Dogs Protecting - Is it right or not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dogs Protecting - Is it right or not?

I've never been in a scenario like this before, but I'm very curious on what the outcome would be.

OK, say that you were out walking your dog and at some point on that walk you were actually in danger. Such as a gang or whatever comes up to you to mug or bash or kidnap you and your dog steps up to the plate and uses violence to protect you. Would your dog have to be put down or confiscated or declared dangerous because your dog did the right thing and saved your life? What would be the legal outcome?

Another similar scenario. What if you were in bed asleep or just away somewhere and burglars broke into your house and they were silly enough to confront your barking dog, then the dog attacks them because they didn't get the message and were invading your/his territory. Is that wrong or right?
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It depends where you live: I was told a story that someone's home was broken into here, with a GSD inside, and the scum was able to charge the homeowner with "unlawful confinement" because the dog had him cornered in the kitchen, lmao! How ridiculous is that?! This was many years ago, and I hope the case was thrown out in court, but you never know. I'll just shut up with any further comments that veer off into the political, lol. But check the laws in your own area to see what your dog can do for you. Where I live, it's pretty much nothing - maybe my dog would get off on the charges, but the legal fees involved would be a huge hassle.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree; it depends on where one lives.
Here in Missouri (Warrenton), I think a scenario like this would earn the title: "Dog Saves Owner from- blah blah." The dog would probably earn the title of a hero.
In larger cities, my guess would be that the dog would be viewed as viscous or aggressive.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Someone I know has. 5 GSD's and the neighbor kid broke into his garage and 2 of the dogs caught him as he was going over the fence. Each GSD had a leg, that person attempted to sue the homeowner but the judge threw the lawsuit out.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

The cops would have to shoot me before I turned over my dog for protecting me. My dogs are more important that the garbage that commit such acts.
angelas is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

We live in OZ........laws are much different over here than the US.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
We live in OZ........laws are much different over here than the US.
So the laws would certainly be different here? I don't know, it sounds unfair to prosecute a dog when it was defending you or your home. Wouldn't it be almost like self defense?

Also, is it not true that many people (not all of course) get large dog breeds, especially German Shepherds, to defend their home/owner? Heck, I even know some people with little dogs and they boast how protective and brave they are. They appear to be genuinely proud when their little dogs bark at strangers. I know someone who has a very much loved outdoor Pomeranian and apparently after midnight on a Saturday night some drunken youths were teasing the dog from the other side of the fence. One tried to jump in and little Pomeranian went in to attack the young bloke, but he got out just in time.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Most times...if the dog is on your property, you won't get in trouble. In the United States most states have adopted "homestead laws" which allow the owner of a property to use any force they see fit in order to protect themselves or their property. So a dog, would be considered part of that defense.

In the case of a dog defending you on a walk...its off your property and will be a he said/she said situation. So its kind of who is more believable...I'd like to think most people would believe a person that is getting attacked, but who knows?
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I live in the country where the victim is always wrong, even without a dog defending them. Don't even think of using a knife, baseball bat or god forbid a gun to defend yourself. Then you're a criminal who assaulted the poor little addict (mental illness) who had a crummy childhood (stunted development).

The time where a victim was a victim and a criminal who got hurt committing a crime was still a criminal are over.
angelas is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Its like using a gun to protect yourself, youll be in some trouble and have to explain yourself- but would you rather be dead?
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.