German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   No No NOO!!! Chasing and snapping at the dogs and only a year! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/449858-no-no-noo-chasing-snapping-dogs-only-year.html)

rena 05-13-2014 06:46 PM

No No NOO!!! Chasing and snapping at the dogs and only a year!

I took my 1 year old PB black female shephard and my 10 year old off to the park and dont know what happened….
but my female started snapping and chasing down other dogs.….:eek:
When we first arrived, She got snapped at by one of the dogs as she got a little assertive as soon as she arrived. It seemed after that it was her mission to keep going up to that dog so she did and snapped a bit but was still mindful. Then after about half and hour 3 other dogs showed up and she was nervous and while the dogs were introducing themselves one of them she got assertive with and then snapped at it and it took off with her running after it snarling and snapping and I had to call my dog! I was so humiliated. My h was hollering at me to leave and I just thought she would be okay and she was not. I let her go and after a minute or two she went after that same dog again. My h was so mad and wants to muzzle her and if I have to I will be so embarassed. She is not stupid at all so any ideas of how to stop this horrendous issue so no one scatters when I show up at the park again would be greatly appreciated. I need a Caezer Millan miracle.:help:

Cassidy's Mom 05-13-2014 06:57 PM

The best way to make sure this doesn't happen again is to stop taking her to the dog park. I'd be pretty peeved if I were at the park with my dogs and someone else's dog ran at them snarling and snapping. Wouldn't you be if it were another person's dog doing that to one of yours?

Melissa98409 05-13-2014 07:04 PM

I go to the dog park a lot with my dog and have noticed that GSD's don't play the same way that other dogs do. They are "mouthy", "nip" at each other (very oral players...is the best way I can describe it). Some people don't take well to that. They think they are being agressive. With Jericho, he will sometimes pick out a dog that is kind of timmid and just be a total jerk to the poor thing. For that he get's bitter apple and a "break" from playing. Usually, that is enough to divert his focus away from that dog and back on the one's who enjoy playing with him. I wouldn't muzzle your dog at the park, but maybe if the park is really busy be ready to leave early. I would still try and see if it's going to be a good play day, but be prepared to leave if you have to. I also go to the same dog park every time, just so the crowd is more predictable and will be familiar with how your pup plays. I think it's really important, for Jericho at least, to go and play with the other dogs so he learns how to play respectfully with other dogs.

The Stig 05-13-2014 08:08 PM

I don't go to dog parks. They were created for the humans, not dogs. Most of the time they are just free-for-alls with dogs who are amped up w/ pent-up energy and owners who usually don't have a clue about managing a dog.

There are other ways to socialize a dog. I decided that introducing my dog to a strange, ever-changing pack is not one of them.

I don't think there is anything really wrong with your dog that needs fixing. What is wrong is how unnatural dog parks are as a socializing ground for our companions.

Do a search on how to socialize your dog and I reckon there will be good advice that pop up here. Good luck! It is all about learning.

DaniFani 05-13-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa98409 (Post 5514250)
I go to the dog park a lot with my dog and have noticed that GSD's don't play the same way that other dogs do. They are "mouthy", "nip" at each other (very oral players...is the best way I can describe it). Some people don't take well to that. They think they are being agressive. With Jericho, he will sometimes pick out a dog that is kind of timid and just be a total jerk to the poor thing. For that he get's bitter apple and a "break" from playing. Usually, that is enough to divert his focus away from that dog and back on the one's who enjoy playing with him. I wouldn't muzzle your dog at the park, but maybe if the park is really busy be ready to leave early. I would still try and see if it's going to be a good play day, but be prepared to leave if you have to. I also go to the same dog park every time, just so the crowd is more predictable and will be familiar with how your pup plays. I think it's really important, for Jericho at least, to go and play with the other dogs so he learns how to play respectfully with other dogs.

This is terrible advice. SOrry for the harshness, I'm sick of the excuse and misconception that "it's really important for foofoo to learn how to play with dogs at the dog park." I see you're in Washington...me too (Vancouver area). A few weeks ago a dog was killed at the dog park a few miles from me...killed. Dog parks are one of the worst ideas in the "dog world." imho. You have no idea who the heck is there, what their dog is like, what their obedience is (usually zero reliability), you are basically throwing them all together and hoping for the best outcome. Sure, there are people that have no issues (the best I've heard of are the dog parks that you pay a fee to get into and need a key)....but even then, still seems like something people do to fulfill themselves, lots of weird people, stories, and "advice" can be found in plenty at a dog park. To top it off, your dog has NOT learned how to be with other dogs. So much so that you routinely bring bitter apple spray and give time outs...:rolleyes: So your dog isn't learning anything.

OP, your husband is right to be angry and you are right to be embarrassed. Just take it as a lesson, and move on. Your dog learned right from the get go, I get snapped at when I come in here, and then proceeded to make sure she was the first one to snap next time. You don't need a muzzle, you would really consider muzzling your dog just to take her somewhere where previous incidences occurred in preparation for future incidences?? If you want to do something with your dog, join a club, make it interactive (not just turning her loose with a bunch of unknowns), play with her yourself, go hiking, take car rides...if you believe she simply can't live without contact from other dogs (not a GSD trait, nor will she be missing anything by not), then join classes, makes sure the interactions are purely positive, with older, mature, stable, strong nerved, dogs.

Good Luck.

Melissa98409 05-13-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaniFani (Post 5514570)
This is terrible advice. SOrry for the harshness, I'm sick of the excuse and misconception that "it's really important for foofoo to learn how to play with dogs at the dog park." I see you're in Washington...me too (Vancouver area). A few weeks ago a dog was killed at the dog park a few miles from me...killed. Dog parks are one of the worst ideas in the "dog world." imho. You have no idea who the heck is there, what their dog is like, what their obedience is (usually zero reliability), you are basically throwing them all together and hoping for the best outcome. Sure, there are people that have no issues (the best I've heard of are the dog parks that you pay a fee to get into and need a key)....but even then, still seems like something people do to fulfill themselves, lots of weird people, stories, and "advice" can be found in plenty at a dog park. To top it off, your dog has NOT learned how to be with other dogs. So much so that you routinely bring bitter apple spray and give time outs...:rolleyes: So your dog isn't learning anything.

OP, your husband is right to be angry and you are right to be embarrassed. Just take it as a lesson, and move on. Your dog learned right from the get go, I get snapped at when I come in here, and then proceeded to make sure she was the first one to snap next time. You don't need a muzzle, you would really consider muzzling your dog just to take her somewhere where previous incidences occurred in preparation for future incidences?? If you want to do something with your dog, join a club, make it interactive (not just turning her loose with a bunch of unknowns), play with her yourself, go hiking, take car rides...if you believe she simply can't live without contact from other dogs (not a GSD trait, nor will she be missing anything by not), then join classes, makes sure the interactions are purely positive, with older, mature, stable, strong nerved, dogs.

Good Luck.

Not everyone likes dog parks. I get that, and clearly, you are not a fan, but this person seems to be interested in going with her dog. I am just sharing what works for me and my dog. You don't have to agree, but offering the OP only the advice of not going to dog parks and using the scenario of a dog being killed....how is that helpful? I do bring bitter apple with me wherever I go and IF NEEDED use it to correct my dogs behavior in whatever situation it is required. My dog goes to the same park every time and interacts with basically the same group of dogs. I don't have to use it often, but when the situation arises...I do. I am not a lazy dog owner, and don't just go to the dog park and turn off as a dog owner. However, I do go to the DP and I think they are a good place to let dogs interact with other dogs. That's my opinion however unpopular it may be.

The Stig 05-13-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaniFani (Post 5514570)
OP, your husband is right to be angry and you are right to be embarrassed. Just take it as a lesson, and move on.

I would like to interject here - in case this sentence is misconstrued - that the anger and embarrassment should not be directed at the dog. I wouldn't phrase it like that, but just in case, I don't want OP to focus on these emotions and directing them incorrectly.

The dog is not at fault. She was set up for failure, and while I am still low on the learning ladder, I would say she reacted out of insecurity and anxiety after the altercation w/ that first dog. It is a defensive move: get the other dogs before they get her. I may be wrong, but this is how I interpret her behaviour.

rena 05-14-2014 11:43 AM

I have taken her there before. Dont know what changed. Maybe it was from that other dog. I always ask if there dog is friendly and am ready to grab the lease. I did that yesterday as this big shephard came up and the guy admitted that she was unpredictable so i said I dont want it around my dogs then. (this was before the incident with mine) and he put it on a leash and left. If he KNEW his dog was that way he had no business bringing it to the dog park with the others.
It seems she wants to be the leader. Shes a herder at the house with my old dog and always shoves him over and dominates him. I am looking into taking her somewhere to nip this behavior in the bud. My h wants to muzzle her but this is the first time she has done such a thing.

Sunflowers 05-14-2014 12:54 PM

Dog parks: worst invention ever, by people who humanize dogs.

rena 05-14-2014 04:26 PM

Now she attacked my old dog!

I dont know what the he**.. I just threw out some treats for them in the backyard and she got possessive about it. Both dogs started looking for the treats and she saw him go for one and that was it and all out brawl. She listens when I yelled at her to stop. I put her in the kennel right away but not for long as i heard they cant remember what the reason is for. This is all new behaviour.