German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Cudi Broke Skin (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/460529-cudi-broke-skin.html)

lennoxbradley88 06-14-2014 05:37 PM

Cudi Broke Skin

I've been having an issue with Cudi and the mail person. Every time he sees the mail person he gets aggressive and starts growling and fence fighting. Now this is what throws me off... he doesn't do that with anyone else that walks by or approaches our house. The mail passes before I get home during the week so only Saturdays I can work with Cudi when they are around. Today I heard him going crazy so I went outside and started playing with him as soon as the mail man got to my house Cudi bolted to the gate so I went over and tried to direct his attention to me. I went and tried to pull him away by the collar and tried to give him some treats and that's when he snap and bit my foot.

He is great with people never has shown this behavior with anyone else other than the mail man. If you guys have any suggestions on how to solve this problem I will appreciated it thanks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Nigel 06-14-2014 05:49 PM

The mail man is recognizable to your dog as someone who "violates" or trespasses on "his" territory most days of the week, despite your dogs best effort to scare him off or something along those lines.

I would keep my dog in the house or leashed around mail delivery time and not give them an opportunity to react. Can you use your back yard, crate, or kennel while your gone? Letting him react like this could end badly.

lennoxbradley88 06-14-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5642585)
The mail man is recognizable to your dog as someone who "violates" or trespasses on "his" territory most days of the week, despite your dogs best effort to scare him off or something along those lines.

I would keep my dog in the house or leashed around mail delivery time and not give them an opportunity to react. Can you use your back yard, crate, or kennel while your gone? Letting him react like this could end badly.

I leave them in the back yard when I am at work. But the backyard leads to the side gate where he goes when the mailman is around. I will block that section off. Usually when I am home I bring him inside and we do some training. Do you think it's a good idea if I put his fur saver on him and correct him when he reacts to the mailman?

Nigel 06-14-2014 06:09 PM

I don't use a fur saver, but I don't think they are used for corrections. When I want mine to ignore something, I use "leave it" I start when they are pups and they learn quickly what it means, but that only works if I'm with them. I keep mine indoors while at work, with you being gone its best to keep him secure in a crate, kennel, or in your home.

gsdsar 06-14-2014 06:09 PM

You working with him one day a week is a waste of time. Sorry. If he gets to practice the behavior everyday with no consequences, then you will never fix the issue.

Keep him inside when you are at work. Don't allow him to behave this way.

When you are home, have him on a leash and collar and start redirecting and training him BEFORE the mailman arrives. Once he goes into bark mode, it's too late.