Handler aggression - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Handler aggression

Hello all. I am hoping to get advice from someone familiar with this type of situation dealing with this type of dog. A little background story regarding my dog to show how much of a handful he can be. His grandfathers/uncles have competed in the highest levels of Schutzhund, some are working for police departments, and one is currently a prison dog down in the south.

At 9 months old, I got him neutered. When my vet was administering drugs to put him to sleep for the procedure, he would NOT go down. He gave him so many doses that wouldn't work, he actually resorted to having to use entirely different drugs, that are used for large zoo animals like lions. Not even an hour after this surgery, he was just making his way around my house like his normal self, as if nothing had happened. I actually had to crate him because I was concerned he'd over do himself.

Fast forward to today, and he's just turned two. Lovely dog, but I'm stumped on this problem I'm running into. He wears a prong collar, and if he gets out of line, or he doesn't do something I ask of him, I give him a firm pop with the prong collar. Firm enough, that most dogs would get the point. Not him, he'll just act like nothing happened, but when I went harder to gain his attention, he exploded.

He lunged up the end of the leash towards me, and I actually had to dodge out of the way, and he came at me again, and missed again. I managed to grab him by the neck and grab a hold of the leash with my other hand and contain him for a minute. Not even a minute after all of this, everything was fine. He was licking me and being his lovey dovey self like nothing happened. People have actually joked, that you could hit this dog over the head as hard as you could with a 2x4, then throw it and he'll still go run to grab it and bring it back to you. (Not that I EVER would, by the way, just a figure of speech.)

I don't wanna sweep this problem under the rug so to speak, but I'm "choosing my battles" if you will.

I know this sounds crazy, but I've heard of several cops owning dogs exactly like this. Just hoping someone here has had a similar experience.
K9Kane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

My first and probably correct guess is that you've unfairly corrected him multiple times and he's had enough
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It does sound like a strong dog responding to an unfair correction.

Some dogs will take whatever you give them, and some will not. I suggest getting into training with someone who truly knows strong working dog mentality, and change not so much your correction but your leadership style, so that there isn't any confusion.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

First off, how your dog responded to anesthetics should not be confused with your dog being a hard dog that is pain intolerant or a dog that needs extra strong correction : )

What did your dog do to "get out of line" prior to the correction you gave him that led to him coming up the leash at you? Was it a "fair" correction, i.e. did the dog really understand what the desired for behavior was? I suspect there might have been some confusion there.

Without any additional info, I think you need to get a second pair of eyes on the situation, i.e. have a trainer come out to observe you and your dog.

Also, if I were you, I would PM David Winners on this forum and ask to speak with him.
LifeofRiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

First off, how your dog responded to anesthetics should not be confused with your dog being a hard dog that is pain intolerant or a dog that needs extra strong correction
this
i am guessing they gave your dog ace and many dogs do not respond to it
they may have switched to something different but just because 'they use it in zoos' does not make it stronger
they do meter the dose to fit the situation

i am with the others here
unfair correction or at least unclear to your dog why it was being corrected

you may have missed some of the basics and that is why your dog is confused and reacting the way he is
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 01:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lol since when does the dog get to decide what correction is fair or unfair. I would say drop the prong and go to the dominant dog collar on leerburg or an E Collar.

I would also train just about everything positively and go out of my way to minimize opportunities for misbehavior through management.

Some dogs respond well to a come to Jesus moment and some keep coming at you until they are dead.
There is a dog I know of that was worked on 2-3 lines in an attempt to achieve compliance as he would turn on his handler if pushed. He was hung numerous times and everytime he woke up from never never land he would again attack his handler. In the end he was kenneled and used for breeding.
Personally I would have tried a more positive approach first but thats just me..
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

if a dog is confused then yes it can happen
you dont continue to reef away at the dog without making sure the dog actually understands what is being corrected for
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post
Lol since when does the dog get to decide what correction is fair or unfair. I would say drop the prong and go to the dominant dog collar on leerburg or an E Collar.

I would also train just about everything positively and go out of my way to minimize opportunities for misbehavior through management.

Some dogs respond well to a come to Jesus moment and some keep coming at you until they are dead.
There is a dog I know of that was worked on 2-3 lines in an attempt to achieve compliance as he would turn on his handler if pushed. He was hung numerous times and everytime he woke up from never never land he would again attack his handler. In the end he was kenneled and used for breeding.
Personally I would have tried a more positive approach first but thats just me..
I've heard stories like that. A guy I know that is a retired K9 handler said he had to do that to his dog before. But yeah, I was thinking about that dominant dog collar from leerburg. Just read about it recently, and it sounds ideal for the dogs that get aggressive. I actually bought an E-collar from there recently, and the "Remote Collar Training for Pet Owners" by Ed Frawley. Haven't used the collar yet,but I have been studying the DVD to be careful with it.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

What happened was was this:

He grabbed something he knew he was not supposed to and did not out on command, which he will do normally when told. I told him out to give him a chance to drop it, and he did not comply. And that's when the first pop with the prong collar came in.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Why not work with your dog instead of against him? I know it's not cool to suggest anything other than overpowering, but your brain and your relationship with your dog are the two most important training tools. clicky click--> Suzanne Clothier | Relationship Centered Dog Training
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.