German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Fence Aggression?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/481345-fence-aggression.html)

meli_ssa4 08-19-2014 10:45 AM

Fence Aggression??

I think I am posting this in the correct forum. Wasn't sure if I should put it here or in the General Behavior one. Either way I am sure I will get some great advice.

We share a portion of our chain linked fence with our neighbours who have a 2yr old male dalmatian. They will just let their dog out into their backyard without supervision (most of the time). Anyways every time that dog comes out our 2yr old female GSD will immediate run at the fence barking and start running up and down the fence. Sometimes when we are outside all she does is concentrate on the fence almost like she is just waiting for him to come out. Once she gets into her state it is extremely hard to get her attention. When the dog comes out we try to grab her, but she just runs from us and back at the fence again, not once even looking at us. The other dog will also come at the fence and run back and forth with her. The entire time she is barking and at times it looks like she is trying nip at him through the fence when their noses are close to each other.

We have consulted with our trainer and was told to put her on her leash on her prong and correct her when she attempts this. We have done this over an extended period of time but it hasn't worked at all. And we can't just keep her on a leash all the time in the backyard where we play and exercise her. The other dog just comes out at random times so we never know. If we are lucky and hear them coming out, we immediate grab her and take her in. I am not sure if this is actually doing anything other then avoiding the issue.

Rylee doesn't typically get along with other dogs other than our male 5mths GSD. She will avoid other dogs on walks and basically just tolerates them when we are in obedience class. She has never bitten another dog or physically attacked another dog. She loves all people.

She does know the come command and will do this at any other time, except when the dog is out next door. She is never outside by herself.

Keep in mind the neighours have done nothing to try and correct their dog from running at the fence and basically blame us for their dogs behaviour.

Any tips/advice would be great.
Thanks and sorry the post got a bit long

zetti 08-19-2014 11:04 AM

That kind of barrier frustration is quite common. It will probably require an e collar to get her under control. You can try just using a bark collar so she can't rev herself up or get an e collar. As you have discovered, normal corrections are lost on her once she gets into full frenzy mode.

Nor is she going to care about treats.

Blanketback 08-19-2014 11:07 AM

That's why I don't like chain link fences. They're fine until there's something interesting on the other side, lol. Can you plant something to block the view? Not that this will solve the problem, but it would help.

You need to teach your dog not to run the fence, and the best way I can think of is to make your outdoor time quality play time. That way, the games are more important than the dog next door. And if your dog motions for theirs, then an immediate "leave it" (or whatever words you're using) to tell your dog not to bother and the next move towards the dog get an immediate time-out in the crate. It won't take long for your dog to understand that minding her own business gets all the fun in the world, and following the fence gets the opposite.

llombardo 08-19-2014 11:14 AM

Well it could be a form of play. She sees the dog everyday and you are neighbors so why not talk to the neighbor and see if they are willing to let's say go for a walk with their dog and yours with you? They don't have to be close to each other, just in the general area. If the Dalmatian is a stable dog, he might even let her smell him without issue. Maybe once her curiosity is resolved maybe the behavior will change. Training a leave it would also help. I know it would drive me bonkers:)

zetti 08-19-2014 11:18 AM

True fence aggression is nothing like play. The dog is literally in a frenzy & won't be distracted by toys or treats.

meli_ssa4 08-19-2014 12:17 PM

We did try to get them to meet one day. She just stood there and she did get a good smell of him, but as soon as he turned towards her her hackles went up. At that point I just backed her up and got her to sit for awhile well I talked to the neighbours. Then we tried let them smell again, but the dog licked her face and she didn't enjoy that at all. I put her back in a sit stay and after another 5mins or so we just both went our own ways.

She has seen him on walks and will completely ignore him.

Treats forget about them, zero interest. Backyard only fun time, tired it, doesn't work. Once she gets focused that is it, nothing will get her attention. As soon as we her get in that "mood" we try to correct. Even tried tiring her out by taking her for a walk/run in the woods and then taking her in the backyard to pee before going in the house. Thinking her mind was drained, but nope right to the fence.

Our neighbours actually tried putting up another fence (a sort of snow like fence, one that keeps the snow from drifting) about 5 feet inside their chain link and their dog ran right though it.

I guess we will just keep taking her immediately in the house into her crate each time and see how that works over the long run. Hopefully we will be moving out to the country soon and we won't have to deal with neighbours this close anymore.

I have to say as well that this is the only dog on the street she is like this with. The neighbours on the other side don't even get a second glace when they are outside. Mind you they don't have a dog, but she will still bark at the other neighbours whenever even if they don't have their dog outside with them.

Blanketback 08-19-2014 12:25 PM

What I suggested was how I stopped my dog from barking at the neighbors, and being such a nosy-pants, lol. He knows now, when he barks for no reason in our back yard, that when I ask him if he needs to go in the house, it means he'll be crated for a while. He's quiet then, lol. I don't know if zetti is right, and this is a horrible case of barrier frustration, or just a normal behavior where they know there's something over there and they're going to investigate it, because that's what they do best, lol. Good luck, and I hope you get to move soon!

zetti 08-19-2014 04:17 PM

Sounds like she's become fixated on the fence fighting.

GSDs are territorial by nature, so it doesn't surprise me that she barks at the neighbors in their own yard. I'll bet it doesn't have the same frenzied quality as the fence fighting, though.

Good luck with your move. Sounds like a good plan.

We've got block wall fencing for a reason . . .

Lilie 08-19-2014 05:36 PM

I have a large chain link back yard. I have dogs that I crate and rotate. When I take dogs to the barn with me, I'm going to have dogs in the back yard. There will be a huge fiasco the moment the dogs past the chain link fence.

I have a heavy duty walking stick. If they start the frenzied fence race, I'll stand in their path and tell them "Enough!" I do not scream. I do not beg. I do not nag. I use the stick as an extension of my arm to keep them from simply slipping around me. I do not know the magic of my stick. I've never hit or poked them. But when they see me and my magic stick, they are quiet. If they do slip around and continue, I'll take the offending dog into the house and crate him. And then go back outside.

If you've ever watched a youngster show a heifer in a local stock show. They'll lead them with a show stick at the heifer's eye level using it as a type of barrier. 90% of the time the heifer will walk quietly with that show stick right in front of their eyes. (It doesn't work with horses, I was curious and tried.) I don't know what my dogs think of my magic stick. But it works for me.

The big difference for me is my dogs know that if they stop - we are going to do something even more fun - go to the barn or the pond or run in the pastures, so they are eager to comply.

qbchottu 08-19-2014 05:54 PM

Put a tarp up for the time being and work on putting up a privacy fence

You can also plant shrubs or bamboo along the fence to block them