German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Barking at Men with long hair only? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/450793-barking-men-long-hair-only.html)

SummerGSDLover 05-16-2014 12:55 PM

Barking at Men with long hair only?

I'm not sure this is the right place - Yogi will be 9 months old on the 1st of June. I think he's fear barking but I've had three instances where Yogi has barked when meeting men who have long hair. pony tails. I don't know anyone who has long hair who is male so how do I train him to stop barking at what he may perceive as a threat? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

*-*Summer*-*

Chip18 05-16-2014 01:07 PM

Post 8:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...allenging.html

Has a link to 'Who Pets my Puppy or Dog" that's what I would do and did do with my "People" Aggressive GSD. He turned out just fine! :)

It shows the dog "you" are in control and "you" determine his interaction or not with others. He sees people like furniture they are of no concern. He learns what normal human/dog (if you ignore them also)
looks like.

I'll train my next Boxer the same way...oppsite problem with those guys, "Everyone' is a good time to Boxers!:blush:

scarfish 05-16-2014 01:09 PM

i have no clue what to tell you. i can say that my older dog barks at any guy with long hair that approaches the car. it's always a bum asking for change. my wife and i will give each other the oh great face as he's approaching. the older dog must pick up on it 'cause she barks at every person that we feel undesirable on instinct. maybe everytime you come across a long haired guy it's you that's letting the dog unintentionally know to get this guy outta here just by your body language.

Msmaria 05-16-2014 08:22 PM

Maybe he doesnt like ugly chicks and thinks that's what they are.

SummerGSDLover 05-17-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarfish (Post 5526121)
i have no clue what to tell you. i can say that my older dog barks at any guy with long hair that approaches the car. it's always a bum asking for change. my wife and i will give each other the oh great face as he's approaching. the older dog must pick up on it 'cause she barks at every person that we feel undesirable on instinct. maybe everytime you come across a long haired guy it's you that's letting the dog unintentionally know to get this guy outta here just by your body language.

That is possible. I probably have given off body language of being uncomfortable around some of the people.

*-*Summer*-*

SummerGSDLover 05-17-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msmaria (Post 5527289)
Maybe he doesnt like ugly chicks and thinks that's what they are.

:D *laughing*

*-*Summer*-*

brembo 05-17-2014 03:17 PM

My old male had a thing with men with curly brown hair. It was the hair too, they could put on a hat and he was fine, take the hat off and a demon suddenly appeared in his mind. Never figured it out.

SummerGSDLover 05-17-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brembo (Post 5529577)
My old male had a thing with men with curly brown hair. It was the hair too, they could put on a hat and he was fine, take the hat off and a demon suddenly appeared in his mind. Never figured it out.

Weird. So maybe he'll have this his whole life then.

*-*Summer*-*

sehrgutcsg 05-17-2014 11:39 PM

I saw this post yesterday, I guess you will not be inviting me to your holiday dinner as I am long haired and a male... lol

But all animals with four paws love me.. :D

SummerGSDLover 05-18-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg (Post 5531097)
I saw this post yesterday, I guess you will not be inviting me to your holiday dinner as I am long haired and a male... lol

But all animals with four paws love me.. :D

I wish I did know someone. :/

*-*Summer*-*