1 Year old Adpoted male GSD with Fear of Strangers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1 Year old Adpoted male GSD with Fear of Strangers

I adopted a 1 yr old GSD (3 days ago) from a family who's HOA wouldn't let them keep him since they did not have a fenced in back yard.

When we went to pick him up, he was scared and kept trying to run away from us (it was our first time meeting). After a little while, he kind of warmed up and we were able to get him into the car and head home.
We are already a parent to a 6 yr old GSD female.. They got along instantly and became best buds! But he continued to be fearful of us and would bark or run away.. Now he is attached to me but still a tiny bit fearful of my bf.
He was raised with 4 kids so he does fine with kids.. Mostly older kids and adults.

A male friend came over and he started barking and ran away.. all the way to the basement

Can anyone give me any advise?? I want him to be confident and happy pup!
Sugar&Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Too much too soon! You have had him for 3 days and it started out all wrong to begin with. Can't change that now but you have to understand that he was uprooted from his home and his whole life has changed. Give him time to get used to you guys before you start introducing him to new things, like a random person he doesn't know coming over.

I would definitely have a crate for him in a quiet location that he can go to if he feels the need. I would also just spend time bonding with him! Walks, training, play, treats, etc. Don't force him into situations he isn't ready for, that will only increase his fearfulness.

Did the previous owners tell you he had fear issues or anything like that?

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

When you are ready, great trainer - The Balanced Dog -

Also agree with slowing down, he is overwhelmed. Look at Two Week Shut Down Debate...
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Slowing down is right.

I think it's also helpful for people in your household -- esp. anyone the dog is afraid of -- to keep a treat pouch clipped to them, stuffed full of very high value yummy morsels (soft meaty treats he really likes). When this person walks by the dog, toss a treat near him without talking to him or looking at him. Let him associate these people with "yummy stuff."

This method has helped us with several foster dogs who had a fear of men, likely due to past abuse. My DH patiently dropped lots and lots of treats and over time, these dogs came to associate him with good stuff, and drew near, and eventually warmed up to him. It takes lots of patience, and calm, quiet energy.

Also, let your stable dogs teach him. They can do more to help rehabilitate a dog like this than you can imagine -- he will see them trusting you and interacting with you. Give them lots of praise and affection, and let him watch. They can help teach him to trust you.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
Too much too soon! You have had him for 3 days and it started out all wrong to begin with. Can't change that now but you have to understand that he was uprooted from his home and his whole life has changed. Give him time to get used to you guys before you start introducing him to new things, like a random person he doesn't know coming over.

I would definitely have a crate for him in a quiet location that he can go to if he feels the need. I would also just spend time bonding with him! Walks, training, play, treats, etc. Don't force him into situations he isn't ready for, that will only increase his fearfulness.

Did the previous owners tell you he had fear issues or anything like that?
wyoung2153 yes definitely need to not introduce too soon.. It was our pool guy and a friend that unexpectedly showed up.. but his previous owners did tell me has fear issues. They said he was like that from the kennel? His dad was K9 and mom bomb detecting dog and is Czech blood line.. The owner was K9 officer. They said he was always kind of fearful of new people. He has warmed up to me great! and he lets my 3 yr old son hug and anything (he was raised with 4 kids) He still barks at my bf especially in the morning when he hasn't seen him for a while...
I walk both them almost daily and he does great! and he doesn't bark at strangers while on walk.. but none of them were close..

Thanks for the advise
Old 06-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Slowing down is right.

I think it's also helpful for people in your household -- esp. anyone the dog is afraid of -- to keep a treat pouch clipped to them, stuffed full of very high value yummy morsels (soft meaty treats he really likes). When this person walks by the dog, toss a treat near him without talking to him or looking at him. Let him associate these people with "yummy stuff."

This method has helped us with several foster dogs who had a fear of men, likely due to past abuse. My DH patiently dropped lots and lots of treats and over time, these dogs came to associate him with good stuff, and drew near, and eventually warmed up to him. It takes lots of patience, and calm, quiet energy.

Also, let your stable dogs teach him. They can do more to help rehabilitate a dog like this than you can imagine -- he will see them trusting you and interacting with you. Give them lots of praise and affection, and let him watch. They can help teach him to trust you.
Yes I have def noticed that with my stable female.. She is attached to my hip and when she comes to cuddle and get hugs from me he is right there wagging his tail.. I have asked my older daughter and bf to do the same.. by approaching our girl first so he can see that they are ok!

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
When you are ready, great trainer - The Balanced Dog -

Also agree with slowing down, he is overwhelmed. Look at Two Week Shut Down Debate...
Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.