OMG. What do we do now? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default OMG. What do we do now?

Hi members,

I am really concerned for the future of our GSD Wolfie.

We adopted him at 10 weeks old, gave him a loving home and had a professional trainer work with him on basic commands. He walks perfect on leash and shows no aggression towards animals or people during walks.

At 6 months old we noticed a high prey drive when he caught and devoured a squirrel. He also started to show increased aggression at the front door when somebody knocks.

He is now 9 months old and 75 pounds. I am able to heel him by leash for visitors at the front door, then he eventually stops barking, sniffs the visitor and calms down.

Now, the problem. The other day my girls were playing on the front lawn when a neighborhood teen went skateboarding by. I opened the door to speak with the girls and Wolfie ran out of the door and charged the teen across the street. The kid was able to jump over a fence to protect himself while the dog had his paws on the fence top growling and barking at the teen. When I grabbed his collar to stop the attack, he actually tried to bite my hand. God knows what would have happened if there was no fence there.

What do I do now? I appreciate a dog that wants to protect his family but doing it on public property is pushing it. I know he meant well but is it worth getting sued, losing my home insurance or having the dog put down by the courts?

BTW, I have owned a GSD previously and not experienced this behavior.
Attached Thumbnails
OMG. What do we do now?-p1010009.jpg  

Last edited by Danny G; 08-31-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Danny G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Step up your handling. Wolfie has way too much freedom. He needs to look to you for direction, not take things into his own paws. Seriously, take control, show him you are his world and he needs to look to you for all decisions. It won't take him long to understand(practice NILIF)
This is the age most dogs get rehomed/dumped at shelters because the dog is becoming independent in their thoughts and don't really know how to decipher situations due to immaturity. It is up to the handler/owner to step up and show the dog they have the dogs world under control...giving the dog relief and confidence in the handler.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
It is up to the handler/owner to step up and show the dog they have the dogs world under control...giving the dog relief and confidence in the handler.
Could you please be a little more specific. The dog knows I am Alpha but if he slips out of a door and goes wild on somebody, how can I remove that high defensive drive? My previous GSD did not display this behavior. Is this a defense drive on steroids?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

onyx, was he protecting the family? it doesn't sound like it to me but I'm interested in what you think

op, he should've never had the chance to run out the door.

also, he might not 'know you're alpha' what does that mean in your interpretation?
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Let him know through training that his actions are to be held accountable. Do you do any formal training with him?
Young dogs do like structure, rules and routine, it builds their confidence when they have handlers that do control their being. Freedom comes earned. Dogs that feel the need to control their world lack confidence when they are so young they can'd deal with all that decision making.
If he decides that rushing out the door is necessary, he needs to know you let him do it, it wasn't his 'choice' Otherwise don't allow him the freedom to make such decisions. Set him up to succeed.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
onyx, was he protecting the family? it doesn't sound like it to me but I'm interested in what you think

also, he might not 'know you're alpha' what does that mean in your interpretation?
In his young brain, yes he thought he was protecting, but it is a fear based proactive reaction...and not acceptable. The handler allowed the poor decision to be made, because a young dog is not always smart enough to decipher decision making judgements.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post

If he is going to be penned or crated all day in the event that somebody comes to the door, that IMO is just as bad as being sheltered.

Besides being professionally trained, I work with him all of the time. Incidentally, I have walked the dog past the teen that he attacked many times before the attack. In his mind I guess that when he is walking with me, he has a job to do and that is to stay tight to me, look forward and walk.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Our dogs are not penned or crated all day, but they aren't allowed to crowd the door if I have it open. I make sure I know where they are before I open it. I tell them stay, but always keep an eye on them.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny G View Post
If he is going to be penned or crated all day in the event that somebody comes to the door, that IMO is just as bad as being sheltered.

Besides being professionally trained, I work with him all of the time. Incidentally, I have walked the dog past the teen that he attacked many times before the attack. In his mind I guess that when he is walking with me, he has a job to do and that is to stay tight to me, look forward and walk.
Just put a leash on him. When someone rings a bell I either put a leash on him or lock him in a room

I doubt he was protecting you. There was no threat, you didn't tell him to protect. He ran out on his own to chase a teen of out of insecurity.
But let someone with more experience reply
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
If he decides that rushing out the door is necessary, he needs to know you let him do it, it wasn't his 'choice' Otherwise don't allow him the freedom to make such decisions. Set him up to succeed.
I understand your point but I bet there are very few people that can say they never had a dog run out on them, whether it's a Golden, Lab, or GSD.

I think it's more of an urgent point that the dog showed aggression away from his home rather than how he accidentally slipped out the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.