OMG. What do we do now? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2014, 10:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
Our dogs are not penned or crated all day, but they aren't allowed to crowd the door if I have it open. I make sure I know where they are before I open it. I tell them stay, but always keep an eye on them.
That is what I was going to suggest. Start practicing this. Jonas used to lunge for the door like that, now I tell him back and he lets me through the door and sits there watching.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 10:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
In his young brain, yes he thought he was protecting, but it is a fear based proactive reaction...and not acceptable. The handler allowed the poor decision to be made, because a young dog is not always smart enough to decipher decision making judgements.
Remember I had a thread about the same scenario. Trying to understand why my dog ran out to the other end of the field to bark at some people? I think you guys said it was insecurity. Not protecting me for sure. Just him being scared and trying to chase them off. This sounds similar.
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 11:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The first part of training should be wait at the door. It is a life saving command, in this case for the dog and the person he chased. These dogs give themselves jobs to do if not taught different. Next on the training list would be to get this dog used to skateboards, bikes, joggers, anything with movement. Teach him to leave it and/or ignore it.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 11:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny G View Post
If he is going to be penned or crated all day in the event that somebody comes to the door, that IMO is just as bad as being sheltered.

Besides being professionally trained, I work with him all of the time. Incidentally, I have walked the dog past the teen that he attacked many times before the attack. In his mind I guess that when he is walking with me, he has a job to do and that is to stay tight to me, look forward and walk.
Are you still working with the trainer? Training is pretty much on going, my females are 4+ now and we still train, sometimes new things other times reinforcing old. NILIF was suggested, have you researched or used it? Basically teaches them everything must be earned.

You don't have to crate to control your doorways, try teaching him a place, a spot he must down/stay while your opening/answering the door. He's a pup, with training and consistent enforcement of rules you'll start to see these problems diminish.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
wants to protect his family but doing it on public property is pushing it. I know he meant well
no
this is way beyond protection
this is a combo of a dog making its own decisions and prey drive and lack of leadership

you are the boss of the home and the dog should listen to you for advice on whom to let in or near his home and who is 'a bad guy'

the teen riding by on the other freaking side of the street is not a bad guy

a teen breaking in the home with a mask and a knife or gun would have warranted that kind of reaction but not a teen across the road minding his own business

get control of this dog at once or you will lose him i am sorry to say

oh and the redirection is a problem too and you will need to get ahold of that too

the dog needs to respect you but you need to win his heart and mind with trust and leadership and not bullying him (in case you get folks who say to roll him and that nonsense)

from here out until things change the dog is on a leash at all times even if you let the leash go you can reach for it at any moment if he seems to be taking any matters into his own paws so to speak

if this boy is not altered yet now is a good time to do so and for those who think i say that too much this is a case where keeping his gonads is definitely not recommended
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Are you still working with the trainer? Training is pretty much on going, my females are 4+ now and we still train, sometimes new things other times reinforcing old. NILIF was suggested, have you researched or used it? Basically teaches them everything must be earned.

You don't have to crate to control your doorways, try teaching him a place, a spot he must down/stay while your opening/answering the door. He's a pup, with training and consistent enforcement of rules you'll start to see these problems diminish.
He is still being trained and is very cooperative on leash and cooperative in practice. The problem is that when an actual person comes to the door, he freaks out like crazy, shows his teeth and barks. When he sees that I allowed the person in, he calms down then licks their hand. The "Place" command and "Heel" work in training but the defensive urge overwhelms what he has been reinforced to do in training.

No I was not familiar with NILIF but reading up on it now.
Danny G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 11:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I understand your point but I bet there are very few people that can say they never had a dog run out on them, whether it's a Golden, Lab, or GSD.

I think it's more of an urgent point that the dog showed aggression away from his home rather than how he accidentally slipped out the door.
if this is an issue put up a gate across the front door
it is imperative you do not let this happen again

i dont know if you understand the gravity of this but in some states your dog could be classified as potentially dangerous for doing just what he did today and that is "approach in a manner of attack"
Old 08-31-2014, 11:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
no
this is way beyond protection
this is a combo of a dog making its own decisions and prey drive and lack of leadership
So even if a dog has a very high prey drive, it can be controlled? It's not a genetic drive that varies in degree from dog to dog? He did crunch a squirrel in half at a few months old after going potty in the backyard.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post

i dont know if you understand the gravity of this but in some states your dog could be classified as potentially dangerous for doing just what he did today and that is "approach in a manner of attack"
The gravity of this situation is what urged me to post this.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

most dogs have prey drive and it varies from breed to breed as well as from dog to dog

yes you can control it but mostly by management
that is you know he killed a squirrel so you need to keep him away from small furry animals that run and small birds etc

you know he chases kids riding by on skateboards and probably bikes as well so you need to keep him away from those things

and train
train train train
keep this dog active and busy and give him an outlet
an hour of fetch
get him into agility or herding classes or flyball or something

this is obviously not a dog that can sit around and wait for someone to stimulate him because he is finding his own stimulation and this is not a good thing

Quote:
The gravity of this situation is what urged me to post this.
i know you are upset and freaked out but your original post is like
"i know he wants to guard the house"
at 9mos his guarding instinct has barely kicked in
so you are misread and excusing the behavior and that is the wrong thing to do right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.