correcting growling - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default correcting growling

this isn't about my dog.

I read somewhere that growling should never be corrected because that's a warning and if you correct then the dog stops warning and goes straight to biting.

it makes sense. but then what should people do? let's say you have a dog that growls before he reacts. do you correct the growling? do you wait until he reacts and then correct?

what if a dog bites and growls before he bites. so every time he growls you know a bite is coming.
what do people do?

just curious.
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ya know, I correct the aggression. I do not pound on the dog. I usually just say something like, "Eh!" and then, "Enough of that, Leave her be" in a matter of fact tone of voice.

I think that to eliminate the growl so that a dog that is warning of an impending bite, will no longer growl or posture or snap first, one has to really give a very strong correction with respect to the dog in question. If the dog is extremely soft, than it may not have to be a terrible correction. But for most dogs, I think that one would really have to go overboard. Like taking a dog into a situation that terrifies them and then the moment they show any sign of fear or aggressiveness, clobber them. And probably repeat that several times.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I meant physical corrections. not pounding on the dog. popping the prong or ecollar.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dog training has a lot to do with timing. Prongs and E-collars can actually increase a dog's intensity if they feel that the correction is coming from the object they are aggressing toward whether by fear or aggression.

Giving a moderate correction to a strong dog, with a matter of fact, "knock that off!" probably won't create a dog that goes straight for the goal.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ok that answers it and makes sense. thank you
Old 08-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a growler. Sometimes it's play oriented and sometimes he thinks it's let's really rough house. Then there are moments where he growls because he wants to test me to see if he can assume the captains chair. I have found given his very strong personality that redirection is the solution. Now that may come with a clear correction or not. My boy is a nut for the ball so depending on the situation I will adjust my response but always redirect to the ball even if there is no ball around. It just clears his head.
Obviously you need to understand what is generating the growl. It could be happening for a number of reasons that may be generic in the dog or environmental.
Witz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.