how to fix aggresive behavior - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default how to fix aggresive behavior

Hello,

I am new to the forum and just was looking for input on aggression. I have a 1.5 year old male GSD, he is very timid and shows aggression sometimes. He is most aggressive when a new guest comes over to the house he will bark, raise his hair, wag his tail, and sometimes nip at the guest. I muzzle him at first when he does this, than he seems to calm down sniff the guest and let them pet him and etc. At home I can control it with the muzzle because he seems to understand that the muzzle comes out if he acts bad. But in a case like tonight when I was at my parents and was not prepared when my cousin came over he started barking and wanted to attack my cousin. I do not understand this because at the doggy daycare they tell me how friendly and nice he is. And at the dog park he acts fine with people who approach me or him. Any kind of suggestion would be much appreciated.
Thanks
RugerHeller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

From your post, I understand that these aggression problems are only happening when you dog is inside your house or another person's house and someone comes in and when you are with him. You have mentioned that he is fine at doggie daycare and at the dog park when he is with you. It seems it could be territorial or possessive behavior. Since you are using a muzzle at home, to prevent any further incidents when you are visiting, is to take the muzzle with you. Obedience work will also help as your dog can learn the down/stay and also to be quiet. If there are classes in your area, you may want to sign up.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Maybe give counterconditioning a true honest effort....and then go from there.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

He is well trained in many commands he know "bed" which means go lay down on your bed but when he starts barking at a new visitors he seems to have tunnel vision.

SuperG what do you exactly mean by countercondintioning?
RugerHeller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.