German Shepherds Forum banner

my neighours GSD has killed all our pets

21K views 153 replies 44 participants last post by  kiya 
#1 · (Edited)
hello, sorry just asking for advice. Our neighbours keep a GSD. Their fence lost two panels in the storms last Feb, they rang us up on the day it happened saying ''we know it's our fence, don't worry we'll get it sorted etc''.

Anyhow, weeks went past - then the delivery driver let them down, then they were waiting for nicer weather, then they were waiting for a public holiday so they'd have more time to do it & c & c - you get the picture - lots of talk ''no, don't worry mate, I have the panels on order'', ''I haven't forgotton I'm fixing the fence'' and no action - it's their fence but the only thing that stopped me fixing it myself a fortnight ago was their absolute insistance that they most definitely had the materials now and would do it at the weekend

Anyway the upshot is, 5 months down the line, their GSD managed to get into our garden whilst we were on holiday (we only went for two days) and killed all our children's pets (which were hutched). We'd long since stopped putting our pets out in their run because we were worried if the dog got through it could tip over the run, but we (niavely, as it turns out, not being dog owners ourselves) didn't think that the dog would be able to get into all the hutches.

We are beyond distraught. Our ASD son has curled into the foetal position and will not communicate with any of us at all. My daughter is supposed to be sitting significant exams today, and the 5 yr old is inconsolable.

I am SO angry. It's one thing if a dog exploits a gap, or if the wind had blown down the fence in the night and no one knew - but they had 5 months to sort this out, and we've asked on many, many occasions.

Apparantly the complete massacre of our family pets has given them a ''wake up call'' and they will now actually do something about the fence.

So, how would you guys handle this if it were your dog? I'm not familiar with GSDs at all. I am so angry with the owner.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like you may be in the UK?

I am very sorry about your pets. That is a horrible thing - when I was a little girl, 2 American Bulldog type dogs came through and killed almost all of our chickens, rabbits and ducks. It was awful. Whoever allowed them to run was at fault.

I am still unsure in my feeling brain what to think when animals just kill to kill, and have a dog who is much like Lenny in Of Mice and Men and likes to kill anything that squeaks in the yard (fine with my inside cats) then seems sad that they don't play anymore. In my logic brain, they are animals.

If my dog did this, I would be replacing that fence, and providing you with some recompense for the animals and their housing that was destroyed.

I am sorry about your kids - the best thing that my family did was not let me see any of it up close. They also did not focus on the anger and upset, but what we could do to move forward. I think they were in shock too, and we also had no idea who owned the dogs.

If you know anyone else with dogs that are good with kids, I'd want to keep that in the back of my mind for the future, so that they can be around dogs in a good way, and also to look at the many things that the breed has done and been bred to do - herding, protecting, police, guide dogs, therapy work, and understand that sometimes a dog's animal instincts take over.

I really am sorry.

#4 ·
It wouldn't have gotten that far, I would have fixed the panels immediately or supervised my dog at all times. Where were the owners at when this happened? Were these rabbits?

#5 ·
yep I am in the UK. I understand an animal has instincts I'm not blaming the dog, per se - I'm blaming the owners for not keeping it in a secure fashion. They are supposed to have replaced the 6 ft high fence, which is a requirement on these houses, pets or not.

Really offering to replace the pets is of no consequence or value to us. They can't undo the trauma to us as a family.

Interestingly the hutches aren't damaged at all, the food bowls and water bottles are exactly as we left them. I was also genuinely suprised a dog could open 3 fastenings (the owners tell me now the dog is capable of using door handles, so I suppose that's not beyond the realms of possiblilty). However, I am suprised about the seeming lack of disturbance - not even the sawdust is as much as ruffled, no scratch or bite marks on the wood.

I *think* what really happened is their daughter came over whilst we were away to look at the baby animals we had , opened the hutches or took them out & the dog heard her in our garden and came over, and she wasn't able to stop him. I can't see how the dog would have managed to open ALL the hutches and not leave as much as a trace of it.

I suspect that's what's happened and they've lied about it because they don't want us to be cross with her (though she shouldn't have been in our garden either)

It's never, ever got into our garden before, although I have always worried about it.

I'm convinced they are lying.

We are too traumatised by the horrific death of our pets to consider getting new ones, despite their offer just to ''nip down the pet shop and get us another couple''

#6 ·
That is a horrible thing. I would write all this in a letter and give it to them...explaining the harm their dog has done to your family since talking does not appear to work.

Then I would buy some cheap wire fence and put it up between the posts for now. If you can keep your kids away maybe they would get the message with barbed wire or electric fence ..........

#7 ·
They were guinea pigs in three different hutches, two were only baby animals we'd had a fortnight. The others were gorgeous much loved pets.

I don't think there is anything our neighbours can do to put this right. They aren't expensive pets to buy. I've lost a days' wages now (and probably tomorrows too) to care for my son (the ASD boy). He's also missed a really important meeting to do with his transition up to high school (I can't get him to uncurl at all, let alone communicate) and the college he is supposed to be attending can't now rearrange this before the end of term.

I've no idea where the owners were - we weren't here ourselves. Apparantly their 12 yr old 'found them' (assuming she hadn't got them out in the first place). I suspect they were out and left her in charge of the dog, whether or not she was in our garden

#8 ·
Fist, I am so sorry this happened to the kids pets. I can't even begin to imagine how they feel.

This is the GSD's owner fault, not the GSD. This is a breed with prey drive; with training they can ignore; without training some can ignore, others can't.

Nothing can replace the pets that your kid's have lost. I would be insisting on proof of training for the dog, current training not past training, INSTANT repair of the fence then also reinforcement of the full fence and raised to a height of 8 foot or more. At a time of your choosing, purchase of pets and hutch to not replace, but hopefully allow your kids to move on from this. This is a bare minimum. Some would even say to get AC involved. I am on the fence about that. If they refuse, then AC, insistence of the dog's rehoming or removal from property. This happened due to pure laziness and irresponsibility; both inexcusable.

#9 ·
thanks everyone.

so do you think it is possible that the dog could have opened all 3 hutches and got all the animals out without leaving a trace of the animal itself, disturbing the sawdust/knocking over a bowl - in fact not disturbing ANYTHING all? We were up until 3 in the morning searching the garden for remains, because we were so worried about the kids finding them if they were there - we've not found a single thing (apart from the several cow pat size patches of diorehha their dog left). Not a spot of blood, bone entrails, anything at all. The neighbours have handed us back a bag full of long hair from one of the long haired animals, and that's the only trace at all

#23 ·
Seems odd. Smart or not, once they click into prey drive they are not thinking "better be careful and not leave evidence"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I'm sorry... this is a sad thread but I started laughing at that.

I'm terribly sorry about the loss of your pets. I agree that this is totally due to the neighbor's irresponsibility and I hope your son pulls out of it. Any chance he could get some additional therapy to help? If so I would give the bill to the neighbors. i also agree about putting up a fence if possible, and for that matter putting up some security cameras as well.

Jelpy

#11 ·
well, exactly. I woudln't have thought ANY animal would be thinking ''hey let's keep this tidy''.

Which is why I'm thinking they weren't in the hutches when they were killed and that someone must have got them out.

If anything the fact they seem to be lying annoys me as much as the rest of it. We derserve at least to know the truth.

There is a new law here in the UK which relates to ''dogs dangerously out of control in a public place'' - a public place includes neighbours gardens. ''dangerously out of control'' may include injuring other animals. I''m handing it over to the pollice, I think.

#13 ·
they told us it did. There's also clear evidence of the dog having been in the garden (it has a particular stomach complaint, hence the diorehha) .

Either way if they'd either a) repaired the fences as the should have done in a timely fashion or b) not allowed their dog to roam

then the dog couldn't be under suspicion.

We weren't here - we can only go on what they said. I don't know why they'd say the dog had killed them all if if hadn't? It's not like they were even a pedigree breed or anything worth anything. You can buy them for app USD $15 in a farm a couple of minutes drive away

#17 ·
I keep thinking if I go in the garden I *must* be able to find at least one. At least one must have escaped, surely, maybe just ONE might have been able to hide in the undergrowth ?

I keep trying to listen for the squeaky little voices I can't believe they've ALL gone & I keep thinking how terrified they must have been as they were picked off by the dog :* ( :*(

I was up until 3 in the morning searching ALL the undergrowth (found 3 hedgehogs!). I can't believe ALL their sweet little faces are gone for good, not one left.

I'm really struggling not to hate the dog. I know that's not a logical response, but I can't help it right now. I hate the owner more, obviously

#20 ·
I am so sorry. It may be that a furry little friend may help your son more than anything you can do......but maybe something different, like a cat or a rabbit. And, of course, not let outside until the yard is secure.

Perhaps you should tell your neighbors that if the situation is not remedied by a specified time (the fence issue) that you will hand it over to prevent a long-term awful relationship.

#21 ·
I am so sorry for your families loss and trauma.

It's unforgivable that these owners were so negligent as to let this happen. I would be beside myself. And if I am being honest I would hate the dog as well. Instincts or not.

I don't have any good advice for you.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#34 ·
only after they've had their dog put down and I turn up with another one and say ''hey, whats' the difference, it's only a dog, right, they all look the same''

What a stupidly arrogant and insenstive thing for you to say, I wonder if you are related to my neighbour? That's the kind of crap he'd come out with too.

#24 ·
Dogs are smart bug not that smart. There would have been some evidence of a dog running on a killing spree in your yard, actually I think there would have been quite the bloody mess.

#26 ·
I'm so sorry to hear this... We have had guinea pigs too that have passed and I know your pain. I'm hoping your son will pull through this. The story does sound fishy to me...something is just not right about there being no evidence!

#27 ·
I am so sorry this happened to you. I love Nancy's idea about getting a rabbit or cat. Of course pets cannot be replaced. When my daughter lost her guinea pig, she did not want another. She did, however, fall in love with a rabbit. We now have two rabbits. They live in that house. Both are litter pan trained. They are also spayed/neutered. We purchased a set-up called bunny abode condos, but you could easily make a large cage. If you used a small cage, you could leave the door open and provide an exercise pen. Our rabbits have play time out of their cages and enjoy watching tv with us. Rabbits like to be pet, but do not like to be picked up. Cats can also (and in my opinion should be) indoor pets. Perhaps, just having a different animal and having it indoors would be enough to bring your kids around.

Wishing you all the best and healing for your family.

#28 ·
Re OP:
I know this is incredibly upsetting for you and your family.
I think the best you can do with the neighbors is to say, you question that their dog did this without some help. Did it really happen this way or is there something more for you to tell me? Then I think your only choice is to accept what they say or have even worse relationship with them.
The problem with turning their dog in is that it will probably result in the dog being killed -- for something you suspect he did not do without help. That hardly seems fair to the dog and unhelpful to your family as well. If retribution is what you're about (and sometimes that is what many of us can fall into) it will probably make their daughter feel really crappy if she doesn't already feel bad enough. Generosity on your part with this might make things better overall.
I totally get that you want the neighbors punished. Consider that they are likely totally mortified already irrespective of the truthfulness of their story.

#29 ·
I will add my condolences to everyone else's...so sorry this happened to your pets and to your children.

Years ago our collie and GSD broke into our parakeet cage in the middle of the night and killed 2 of them...and I will tell you that there was plenty of evidence. It does not seem possible that the GSD broke into your cages and left no trace.

I'm afraid you're going to have to protect your property from the GSD (all the while trying not to hate it, because as you say it is the owner's fault)...because it does not seem that your neighbors are going to be responsible.

I hope that in the future you can bring yourself to have pets again because it may go a long way towards healing this mess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.