Would he do it? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2014, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would he do it?

Hello my German Shepherd dog is very timid and sometimes it worries me that he's too timid and that if the time comes he wouldn't strike an aggressor and/or me and my wife often wonder what would he do if we were in need of help and/or the German Shepherd to attack my question is you do you think he would do this as he very timid and laid back ...or should I not worry he will know true fear from us an attack? Reason I ask we've had tree trimmers going door to door and hanging out next door ...I was outside earlier today while my gsd was inside ,he was looking out the window the whole time ...wonder I needed him would he come ? Even if thru an window witch I hope he would never and hurt himself ..but again would he surprise me ? I say no but my wife swears he would please help me here
Lennon0740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Nah probably not going to happen. The smell of expressed anal gland might be enough to drive your assailant away but not likely.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I would say no. But I would also not be one to rely on my dog to protect me. If I wanted a dog to protect me, I would have gotten a trained personal protection dog. I would rather my pet dog not be willing to just bite someone. That's just asking for a lawsuit and possibly euthanization.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Trust me I don't have and or relay on him to protect me , as I'm a trained police officer ,..but more or less wanted to know if he knew I was in danger would he react or do nothing more or less
Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Both my boys are very loving dogs and have never seen the slightest form of aggression from either of them towards anyone or anything BUT a couple months ago my teenage son got in a argument with someone at the park a couple blocks away. Long story short these two boys ( aka punks from different neighborhood who other people have had problems with too) show up on my porch calling my son out. So I told my son to sit down and I went out ( now I'm 5'9 / 195 lbs, not fat and have military training, not to mention both side neighbors are LEO's ) . I asked them to drop it and just leave politely. The whole time my dogs are being quite just watching this. When I turned around to go back in the house my neighbor who was doing yard work and who is one our local police said one of the boys made a aggressive lunge towards my back. Before I knew it my oldest dog Diego ( 2 yrs, 95 lbs ) was out and in full your screwed mode. Luckily he stopped right next to me, low growl, hackles blaring, etc. But I swear the kid pooped himself. After they left he was right back to his big baby self.That has been the only time I've ever seen him like that but have no doubts about his loyalty / protective nature.
lennyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

I wouldn't necessarily want my dog to, but I'd like him to be willing to
cltyus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon0740 View Post
my question is you do you think he would do this as he very timid and laid back ...
Explain what you mean by 'timid and laid back'.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I also am trained in a lot of different self defense, military police, private security, maximum security prison, plus anyone would have to get through my husband and several different forms and escalations of self defense to get close enough to harm me. However, even though Gunther is a big teddy bear I have no doubt he would protect me if it came down to it. I had my doubts before but yesterday someone was yelling to me, not at me, and waving their arms. Gunther sat by my side on alert. This person was not a threat to me but Gunther wasn't jumping to any conclusions either.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltyus View Post
I wouldn't necessarily want my dog to, but I'd like him to be willing to

Me neither, i'd be afraid they have a gun or knife and he gets hurt.

But know he would would warm my heart. Contradictions))))

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyb View Post
Both my boys are very loving dogs and have never seen the slightest form of aggression from either of them towards anyone or anything BUT a couple months ago my teenage son got in a argument with someone at the park a couple blocks away. Long story short these two boys ( aka punks from different neighborhood who other people have had problems with too) show up on my porch calling my son out. So I told my son to sit down and I went out ( now I'm 5'9 / 195 lbs, not fat and have military training, not to mention both side neighbors are LEO's ) . I asked them to drop it and just leave politely. The whole time my dogs are being quite just watching this. When I turned around to go back in the house my neighbor who was doing yard work and who is one our local police said one of the boys made a aggressive lunge towards my back. Before I knew it my oldest dog Diego ( 2 yrs, 95 lbs ) was out and in full your screwed mode. Luckily he stopped right next to me, low growl, hackles blaring, etc. But I swear the kid pooped himself. After they left he was right back to his big baby self.That has been the only time I've ever seen him
like that but have no doubts about his loyalty / protective nature.
My boy is them same way laid back has never showed aggression even though he loves barking our neighbor dogs he's really never show aggression towards another human, but I'm with others I like just to know the possibility that you know that laid-back temperateness is not going deter him and a real scenario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.