if you go back and watch the series you will see Pete attacking PEOPLE. Yes, that's right, the dogs that should NEVER attack people. He did. Lots of times. And he was generally loose, or in the care of kids, that today someone would call Child Protective Services if they were on their own in a park across the street.

#160 ·
I will touch this comment. I agree with just about everything you say. In order to learn the truth about Pit Bulls, I spoke to reputable Pit Bull breeders, and Pit Bull owners who know and love the animal aggressive, gamebred dog that Pit Bulls are. In order to manage and control, you have to acknowledge the problem. I spent a lot of time on game forums talking with these people. I found out that those who truly love the breed for what it is purposebred, hate hate hate Pit Bull advocates for the same reasons that you addressed. It is their denial of the problems that are causing and creating Pit Bull problems.

Nobody would ever answer why they don't do anything about it, but the I have asked the same questions of German Shepherd owners, and got the same response... crickets.

If we don't do something to protect our breed, who will?

And just for the stats, it is not the bred to the standard Pit Bull that is attacking, mauling and killing people and pets. Those attacks are very, very rare. It is the Pit Bull being kept as a pet by people who deny the genetic propensities of the breed that are responsible for the vast majority of these extreme attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.