I'm Worried. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I'm Worried.

As some of you know, I own a 2-year-old(soon to be 3) female GSD that has major aggression issues. At first I wasn't too worried about it until she starting attacking people. I'm not talking about the fearful nip that GSD's give when they're afraid. I'm talking about the full on latch onto arm type deal.

Ivy was a rescue dog that I adopted last year and her previous owner had tried various methods to get her to stop, but eventually gave up when no improvement showed. I've had Ivy for a year now and things seem to be getting out of hand. She is extremely aggressive towards strangers and other dogs. It has gotten so bad that people no longer want to visit my house because they are afraid of her.

However, Ivy hasn't showed any aggression towards me at all. While she's eating I'll take the bowl away and she's just fine. I done various tests to see if she aggressive towards me and not once has she growled or snapped at me. It's only strangers. Since I've had Ivy, she's bitten 4 different people that have come to visit me and all of them has had to get stitches.

Yesterday's was the worse. Yesterday, my Aunt needed to use the restroom and dropped by my house. I was at work at the time when this happened. My Aunt used my spare key under the mat and went inside. Ivy was also inside laying down in the living room. Ivy saw my Aunt, and thinking she was an intruder, attacked. Ivy latched onto my Aunt's arm and wouldn't let go. My Aunt panicked and was able to drag Ivy(who was still attached to her arm) into the doorway of the bathroom. My Aunt tried smashing Ivy's head between the door and the door frame to get her to let go. It didn't work. While Ivy still had her fangs in her arm, My Aunt was able to rip her arm out and locked herself in the bathroom. My Aunt dialed 911 and had to crawl out the bathroom window to get outside.

In the end, my Aunt had to get 23 stitches in her arm. I don't know what to do at this point with Ivy anymore. My Aunt didn't press charges only because of me. I love Ivy with all my heart's contempt but I can't do this anymore. I have 4 other GSD's that are complete sweethearts, but Ivy is just horrible toward strangers. I need help. I don't want to put her down, but I don't know how to change her behavior.
Spencer-5 months (don't-know-color-yet GSD)
Jake-Died at 16 years (faded bi-color)
Jusdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bump.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Put her down. Or keep her contained when you aren't with her and especially if you think you'll be having company. Your poor aunt! I hope she will heal with no lasting effects(mental as well as physical) To allow her to bite 4 times is 4 times too many

Last edited by onyx'girl; 04-29-2014 at 05:19 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

You either need to hire a professional trainer or find somewhere to rehome this dog (somewhere with lots of experience dealing with dogs like this).
If she's bitten 4 people that come see you, why don't you crate her or something when you aren't home. It sounds like she needs to be managed a lot better.

Sorry you have to deal with an aggressive dog
Old 04-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would say, if you don't want her to be put down, then she is crated when you aren't there. No matter how good she is in the house. Just too much of a risk. Manage her a bit better in that sense and I think you could be fine. Accept the fact that she is aggressive and don't put her in those situations.. at this point, IMO, you really only have the option to manage her or find a REALLY experienced home for her that will manage her aggression.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

I do crate her. The first time she bit someone was a week after I got her and my brother came over. She got him on the hand. The second time she bit my neighbor's arm when she came to visit. After that, I started crating Ivy. The third time we were walking by my 10-year-old niece on the sidewalk and Ivy got her in the leg. The fourth time was the issue with my Aunt. I've own German Shepherds all my life and all of them are extremely well behaved toward people. Jorden (my 4-year-old and the oldest) is so friendly that I take her to the nearby children's hospital to visit the sick patients once a month. All of my other dogs are great with people except Ivy and I think it had something to do with her previous owner.
Ivy below:
Attached Thumbnails
I'm Worried.-ivy.jpg  

Last edited by Jusdy; 04-29-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Would any rescue take and rehome a dog with four major human bite incidents?

OP, why on earth does your aunt have free access to the house with this dog uncrated?!
Bob_McBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You should not allow someone to use your home for a restroom when you are not there, and then blame the dog. That one, I just can't blame the dog for. If you give people the key to your house, and let them in whenever, the dog with a problem should be securely crated or kenneled.

The other incidents may be different though. If you care about this dog and she is good with you, then you will crate or kennel her when you have visitors, or you will not have visitors.

The dog is yours. It is up to you to put her down, or manage her so that she does not get the opportunity to sink her fangs into anyone else.

One bite and you know that your dog will bite under certain circumstances, and all subsequent bites are on the owner. Allowing your dog to bite multiple people will eventually bite you in your pocketbook as well as in your heart. If you continue as you are, you are going to get sued, your dog will be put down -- no longer your choice, their choice, and you may have to deal with know that you cause disfiguring injury or even death of someone, maybe someone you care about a lot.

I am not saying that you should put your dog down. I am saying that you need to figure out how to manage your dog before something tragic happens. You need to crate or kennel your dog when strangers are around. You need to change your leadership style. You need to get a trainer/behaviorist on board. Maybe you need to euthanize your dog. If you cannot manage the dog properly, then euthanize the dog.

But buying a dog breed known for protection/guarding behavior and blaming the dog for protecting your home from a non-resident when you were not there, well, that seems a bit unfair.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Even if your aunt isn't pressing charges, Ivy must be quarantined right? Dr.s always report dog bites to AC.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusdy View Post
I do crate her. The first time she bit someone was a week after I got her and my brother came over. She got him on the hand. The second time she bit my neighbor's arm when she came to visit. After that, I started crating Ivy. The third time we were walking by my 10-year-old niece on the sidewalk and Ivy got her in the leg. The fourth time was the issue with my Aunt. I've own German Shepherds all my life and all of them are extremely well behaved toward people. Jorden (my 4-year-old and the oldest) is so friendly that I take her to the nearby children's hospital to visit the sick patients once a month. All of my other dogs are great with people except Ivy and I think it had something to do with her previous owner.
Don't take her for a walk with a kid unless she is muzzled. She BITES people!!!

This is so frustrating. Everyone of these people, and all the people those people talk to, and the hospitals and bite lists are getting really bad opinions of GSDs. Because one dog is allowed to bite and bite and bite.

How can you put a little kid into danger like that?

If you crate the dog, how did she get your aunt? Did your aunt open her crate?

What have you done so far to manage the situation or to work with the dog?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.