German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog mauling caught on video

55K views 613 replies 49 participants last post by  lhczth 
#1 · (Edited)
#31 ·
I can't watch this video, the story itself is disturbing. I see all the comments and read how they were so focused on this man and no matter what kept going back at him.

Some people are just not right in the head.

Look what this lady does with her dog...

http://youtu.be/HDJiNUuSOaY

#33 ·
I watched it.

A man had a little girl in that crowd and the dogs were still running around. If that girl would have turned on the child... He then walked the kid over to where the guy was bleeding, no one was offering any aide to the guy, but the gawping guy with the little girl, probably should have gotten her out of there. She didn't need to see that, and it was unsafe.

#37 ·
I was stunned by that! That father exposing his little girl to that and not protecting her and shielding her from the scene - seemingly in a dumbfounded haze about what he was seeing and wanting to see more..... this is what scares me most about this whole mess. A perfect example of why people are becoming desensitized to violence. How very sick.....

When I was young, my mother and father shielded me from witnessing carnage (bad car accidents) or violence and I learned to loath it from their shocked and sad emotions. What is this little girl learning?

#34 ·
I watched it- one thing people in general and in the comments don't seem to understand is that this isn't training. I doubt the pits or Dogos (irrelevant) have been attack trained. I doubt they've had any training at all. Most people don't train their dogs to sit, much less attack on command. These dogs are doing what comes naturally to them, and is fun. It isn't about working for their owner, not at all. They are just having a good time.

The key if you or a dog is being attacked is to stop it early. Years back, a pitbull burst out of a door (broke a tent) to come at my dog and I knew this dog was going to try to kill my dog- I had watched the dog earlier walking around the campground and was already worried about him. I don't know exactly what I did but I do remember running toward the charging pit, yelling (not screaming), and kicking that dog where it hurts (the belly). The dog turned and ran before making contact with my dog. My friends later told me that I was a completely different person when I was fending off that dog- I think I scared them a bit. The owner was in no way apologetic, he heard an earful from me, too.

My point is- if you can turn the tables and become an aggressor and not prey, even two pits will probably turn tail and run before making contact. It's all a game of nerves, really. I see this with wild animals, too. A full grown grizzly will run from a few dogs, because it is not worth the fight. Animals have a split-second to determine fight or flight. If you can push them into flight, in that millisecond you have to do so, you have won and will not be a victim.

It's not a matter of physical strength.

#39 ·
they look like dogos but sound like pits - they also appear quite small (55lbs vs 85lbs), but I agree, that's irrelevant (although I'm sure dogo and pit owners would appreciate clarification)

anyway, I believe the dogs could have been trained and by trained I don't mean in terms of professionally and reliably trained in personal protection. tether an aggressive or unstable dog, taunt it while the owner strokes it... good girl good boy blah blah blah - say get em a few times... maybe allow the dog to chase someone over the fence and voila, by "hood" standards - they're "attack trained" and I think that's what bystanders are referring to as trained. for Christ sake - the 2nd article even suggests that being fed raw meat had something to do with this, "looking for blood". gimme a break.

#40 ·
Originally Posted by Stonevintage
I'm not. The people who carry have no intention of protecting anyone but themselves or their family. Just the way their mind works. They would watch and say "that dummy should have carried like I do".....

Heck, why would I or anyone else that has studied and taken the time and effort to obtain a concealed carry license be offended by those statements. We aren't a bunch of self-serving idiots. I agree with Bailiff about the bat or any other way to take those dogs down, and if that would be a gun then so be it.

#46 ·
I was watching the dogs so closely, I never noticed that poor little girl. I had to rewat ch the video after reading the comments. How sad for her, and how negligent of that father! I would never walk my kids towards dogs attacking!!

As for the comments about concealed carry, I do have a license to carry, but I don't always. It depends on where I am going. I will say that I wouldn't have shot at either of those dogs though. Not because I am only out to protect myself and family, but because there were so many people milling about, anyone trained in gun safety knows how dangerous a situation it would be to shot with those dogs so close to humans at all times. Even the guy with the baseball bat went to rush one of the dogs, and another guy got in the way of him swinging at the dog. It's a dicey situation with that many people there. Just my two sense on the gun issue, to shoot or not to shoot ;)

#48 ·
I'm wondering, what is your understanding of the Law as taught in the concealed carry classes? If you shoot someone or something that is threatening (life endangering) to yourself or your family - you are within the law. If you shoot someone threatening your pet (with deadly force) - you are not within the law to shoot. If you happen upon a scene like this, you are not allowed to shoot to protect a stranger. You are not allowed to discharge your weapon in most cities and are subject to legal sanctions and law suits if you do. It is my understanding that this is a legal measure to prevent "vigilantism"

#49 ·
I was referring more to gun safety than legalities here. Some people get CCP for the show of having one, and don't care two whits about safety using one. In this case (legalities aside) it would not be something a responsible gun owner would do. You always put safety first, and opening fire in this case could, and probably would have, injured more than just the dog.

Yes, in my state (the laws vary state to state) I would not be legally in the right to shoot either dog. However, if it wa a person commuting the brutal attack on that man, I would be within my legal right to shoot.

We have a case in my city now where a man shot and buried (still alive) his roommates Pitbull. He said the dog attacked him, and he panicked. He now faces jail time. He pled his case down, and is still awaiting sentencing, but even his "self defense" claim wasn't enough to keep him out if jail. So instead of risking trial, he accepted a plea bargain in exchange for a guilty plea.

I don't want to start a war about guns, or right to bare arms, or about pits, just stating my opinion. I don't think any responsible gun owner would have attempted shooting those dogs. More of the vigilantly type person that we hear about shooting dogs in dog parks would be okay shooting in that situation.

#51 ·
So, I am almost afraid to post this, but how do people stand on breed specific legislation? The first thing that comes to my mind is what if it's pit bulls today and German Shepherds tomorrow?

I have a family member and a friend who have pit bull mixes that have never shown aggression and they are obviously very much against it. I don't like discriminating against a breed either, but the overwhelming statistics on dog bites are frightening. If it really is mostly instincts and genetics and not training, then where does that leave us?

#52 ·
Sorry, I'm not questioning gun safety at all, in fact, I'm considering getting my cwp soon. So, my questions in a situation like this video.

If you could have walked up to one of the attacking dogs and say yelled "CLEAR - firing weapon here) and had the area cleared and put your weapon on the attacking dog's head and fired. Would you have been cleared of charges?

#54 ·
Stone, in this case the law wouldn't be on my side. I could face charges, quite a few of them. But, under the circumstances, I doubt any charges would be filed. If that makes any sense? The dogs continued to attack over and over again, after many other means were used. The only person in that video that wouldn't face charges would be the man wielding a hose. The people hitting the dogs with their fists, with the chain, the gentleman with the bat, they could all be charged. But more than likely, none of them would because they were protecting and assisting a man being badly maimed. I think the law is enforced more if I was to just walk up and blind fire into an animal showing danger signs (but not actually attacking) than walking up, clearing the area, and shooting these dogs that were intent on killing that man. The likelihood of everyone clearing out for a safe shot is low though. Especially since that would leave the man being attacked unprotected, which means the dogs would be back on him, and I would risk him being injured by any bullet shot at the dogs. It's easy for a bullet to clear and exit an animal that size and to keep traveling to the person below of in front of him, this case being the man being maimed. Also depends on the caliber of the gun and the ammunition being used, but I would never be comfortable shooting in that situation either.

#57 ·
As for breed bans, I am torn. The demand for pit puppies in my area at one time has caused BYB to come out of the wood works. There are literally posts daily about a new litter of red or blue pits for sale. Sometimes 3-4 posts a day. I don't think it's fair to ban a breed, but I can see the reasoning behind it.

I think what would be more effective is having to have a permit to own one, like you have to obtain for exotic animals. I don't think insurance companies should ban the owners from getting insurance, I think they should have to pay a higher premium than non bulky breed owners.

I think shelters need to do home checks like rescues do when they are adopting out these breeds. Our local shelter has free out days. We have so many overflowing in our town, that they adopt them out for free to clear space for other breeds, but end up with just another round of the facility being full of pits again, causing them to offer them up for free again.

I think if the city adds a higher fee for licensing these breds, and heavily fining anyone owning one without permits and licenses, it may prevent the BYB from breeding as often because the demand will go down for the breed. The shelters won't be so full of them, because it would be more difficult to obtain one, and only people that truly love and care about the breed will jump through those hoops to own one.

But that's a perfect world (aside from no aggression in dogs, of course), but as much as I would love that to work, you'd probably still have to druggies and gangbangers owning them illegally, just like they do with all their guns and drugs.

#59 ·
It really depends on the dog, the angle, the distance, and the area the dog was shot. It could easily clear his head, a side belly entry, a leg entry, and so on, depending on how close to the dog I was when I fired. If I was standing right above the dog, missed the spine, and just managed to get his side, it could easily exit and enter the man beneath him. If I fired from further away, got a clean shot in a very thick area of the dogs body, it's not as likely, but could still happen. It's basically just not worth the risk. Like Baliff said, the bat at the right angle would have been the best choice in that situation, but from what I could see, he never had a clear enough area to make that swing.

Also, keep in mind that pits will stay locked even after death, and generally the bite gets deeper and harder, so the best bet is to knock them unconscious, not kill them. Throwing a blanket over them to where they can't see, and removing them once they released should also work in theory. A constant steady stream of water to the face should also work in theory. In the video, you can actually see that is the only thing that backed the dogs off, but for some reason he stopped spraying them. There are a lot of ways it could have been handled better, but I still applause all those that stepped in and tried almost all means to get those dogs to stop attacking.

#61 ·
Thanks! No easy answer. I wondered if putting something over their eyes or "waterboarding them" had ever been tried ( hose directed to mouth and nose. To me if you swung for the trees and didn't hit the right spot - you'd end up with what the guy that connected with the chain got.... My plan is to use an ice pick - bigger target - to collapse the lungs.....

#97 ·
I'm not an adult male, but I'm a physically fit almost 200 pound female, and here is what I posted about what happened to us: Prior to summer 2014, I was a long time defender/supporter of pitts. That all changed when Lillie, walking quietly on leash by my side, was attacked by a loose intact 2 year old male. He was intent on killing her. Paid NO attention at all to my many kicks in his side, his throat, his nuts, wherever I could connect. I told the reporting officer I thought it was 6-8 times, a witness said "No mam, it was more like ten" but this dog didn't even whimper. At one point, he had Lillie pinned on her back on asphalt, with his jaws around her throat. The only reason she didn't die was a contractor working nearby raced over in his truck, pulled out a long 2X4 and clonked the pitt over the head with it. Laid him out, didn't kill him. The owner surrendered him because, to quote the shelter staffer I talked to "They'd had problems like this with him before" and he was euth'd. Now, I carry something with me with enough weight and God forbid one charges either of us again, he's getting a broken skull. I will never forget hearing Lillie's cries, and feeling so helpless and upset that I couldn't protect her. ---------------------------------------------------------- I do respect the people in the video who tried to help, but you have to (believe me!) be VERY committed to what you are going to do, to seeing the thing through to the end. The pit that attacked us was very focused and would NOT have been turned away by water from a hose, or nearly anything else. A friend's trainer upon hearing my story, said that I should always carry treats and throw them out in front of the dog. Yeah, right. I had nowhere to go in my location, could not get on top of a car or behind a fence or any of the other things they tell you to do. I will worry about the law later if I have to, but I'm prepared to go before a judge and state my case, and the incident number for the prior attack is burned into my memory banks. I think I will be understood.

#70 · (Edited)
Your top dangerous dogs are Pitts, Rotts, GSDs, and dobes. It doesn't matter what we think, the insurance companies have already put in place a trail to lead to breed restrictions or bans. I do consider any of these breeds dangerous, especially in the wrong hands. I read of at least 3 deaths that were caused by GSDs, probably last year alone, I'm not sure where the number 1 is coming from? It sure isn't clmparable to Pitts or Rotts, Rotts cause a lot of damage too. After my encounter with the Rott and trying to get his jaws unlocked from my pups head, I'm really leary of Rotts.

#72 ·
Is there no law in the US that says pit bulls MUST wear a muzzle when out in public at all times, no exceptions?

#74 ·
We have that law here and it's unenforceable. Pitbull 's everywhere here in Orillia and I've yet to see one wearing a muzzle. Pitbull puppies everywhere here when they are no longer allowed to be bred. The owners simply say they are a mix and the bylaw officers say "ok". My sister has a 15 month old pitbull when breed ban took effect in 2005 I believe. Should her dog bite someone on her property, her house insurance will refuse payment as she has a banned breed that could easily be proven as purebred. Will the rescue who lied about the mix pay out?

Bite stats for pitbulls has dropped dramatically since the ban so the critics will say it was effective.

#73 ·
Deb, I think that would probably be difficult to enforce, and could easily transfer to any large breed.

We have pits roaming my neighborhood freely. Heck, the guy behind me leaves his two in the backyard 24/7, and they charge you through a gap in the fence when I go to take my trash out. We have large community trash cans in the alleyways between the back of out houses. I literally have to carry a large stick and smack them in the head with a full swing to get them back into their yard. It makes taking the trash out a scary ordeal.

On that same token, we also have GSD's that get out and roam a lot as well. The "lost and found" pages on FB are mainly pits and shepherds getting loose. I have a GSD BYB across the street and one house down from me. She breeds the same bitch to the same male every heat cycle. She puts a sign outside her house to advertise them, and sells them at 5 weeks of age.

Both the pit owner and the GSD owner is legally in the wrong, but animal control here is overwhelmed and do nothing, even after numerous reports from multiple people. It would be great if they put laws into place, and then actually upheld them, but that just doesn't seem to be the case in most communities.

I think it basically comes down to owners. Some have no issues with letting their dangerous dogs roam the streets. I have a dangerous dog, both to people and other animals. If she got loose, it wouldn't likely end well for any party involved. But I take precautions. Signs posts everywhere, pad locks on every gate, have made calls to every utility company to alert them that there is a dangerous dog on the premises. I walk her with a collar/leash and a vest/leash, because she is strong enough to pull me down with just a collar. I take her to more remote places to walk her. She is crated when anyone is over to do work on my house. She is worked with a trainer one on one to help with her issues. But even with all that, she could still get loose, and then I would look like the idiot owner that couldn't/wouldn't control their dog, or it could easily look like I intentionally trained her to be that way. But I cannot muzzle her. I have tried every kind out there, and she inflicts large amounts of damage to herself (needed 2 stitches with the last try) trying to get it off. She goes berserk and no amount of treats, distractions, or commands can get her to stop. So maybe I'm biased. I would hate for someone to tell me she must be muzzled at all times off my property. She would never be able to leave my property.

#75 ·
Boy, I'd hate for my people loving, social outgoing Amstaff Terrier (pit bull) to have to wear a muzzle out in public..

The thing is the breed is supposed to be very social, open and friendly to people... Not aggressive at all.. Unfortunately, it's the people that screw it up in breeding dogs that should not be bred..

The whole situation is sad..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.