Attacked at the dog park - defense methods? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Attacked at the dog park - defense methods?

My dog was attacked at the dog park on tuesday by what looked to be a pit mix. We got to the park at the same time, and even walking to the door the other dog was being very agressive.

When we got in, the two went in different directions, but later, when my pup was playing with another dog, the agressive one came out of no where and violently clamped onto his ear.

I was genuinely afraid for a few moments that it was going to tear my dogs ear off, or at the very least rip it up. When it was all over, though, he just had a pretty small scratch on his ear. Though it oozed blood for a bit, it's scabbed up now and seems to be healing nicely and free of infection.

To his credit, the other owner was on top of the dogfight almost as quickly as I was, and he apologized for his dog being agressive. He also suffered a pretty significant cut to his hand and calf which were both bleeding pretty well as he left.

My point, though, is that the dog fight was a bit scary, and even with two people trying to break it up, I don't feel as if we really had much impact on stopping the fight. I'm not exactly what stopped it and got the other dog to release, honestly.

I'm interested in a more active form of protection and ways to break up dog fights.

Kicking the agressor dog is an option, but I've read that the pain from doing so may simply spur the dog to fight harder. Plus, then you have to worry about getting into a fight with the owner afterwards.

I read about a method to grab the dog's back legs, or wrap a leash around them, and to use that to disable the dog, but I am skeptical of it, as it doesn't release the dogs jaws. I haven't used this method, so perhaps the dog will want to turn around once he sees he's being pulled away by his rear legs.

I saw some dog deterrent devices that emit loud or high-frequency noises that's supposed to ward off dogs from joggers/ bikers, etc, and while it is small and pretty cheap, I suspect it will be insufficient to break up a dog fight.

There's mace, which I'm sure will break it up in short order, but the problem is that my dog is in there too. It may be a last resort, and I'd prefer to mace them both than for my dog to lose an ear, or worse, but I would be very worried about hitting my pup. Perhaps mace comes out in more of a stream, instead of spray, so it's easier to direct than I'm thinking.

Gun is pretty much out of the question. I own several, and have had a concealed carry permit in the past, but it is a public park. Apart from the legal issues with shooting a dog in the middle of a public park, I would be even more worried about hitting my own dog.

I take my dog to the park every day, because he needs the excersise and socilization, and because he deserves his playtime after a long boring day of me being gone. Not going to the park ever again isn't reasonable for fair to him.

Anyone had any experiences with any of the above methods with dog fights before? Or anything you'd recommend?
Pattyobrien3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I'd suggest you and every other dog owner here to watch this video !! It is very clear how to break up dog fight explained in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiVJeqzMZ8
Old 07-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace GSD View Post
I'd suggest you and every other dog owner here to watch this video !! It is very clear how to break up dog fight explained in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiVJeqzMZ8
LOL sorry I am a smart alec but ... You rush in and bark??? lol No disrespect intended just humor...
Old 07-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2shepherds View Post
LOL sorry I am a smart alec but ... You rush in and bark??? lol No disrespect intended just humor...
Did you see the slide :3
Old 07-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Where the third pup slid on the seat? LOL Not playing stupid just watched it again so I am not sure what I am missing..
Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't have much experience with dog fights.. however. I'm curious if you have a yard or anything or other means of exercising your dog other than the dog park?

I am not against them, at all, I have had very good experiences with them and have a great one by my place that we visit every now and then. However, that is not the case for many. I go with the knowledge that I usually have a good time there with no issues, BUT I also go with the knowledge that there may infact be an a-hole dog there with their owner that I have to deal with.

The first thing I noticed in your story is that you said when you got to the gate the dog was already acting aggressively. That should have been your cue to leave and come back another time if, at all. I am glad the owner was proactive, but that won't always be the case.

My advice would be to find other avenues to exercise, play,. and socialize your dog so that you don't rely solely on the dog park.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
I don't have much experience with dog fights.. however. I'm curious if you have a yard or anything or other means of exercising your dog other than the dog park?

I am not against them, at all, I have had very good experiences with them and have a great one by my place that we visit every now and then. However, that is not the case for many. I go with the knowledge that I usually have a good time there with no issues, BUT I also go with the knowledge that there may infact be an a-hole dog there with their owner that I have to deal with.

The first thing I noticed in your story is that you said when you got to the gate the dog was already acting aggressively. That should have been your cue to leave and come back another time if, at all. I am glad the owner was proactive, but that won't always be the case.

My advice would be to find other avenues to exercise, play,. and socialize your dog so that you don't rely solely on the dog park.
^ THIS

Also, I too have had pretty good experiences with my dog park. But I have had a couple of near misses as well. You have to be proactive always. You have to watch your dog and all the other dogs for warning signs (postures) constantly.

I know my dog, for no known reason, "HATES" a certain dog that goes to our dog park. If that dog is present than we do NOT enter and come back at another time. If we are there and the other dog arrives, we either leave immediately or if possible, I take my dog to the puppy area if it is empty to play. The puppy area is a separately fenced area that is often unused.
I have other dog owners that will come with me so our dogs can still play in the smaller area and the other dog and owner can still have their time, too.

Dog parks are a hot button issue on here. Ultimately it is up to you to decide if you continue to go to the dog park. If you do, my advise is to learn more about dog body language.

As for good ways to break up a fight...Never let one happen to start with
is all I have.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Breaking up dog fight can easily result in injuries to the person. My dad has had stitches from breaking up two of his females before. The Thanksgiving from **** they went at it and one DID get her ear tip ripped - ER surgery on Thanksgiving $$$.

Anyways, not a fan at all of dog parks. You can significantly reduce risk of injury to yourself and dog by not going. Only let the pup play with trusted dogs, seriously.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Heres an idea...

Next time you see an aggressive dog at a dog park thats already taken active hostile interest in your dog don't go in.

Better yet avoid dog parks altogether. Its an uncontrolled environment with no structure or no enforcer and no law. Its like dropping your kid off in east LA. They're either going to end up hurt or join a gang or both.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

I haven't had to use this method but my trainer has and says it works to break up a fight.

You and hopefully the other owner grab the dogs by the back legs and pull while moving backwards in an arc. The idea of moving in a circular fashion is that the dog can't redirect.

I don't do dog parks since my dog would likely be the bully. When he was a pup he was attached in his own yard by a stray. Wish I knew about this procedure then since my dog ended up fine and I was the one going to the doctor to get patched up.

They don't forget.

Lynn & Traveler
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.