German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   What's fear aggression (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/464209-whats-fear-aggression.html)

lalachka 06-25-2014 06:43 PM

What's fear aggression

What does it look like? I think most times what's labeled fear aggression is really something else.

For example, if a dog runs up to a person passing by and attacks them - it doesn't look like fear. Something is wrong, a dog shouldn't be attacking a 'non threat' but it doesn't sound like fear to me.

I've been told that dogs that do that are insecure and that makes more sense. So they run up barking and possibly biting out of the 'attack before I'm attacked' notion.

Anyway, interested in thoughts about all of this

lalachka 06-25-2014 06:48 PM

Also, someone saw a video of my dog attacking my cat (it was recorded by accident) and mentioned that he looks like he's all confident and enjoying himself. And dogs I've seen at the park running a hundred feet to lunge and bark also look like they get some kind of a pleasure from doing this.

So they're insecure but they like the act of attacking?

onyx'girl 06-25-2014 06:53 PM

FA is evident often...people think they see 'protective' behavior when in reality it is FA. Dogs that are confident seldom if ever act out aggressively. Aggression generally comes out of that fight or flight instinct. <This isn't including the sport bite work or protection type training aggression, but general day to day life stuff.
Young dogs can't really decipher which is the right path to take so aggression happens with the lower threshold dogs. Higher threshold will wait and see, think and decide whether or not to react.
Seldom does aggression with a young dog come from a dominant mindset, but every now and then there is "that" dog that is extreme on the civil chart.
Insecurity is always fear based, no?
Onyx, my female is a bully. Bullies are usually not very confident and take advantage of the weak. Again, it is a fear based mindset.

lalachka 06-25-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5690777)
FA is evident often...people think they see 'protective' behavior when in reality it is FA. Dogs that are confident seldom if ever act out aggressively. Aggression generally comes out of that fight or flight instinct.
Young dogs can't really decipher which is the right path to take so aggression happens with the lower threshold dogs. Higher threshold will wait and see, think and decide whether or not to react.
Seldom does aggression with a young dog come from a dominant mindset, but every now and then there is "that" dog that is extreme on the civil chart.
Insecurity is always fear based, no?
Onyx, my female is a bully. Bullies are usually not very confident and take advantage of the weak. Again, it is a fear based mindset.

Lol I know it's not protection, in case it sounded that's what I was saying.

What confuses me is the act of them running up to someone who's not bothering them. I'd understand a dog going crazy at the sight of another dog or a person coming up to them and looking at them (my dog goes that and I've labeled him FA a long time ago)

But then he runs up to a dog 100 ft away and then, before, has ran up to people that were far away minding their own business. What is he scared of?

And if he is scared - how about running the other way. This made no sense at all.

I thought they always choose flight before fight?

I'm confused. I guess to me fear looks like this (my dog has done this too): someone comes up to us and he hides behind me. That's obvious fear.

To go out of his way to chase down someone who's paying you no mind i- I'm not sure

lalachka 06-25-2014 07:02 PM

Onyx, are you saying that's bullying? That sounds believable.

JakodaCD OA 06-25-2014 07:04 PM

it's the "i'm going to get you before you get me",,that to me, can indicate fear aggression, a dog that will bite and back off as well..

lalachka 06-25-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA (Post 5690825)
it's the "i'm going to get you before you get me",,that to me, can indicate fear aggression, a dog that will bite and back off as well..

Why not run? What is it that makes some dogs run and others try to scare off the passerby?

Some of this is about my dog, some is about other dogs I watched.

simba405 06-25-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalachka (Post 5690857)
Why not run? What is it that makes some dogs run and others try to scare off the passerby?

Some of this is about my dog, some is about other dogs I watched.

Depends what has worked for the dog in the past. If a dog has successfully scared someone away several times by running and barking at them then why would it stop doing what it's doing?

lalachka 06-25-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simba405 (Post 5690865)
Depends what has worked for the dog in the past. If a dog has successfully scared someone away several times by running and barking at them then why would it stop doing what it's doing?

I don't know)))) I'm trying to think through this that's why I posted

Gretchen 06-25-2014 07:14 PM

I agree with onxy'girl, it basically comes down to fight of flight. Something is making the dog fearful, the adrenaline gets going and instincts take over. So if your dog can't run, say its on leash or in a confined space, it will try to defend itself. Hopefully it will give warnings signs before an outward attack.