German Shepherds Forum banner

I'm Worried.

13K views 87 replies 38 participants last post by  vjt555 
#1 ·
As some of you know, I own a 2-year-old(soon to be 3) female GSD that has major aggression issues. At first I wasn't too worried about it until she starting attacking people. I'm not talking about the fearful nip that GSD's give when they're afraid. I'm talking about the full on latch onto arm type deal.

Ivy was a rescue dog that I adopted last year and her previous owner had tried various methods to get her to stop, but eventually gave up when no improvement showed. I've had Ivy for a year now and things seem to be getting out of hand. She is extremely aggressive towards strangers and other dogs. It has gotten so bad that people no longer want to visit my house because they are afraid of her.

However, Ivy hasn't showed any aggression towards me at all. While she's eating I'll take the bowl away and she's just fine. I done various tests to see if she aggressive towards me and not once has she growled or snapped at me. It's only strangers. Since I've had Ivy, she's bitten 4 different people that have come to visit me and all of them has had to get stitches.

Yesterday's was the worse. Yesterday, my Aunt needed to use the restroom and dropped by my house. I was at work at the time when this happened. My Aunt used my spare key under the mat and went inside. Ivy was also inside laying down in the living room. Ivy saw my Aunt, and thinking she was an intruder, attacked. Ivy latched onto my Aunt's arm and wouldn't let go. My Aunt panicked and was able to drag Ivy(who was still attached to her arm) into the doorway of the bathroom. My Aunt tried smashing Ivy's head between the door and the door frame to get her to let go. It didn't work. While Ivy still had her fangs in her arm, My Aunt was able to rip her arm out and locked herself in the bathroom. My Aunt dialed 911 and had to crawl out the bathroom window to get outside.

In the end, my Aunt had to get 23 stitches in her arm. I don't know what to do at this point with Ivy anymore. My Aunt didn't press charges only because of me. I love Ivy with all my heart's contempt but I can't do this anymore. I have 4 other GSD's that are complete sweethearts, but Ivy is just horrible toward strangers. I need help. I don't want to put her down, but I don't know how to change her behavior.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Put her down. Or keep her contained when you aren't with her and especially if you think you'll be having company. Your poor aunt! I hope she will heal with no lasting effects(mental as well as physical) To allow her to bite 4 times is 4 times too many

#4 ·
You either need to hire a professional trainer or find somewhere to rehome this dog (somewhere with lots of experience dealing with dogs like this).
If she's bitten 4 people that come see you, why don't you crate her or something when you aren't home. It sounds like she needs to be managed a lot better.

Sorry you have to deal with an aggressive dog :(

#5 ·
I would say, if you don't want her to be put down, then she is crated when you aren't there. No matter how good she is in the house. Just too much of a risk. Manage her a bit better in that sense and I think you could be fine. Accept the fact that she is aggressive and don't put her in those situations.. at this point, IMO, you really only have the option to manage her or find a REALLY experienced home for her that will manage her aggression.

#6 · (Edited)
I do crate her. The first time she bit someone was a week after I got her and my brother came over. She got him on the hand. The second time she bit my neighbor's arm when she came to visit. After that, I started crating Ivy. The third time we were walking by my 10-year-old niece on the sidewalk and Ivy got her in the leg. The fourth time was the issue with my Aunt. I've own German Shepherds all my life and all of them are extremely well behaved toward people. Jorden (my 4-year-old and the oldest) is so friendly that I take her to the nearby children's hospital to visit the sick patients once a month. All of my other dogs are great with people except Ivy and I think it had something to do with her previous owner.
Ivy below:

Attachments

#10 ·
I do crate her. The first time she bit someone was a week after I got her and my brother came over. She got him on the hand. The second time she bit my neighbor's arm when she came to visit. After that, I started crating Ivy. The third time we were walking by my 10-year-old niece on the sidewalk and Ivy got her in the leg. The fourth time was the issue with my Aunt. I've own German Shepherds all my life and all of them are extremely well behaved toward people. Jorden (my 4-year-old and the oldest) is so friendly that I take her to the nearby children's hospital to visit the sick patients once a month. All of my other dogs are great with people except Ivy and I think it had something to do with her previous owner.
Don't take her for a walk with a kid unless she is muzzled. She BITES people!!!

This is so frustrating. Everyone of these people, and all the people those people talk to, and the hospitals and bite lists are getting really bad opinions of GSDs. Because one dog is allowed to bite and bite and bite.

How can you put a little kid into danger like that?

If you crate the dog, how did she get your aunt? Did your aunt open her crate?

What have you done so far to manage the situation or to work with the dog?

#11 ·
I didn't even know she was there. I was at work when this all happened. My Aunt has visited before but that was before I got Ivy. She dropped by to use the bathroom (must of had to go really bad). She knows I always place the spare key under the mat and that's how she got in. I wasn't expecting any visitors.

#8 ·
You should not allow someone to use your home for a restroom when you are not there, and then blame the dog. That one, I just can't blame the dog for. If you give people the key to your house, and let them in whenever, the dog with a problem should be securely crated or kenneled.

The other incidents may be different though. If you care about this dog and she is good with you, then you will crate or kennel her when you have visitors, or you will not have visitors.

The dog is yours. It is up to you to put her down, or manage her so that she does not get the opportunity to sink her fangs into anyone else.

One bite and you know that your dog will bite under certain circumstances, and all subsequent bites are on the owner. Allowing your dog to bite multiple people will eventually bite you in your pocketbook as well as in your heart. If you continue as you are, you are going to get sued, your dog will be put down -- no longer your choice, their choice, and you may have to deal with know that you cause disfiguring injury or even death of someone, maybe someone you care about a lot.

I am not saying that you should put your dog down. I am saying that you need to figure out how to manage your dog before something tragic happens. You need to crate or kennel your dog when strangers are around. You need to change your leadership style. You need to get a trainer/behaviorist on board. Maybe you need to euthanize your dog. If you cannot manage the dog properly, then euthanize the dog.

But buying a dog breed known for protection/guarding behavior and blaming the dog for protecting your home from a non-resident when you were not there, well, that seems a bit unfair.

#9 ·
Even if your aunt isn't pressing charges, Ivy must be quarantined right? Dr.s always report dog bites to AC.

#30 ·
Pretty much, our oldest daughter was bitten in the face by a friends yellow lab. They want the name/address of the owner. The owner had up date shot records so they were able to keep the dog, but all information must be collected at the doctors office/ER. We lived in Spokane at the time, so same as the OP.

#12 ·
I have a dog that could easily be Ivy without clear management.

If we aren't home, he is crated. If guests come over, he is crated until we determine if a meeting is appropriate or not. When we go out, he has a muzzle on. Clear, concise management. There is no room for error with this type of dog.

As far as rehoming these dogs? No. The only responsible option is humanely pts.

#15 ·
I don't want to make you feel worse, but this dog has bitten now, 4 times, bites that require stitches..After the 1st bite, you should have been on alert,,after the 2nd bite you should have been on HIGH alert.

I know you didn't know your aunt was dropping by, but I would think at this point, your family/friends are aware of her 'issue'???

You have been darn lucky that no one has sued you for everything you've got with this sue happy world we live in. You can't blame a kid running up behind you for the dog to bite..

With that, you have two options, ABSOLUTE MANAGEMENT, which would include, NO CONTACT with any human other than yourself, or euthanize her before you lose everything you own..She is a ticking time bomb and the bites/attacks are getting worse and worse

#28 · (Edited)
All of the above. A child, or anyone else for that matter, should never have been close enough to her when you have her outside that she could bite them, or she should be muzzled. If people come over she should be crated in another room with the door closed, she should never be loose. Everyone you know that's aware that you have a spare key hidden outside and might think to use it should have been made thoroughly aware of the situation, and warned not to go in the house when you're not there, or you should have her crated or otherwise securely confined every time you leave the house, or both.

If you fail to take these kinds of precautions, this will happen again. My dogs are confined in a chain link pen in the garage with a dog door to an outside run when we leave, and they've never harmed anyone. We don't have a hidden key, and the only people that have a key to our house would be using it in an emergency only. And still, our dogs are confined. If you don't want to do that, then you can't leave a hidden key around that people could just drop by and use to let themselves in. If you're determined that euthanasia is not an option, then the strictest possible management is absolutely mandatory.

#17 ·
I am sorry. But this dog has 4 major bites in a year. You are not managing her at all. After the first bite, the next two are gross negligence on your part. That may sound harsh, but I stand by it.

I won't tell you what to do, but I would put her to sleep. The fact that you have been lucky enough so far that you have not been sued, is a miracle. Shocking actually. The dog is dangerous, flat out. Unless you are prepared to have her muzzled all the time, she is dangerous.

You need to be realistic about your ability to handle and manage this dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#19 ·
Agreed with gsdsar. If you have even remotely the sort of relationship with people where they might drop by your house and let themselves in, the dog needs to be contained at all times. The fact that you let this dog around a child is unfathomable. OP, I know how hard it is, especially when you love the dog... but when a dog has that many screws loose, it's no life for them to live. Euthanasia is really the most humane thing for the dog. Giving this dog to ANYONE else would be incredibly irresponsible. At this point you need to sit down and decide if you're willing/able to make the commitment to 100%, extreme, totalitarian management... or PTS.

#20 · (Edited)
I just know I am going to catch flack for my post here because all the GOOD mods. are on board. This dog/animal is in the wrong hands. A suited home should be with a very stern male, who has a handle on the situation, lives alone, control of the dog 100%, not afraid at all. If I was a single man of 30, this is the exact dog I would wish for, living ALONE in the country. The key under the door mat, the 4 bites, blood drawn and stitches, the owner needs to own up to this. Children and this dog is not plausible, period, you knew this the first week. I am going to hope the down does not get put down, because she did her job, 110%, there are gas station bathrooms across the Country and now "the owner has been put on notice."

The dog is gorgeous, the song herein represents my feelings.. :help:

#24 ·
I just know I am going to catch flack for my post here because all the GOOD mods. are on board. This dog/animal is in the wrong hands. A suited home should be with a very stern male, who has a handle on the situation, lives alone, control of the dog 100%, not afraid at all. If I was a single man of 30, this is the exact dog I would wish for, living ALONE in the country. The key under the door mat, the 4 bites, blood drawn and stitches, the owner needs to own up to this. Children and this dog is not plausible, period, you knew this the first week. I am going to hope the down does not get put down, because she did her job, 110%, there are gas station bathrooms across the Country and now "the owner has been put on notice."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LolVaIrJ60s

The dog is gorgeous, the song herein represents my feelings.. :help:
I watched all 5 minutes of the u-tube. Can someone please give me the gist of what is was about, what it said?

#21 ·
this dog could not be rehomed, it has a serious bite history, and the OP may be held liable for it should it go somewhere else and do more serious damage

#25 ·
I don't fault you for leaving the dog out while you weren't at home, and not expecting someone to come in while you were gone. I leave my dogs out too,and I know Onyx would probably do the same thing to someone she doesn't know. I leave my dogs out to protect the place, they can't do that if they are contained in a crate.
BUT, no one I know would ever, ever come in when we aren't at home and NOT expect to get bitten. Onyx has a reputation with my family, they all know she's a threat. That said, with my management, Onyx doesn't have a bite history.

Jusdy, please get with a qualified trainer that deals with aggression if you decide to let her remain. Don't rehome her, or dump her, she deserves to be let go responsibly.

#32 ·
I normally do not agree with putting down dogs because it makes me sad and I often find the dog to be innocent but 4 terrible bites? I agree with the others that say that she should be put to sleep. I would not be able to rehome a dog that has inflicted bad bites on 4 different people.

#34 ·
These aren't even 4 typical bites. They're 4 serious bites that required medical treatment. Your dog doesn't distinguish b/w children & adults, family & strangers, friend & foe. This dog is not only seriously aggressive, she seriously lacks judgment. Nor does she temper her aggression very well. As bad as it was, the situation with your aunt could have been much, much worse.

IF you keep her & decide to manage her properly, please keep an eagle eye on her, especially if she's sick, uncomfortable or aging. IF stressed, sick or weakened, her 'targets' could shift to include you.

#35 ·
Forgive me if this sounds harsh, but there are human and dog lives at stake... This dog is being grossly mismanaged. The dog has a serious dangerous aggression issues and needs someone VERY experienced in dealing with those types of dogs/issues. I don't think the OP is that person, as they've clearly stated all their other dogs were "nice dogs." Maybe they do not have the skill level needed to manage a dog like Ivy, hence the 4 bites - how many more bites were there with the previous owner???

I have a dog with issues similar though not quite as severe as Ivy's, she needs to be extensively managed every hour of every day, no breaks, no letting down of our guard. That being said, she has gotten the supervision and training that she needs here and has never caused any injury or harm because we monitor her constantly and manage all her interactions with extreme caution. NO ONE would ever be allowed in my house unannounced, that would be a disaster waiting to happen! Same thing with allowing a child to run up and startle the dog into biting, with a dog like Ivy, her handler needs to be aware of her surroundings at all times. The child should have been stopped before she got into biting range.

The OP seems to be setting this dog up for failure. And I don't agree with the dog being pts at this point, IMO many of the biting incidents could have been avoided with proper handling and management of an aggressive GSD.

Not everyone is cut out to own a dog like this and sometimes a person needs to come forward and do the right thing for the dog. A dog like Ivy will always be a liability and she needs to be with someone who is fully aware and capable of dealing with a dog like that.

I would take her, bite history and all, if I had the space and time (and money!) for another dog. But sadly, I'm full here at the inn, and a dog like Ivy would be a huge responsibility that I can't take on right now, not until my ice queen is gone anyway.

Maybe there is someone experienced and capable of dealing with a dog like Ivy that would take her? With full disclosure of all her bite incidents and her aggression issues? That would be aware of the liability they are accepting? I hope there is someone out there because I hate to see Ivy euthanized when I believe better, more cautious handling could've helped avoid most of her bite incidents.

No disrespect to the OP, Ivy is a difficult case and I think maybe you're in just a bit over your head with her.

#38 ·
I am not disagreeing with what you say, but the problem is how do you know how to find someone with the experience and willingness to take the dog off of this person's hands?

I can't take on an aggressive dog. I have too many dogs as it is, and even if I did not, I have kids that come over, and I have another dog that is special needs. And I think you will find that across the board. Dog lovers have dogs. No one is standing in line for a really tough dog to work with. It is a commitment not to be taken lightly. And not everyone who CAN manage such a dog is looking to take one on.

I think the owner has to either really step it up and take responsibility, or euthanize the dog. If someone with the experience and desire to take this dog presents themselves to the OP, and he is satisfied that the person is what he claims to be, than another decision can be made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.