Enucleation (non GSD)making my GSD aggressive? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Enucleation (non GSD)making my GSD aggressive?

On July 4th, I noticed my old shih tzu rubbing her eye and discharge. After hours at the ER vet she had her eye removed due to secondary glaucoma from cancer behind the eye. I didnt want to have the eye removed but I eas told that it was causing her to much pain. Needless to say it was a very hard decision.. We are trying to save the other eye, but doesnt look good. She has a drain in, so alot of discharge.

We took her home late that evening and my GSD has been acting weird ever since. He smelled her and started running around wimpering. When she cries both my gsd and other dog will start crying too. We have her separated because my maltipoo keeps trying to lick her eye and my gsd keeps following her around my house.

I dont know if its the blood thats freaking my gsd out, but hes usually very quiet and loves other dogs and people he knows but lately he barks at anyone who comes near our front door. Yesterday my son took our gsd and I took my shih tzu (shes feeling better) for a short walk around the block. My gsd barked at everyone he saw getting close to us. He usuallly just ignores everyone. I had to cut our walk short. This morning I took him by himself and he was fine, but as soon as we got home he ran around the yard barking again and also doing this all night. I had to close the doggie door so he cant get out. I cant bathe my shih tzu because of stitches etc. Do you think the blood is making my gsd act weird or is it just a coincidence since hes now 18 months old?
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

That is such a tough surgery for a dog. Broke my heart hearing the crying Shadow had her eye removed. Pain patches along with pain meds barely put a dent in the pain.

Woolf, my troubled child, went through some behavior changes during that time. For a couple of days it appeared he went back in progress, but once we had a chance to really look at his behavior he was becoming overly protective of Shadow. Generally, you can't put a protective label on a FA dog, but that was what we were seeing.

What we did was separate them on walks for a period of time. Shadow needed to walk, she didn't need Woolf's crap. Upped the training with Woolf, then gradually reintroduced them to walking together. He is still more alert now when they walk together, but nothing like he was doing before.

Cute thing we have seen - he insists on walking on her left side - the blind side. I have seen him herd her away from objects when she gets to close on that side.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This is sad. Does it really hurt that much that pain killers don't help?
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
This is sad. Does it really hurt that much that pain killers don't help?
It did with Shadow. Vet had us bring her back in the next day for a fresh patch instead of the third day, as was originally planned. Gave her a sedative in the office, upped the dose on the oral pain meds. It was a rough few days.

I really hope that Msmaria's shih tzu had an easier time with it.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It almost sounds like he is protecting or trying to protect her. He knows something isn't right. I hope that the little one heals soon.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thank you all, I hope she does too. Like Twyla said, it was really painful for her. The vet said he gave her double the pain killer amount because she was in so much pain. He insisted we couldn't give her anything for the pain until 24 hours later because of the double dose. She also couldn't drink water or eat until the next day. My daughter and I were in tears the whole time we waited for her , 4 hours. I had my glasses on the whole time and the ER hospital staff kept consoling us. When they gave her to us, she started wagging her tail, that's dogs for you, Even my son who rushed to the vet hospital was misty eyed.

Thankfully she is walking around now and my daughter took her to our regular vet to remove the drain this morning. She keeps walking into things though or she will just stop and stay still when we are out on walks. The vet said this is normal?? She will be 16 in October, so I'm hoping we don't have to take out the other eye.

Do you really think he's being protective and not trying to be the dominant dog now that's she's sick.? Both my maltipoo and the gsd try to lick her face and they are gentle with her and the gsd leaves if she growls at him. He moves out of her way if he sees her walking his direction, but a friend suggested I watch them because he might hurt her now that she's sick and that thought scares me.

Last edited by Msmaria; 07-08-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nothing that he is doing says he is being aggressive towards her. He is giving her space, he knows. He is being more aggressive when she is around and he is now her eyes , he has given himself a job. Now you have to decide if he should have that job, it's not really up to him to protect her, so now you have to make both of them know that you are there to protect both of them. Others might disagree, but this is what I believe and I also believe you got a wonderful GSD.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 07-08-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Nothing that he is doing says he is being aggressive towards her. He is giving her space, he knows. He is being more aggressive when she is around and he is now her eyes , he has given himself a job. Now you have to decide if he should have that job, it's not really up to him to protect her, so now you have to make both of them know that you are there to protect both of them. Others might disagree, but this is what I believe and I also believe you got a wonderful GSD.
I definitely don't want him to be her protector or feel like he has to be.

From everything I've learned here, I don't think he's the type of dog to be comfortable in that role even if I wanted him too. He's a softie. Maybe I've been too caught up in everything that's been going on and feeling sorry for them all and babying them. Thanks for giving me another perspective on this.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
I definitely don't want him to be her protector or feel like he has to be.

From everything I've learned here, I don't think he's the type of dog to be comfortable in that role even if I wanted him too. He's a softie. Maybe I've been too caught up in everything that's been going on and feeling sorry for them all and babying them. Thanks for giving me another perspective on this.
I don't think he should be in this role either, but I give him lots of credit for knowing that something is wrong, that in itself says lots about him. Since he only does it out of the home I would just walk them seperately, there is nothing wrong with what he's doing in the house. He isn't bothering her and he gives her space. Once she is healed I think that she might rely on him in the house and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I don't think he should be in this role either, but I give him lots of credit for knowing that something is wrong, that in itself says lots about him. Since he only does it out of the home I would just walk them seperately, there is nothing wrong with what he's doing in the house. He isn't bothering her and he gives her space. Once she is healed I think that she might rely on him in the house and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

He did do it at home also, which he never does. I let my sons friend in (someone he hasn't seen in a few months) and he did a half bark ( not a woof but a woo) and ran up to him and smelled him. It wasn't a waggy tail greeting. His body was pretty stiff. The good thing was he went and sat down after he smelled him, but...He's never done that before to anyone I let in.

Agreed, I am going to walk him alone for now on, because I don't want him getting used to barking at people on the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.