He growled at me :( So upset and confused on what to do - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2014, 06:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default He growled at me :( So upset and confused on what to do

Jager growled at me last nigh. I have no clue what to do....
Ill take you through what happenedn;

For last 3 months been working away from home and visit on sat night and sundya and leave sunday/monday early hours of thd morning.
My greeting is to come home,
Jager spins around in circles cos hes happy
I tell him to sit
I open his area and tell him to jump up on me for hugs and kissds
Doing that since he came hime at 9 weeks old. He is 3 now.
On sunday i came back and did exactly the same. He did same stuff run around etc. Jumped up. Gave him a kiss. He growled. I grabbed him by then scruss straight away and took him to the floor in a diwn position and said NO.
He didnt say anything and just looked up at me. Then i directed him outside. I was shook up and cinfused in what the **** happened.
Ok so after 15mins i opened the garden door and he came back in. Gave commands and he did straight away. No growling. So that happened then everything was ok mon tueaday Wednesday and Thursday morning.
Thursday night i come back from my work near home, he does his same circle gurns happy etc.
Again jumps up. He then smells my chest and i could sense something not right. So i grabbed him again by the acruff. As i did he growled a low pitch and in his throat. I put him in his cage and he griwls more. Didnt lunge though. I was stunned. I just looked at him. He then went back to being perfectly normal. Did the commands. I reduced hisbarea size as his normal punishment for bad behaviour. I then went in the other room and broke down. Hes my boy and cant bare to see him do this. Im his master.

We then decided to go to the vet this friday morning at 9am. They took bloods as i asked for thyroid to be checked.
They said he may have osteoporosis in wrist. Hes on orijen but i examined his wrists on Wednesday and he didnt show any pain.

I DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON. I need help please. I love him so much.
Hes always been on orijen since he came to. Me at 9 weeks.
Is it a pack thing since iv been away? But i thought my few days extra of assertiveness should of put him back below me at least.

I live in the UK.
I get teat results today at around 3pm (4h from now)
Amrit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Good job for checking into the Vet to see if it has anything to do with his health. Please let us know how that goes and the results!
That's what i would do as it seems to be a sudden thing after 3 years of having him!
Hopefully they can figure out what is going on.
As for now, i would ignore him when you come home, keep your back toward him and your hands away from him, completely ignoring-no talking. And offer your attention when he is laying down and ignoring you and then ask him to come over and give him attention. See if that helps. Because it seems to be the same scenario that he acts up, when you come home right? So avoiding that scenario until you can figure out the actual reason, might be a good idea- at least that is what i would do!
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

don't have your coming home greetings so emotionally charged .

what is happening with the dog while you are away. May be bored out of his skull , then along you come and whip him up with excitement .

instead of jumping up for hugs and kisses , slap a leash on him and take him for a jog.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just rang the vet. Said everything is excellent and within normal range. Thyroid wise liver etc all fine.
Its good news but wish we could find a cause really.... Now back to being clueless about the sudden change.
They did say see what happens with the painkillers but it will be so hard to tell since it is so random.
I will try what you guys said. Im already doing NILF.
Please please if anyone has experienced this before please give me some advice
Amrit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would crate him. Since the incidents seem to be related to you coming home and the excitement around that, crate him so you can control his actions when you get home. Wait until he is calm before releasing him from his crate.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Read Carmspacks answer - its all right there. You now know its not medical - just because he hasn't done it in 3 years, doesn't mean much. Follow her directions, diffuse the greetings and put his pent up energy somewhere.

Also - at 3 years old there will still be some "coming into himself". Who is looking after him during the week? Are they staying consistent with the rules you set forth?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is it possible that he was just being vocal out of excitement? I know when my dog gets wound up, he will growl, bark excitedly, moan/groan, etc. It's all in a playful/excited way though. No teeth baring, no aggressiveness whatsoever. I would think that since he was doing the excited circles, jumping up and loving on you, that it wasn't actually an aggressive growl but more of an excited vocalization. Is it possible that is the case here?
vickip9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Another thought.. Is it possible he's sensing something different with YOU? Has anything changed with you recently? Different cologne? Different deodorant? Working around different environment that is producing a scent on you? Anything medical going on with you? Dogs have such a keen sense of smell and intuition, a lot of times the sense something that we are not even aware of.
vickip9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickip9 View Post
Is it possible that he was just being vocal out of excitement? I know when my dog gets wound up, he will growl, bark excitedly, moan/groan, etc. It's all in a playful/excited way though. No teeth baring, no aggressiveness whatsoever. I would think that since he was doing the excited circles, jumping up and loving on you, that it wasn't actually an aggressive growl but more of an excited vocalization. Is it possible that is the case here?
Agreed, especially when his entire body language screams,"happy" but as a young dog he went over board, you turned into some crazy person and now he is confused in this situation. Calm things down like others have said.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My boy will growl at me when he is charged up and I'm creating a scenario that charges him even more. It isn't aggression, it's him getting amped.

If you find a behavior in your dog that you don't want (growling) and you find what triggers that behavior (jumping on you after being overly excited) you stop /change the trigger.

NILIF 24/7. Don't change your dynamics with your dog. Reward when you normally would reward. Priase often for wanted behavior. If you allow on the furniture, make him wait to be invited. Don't over correct. Be firm, but fair.

Exercise...exercise....exercise....
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.