German Shepherds Forum banner

Update: Unique aggression problem.

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Baillif 
#1 ·
Back in March, I started a thread dealing with an aggression problem I was facing. It's viewable here: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/428770-unusual-aggression-problem.html

I implemented suggestions given and have worked with Lanee and have accomplished decent results. The aggression toward my partner has been eliminated in many areas.

That being said, I have one main hallway in my home which goes from the back room (Lanee's room) up to the front door. Lanee's crate sits right inside this room and faces the hallway so she can see everything. Lanee likes to lay in her crate a lot of the time. When my partner comes down the hallway and Lanee is in her crate, particularly if she is woken up, she'll stand up and bark loudly in a not-so-happy way.

Any suggestions on how to rectify this issue?

#6 ·
Whenever I run into this issue it's most completely and quickly resolved by e collaring the dog waiting about 10 minutes and then walking by the crate. Soon as they bark you mark with a no and use either nick or continuous at a medium level at first but if it continues progress quickly to a high level. Don't stare at the dog or anything when this happens, but don't remove yourself from the area either. Give them a second or two to show they are done with the behavior and then make friends through the door with food or just praise for not acting like an idiot.

Doesn't take many trials of this before you rarely I'd ever see the behavior again.

Or you could just ignore it. Crate agression isn't really a big deal.

#9 ·
I still would nanny cam when I was gone - I like to know what's going on especially with an otherwise normal acting dog...I'd rather be able to know what the whole problem is, than to try to solve it from what is possibly half the story. Even if it showed nothing, at least I know.

#10 ·
There are dogs here that have crate agression issues with dogs, some with strange people. If they meet those same people outside the crate they're fine with them, even happy and cordial with them. Just a form of barrier agression to a certain extent in most cases. 99.9% of the time it's an operantly learned behavior that can be solved through operant means, IE positive punishment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.