German Shepherds Forum banner

Help asap!

18K views 163 replies 38 participants last post by  wyoung2153 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm just going to lay the scenario out, I know I'm bound to get some negative comments but please be kind as this has been the most traumatic week I've ever been through.

As some of you saw, last week the boys had an incident with the neighbours schnauzer , who is on the mend and up and walking around now I might add.
The next day (last Saturday) my husband and are were to dog sit my parents two beagles. All of the dogs know each other well, play together and sleep together on a regular basis.
We should have used our brains and not left the boys alone so soon after the chaos from the day before.
We came home to pick the dogs up who had all been left out loose together in the "sideyard" (basically a yard off of the detached garage that the dogs go in and out of through the day while we are gone).
There had been another attack. Now, since no one was home, we don't know what triggered it all we know was the Drew (10 year old beagle) was severely injured. My husband and I rushed her to the emergency clinic, where she said for the remainder of the weekend hooked up to iv fluids and had surgery to repair damage done to her abdomen. I do not need to go into graphic detail of what shape her body was in as I'm sure German Shepherd vs beagle paints the picture.
Drew passed away in Monday after she went into cardiac arrest.
My heart is shattered, not only for the loss of my girl, but that my boy did it.

Now my family has put me in a position that they are basically saying I need to get rid of Wile E (we believe he was the one to do the damage).
They think that now he is going to turn on my household, my kids mainly. I've assured them that I am contacting trainers and the breeder to get the help that I need to manage the dogs. But they don't seem to think that that will matter and want the dog out of my house.

Help.

I have cried for almost a week straight, I laid last night crying as Wile E licked the tears streaming down my face... How can I look at him and think of just... Giving up ... When in this tragic time... He is the one consoling me!?

See less See more
#156 ·
Awesome. Good to have more links to the same kind of leash we love. Thanks for sharing those. I haven't ever had leather, but we are looking at this one next, it's the same brand as the nylon ones we already use.

http://www.hundeshop24.biz/adjustable-Leash-Hunter-SPECIAL-EDITION

Curiosity, why leather over Nylon? Is there a benefit?

#160 ·
Question for everyone giving advice on this situation.

The boys have both been doing great the last few weeks...
But the other night I ran into a situation that was handled but I don't know if I handled it correctly...

I had Wile E out for a walk in the conservation area just down the road from my house where we go nightly... Most people are really good for keeping their dogs on leash since they have been really cracking down with the law. He is not leash reactive at all, he will look at the other dog and then look at me and carry on... But the other day we were approaching a man with his little poodle who was off leash...

What I did was stayed calm, and put myself in between Wile E and this dog that was approaching and just kept walking, I stayed on the opposite side of the path... I got the classic "oh he's friendly" line.... So I gave him the "well mines not"...

Wile E didn't react and just kept on walking...

Did I handle this ok!?

#162 ·
Yes, I would have also said, "Get your dog!" But it sounds like there were no accidents and injuries so all is good. Lots of people with breeds not likely to be aggressive, never consider that anyone would take a less than 100% bombproof dog out in public.

#164 ·
That is exactly what I would have done. We have some issues with dogs in our neighborhood close to my house where theirs are not leashed, and often the owners are not outside with them. I just get in between them and Titan and take it from there. A few times I have had to face the dog as it's barreling toward us, but they turn away once they realize I won't let them get away with that. It's all about "protecting" our dog, not even just from harm, but just from starting something it shouldn't. You did well. I would have put up my dog after and gone to the owners about their dog being off lead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.