Have you known any dog that simply 'snapped'? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2014, 03:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Have you known any dog that simply 'snapped'?

This is in light of a recent thread but I don't want to relink it here because it is such a tragic story and I didn't ask the OP for permission to do so...

I'm curious to see how many of you have known any dog that simply 'snapped'; became dangerously aggressive to a human without warning or any known medical issues. Can you describe the situation to asses for a warning sign you may have missed?

Because while I trust my two, I'm sure most people in that situation did as well.

And that 'it'll never happen to us' attitude scares me...A LOT.

I will admit Smokey has growled at me before and his posture was an 'am going to bite you if you take away my bone' posture. I've also been on the not so good side of redirected aggression when he couldn't get to a dog on the other side of a fence. But this was all understandable in the sense that there were triggers and warnings of aggression ensuing...we've trained and traded and redirected and it's worked splendidly but I still get scared...maybe for no reason.

How likely is YOUR dog to become aggressive toward you, a family/ friend or a stranger without warning? How much do you trust your dog?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 03:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

My dog has never growled, lunged or even aggressively bitten me. I don't worry about him biting anyone in our family. I do keep him on a leash though around small children because his prey drive is a little nuts. I don't want him tackling them and accidentally hurting them, I don't worry about him biting them in an aggressive way though. I don't have kids myself so training him around the actions and noises small kids make has been pretty close to none.
AngelaA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 04:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Our neighbour was attacked by one of his rottweillers (had two), and the dog went straight for his family jewels I was quite young when it happened though, so I don't really know what the full story was
Vagus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I trust Lola and Harry with me 100%. I feel I am in tune with them both and can pick up if there is something wrong. I just need to listen to my intuition a bit better.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Woolf hasn't just 'snapped'. There was a period of time he would redirect on me. My fault, didn't catch his cues in time; and in my defense, during that period his cues were so lightening fast, it would have been difficult for most to have caught them.

We are past that now.

As far as trust, that isn't really in the cards for Woolf. I always have to keep in mind what he is and isn't capable of.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Next door neighbor's Doberman. Out of the blue, attacked her one day. It wasn't pretty.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

yes.
A Dalmatian dog . Bought for the kids , from a pet shop, after the Disney movies 101 Dalmatians .
The dog jumped onto the owner's bed while they were sleeping and started to bite at and rip out chunks of scalp, hair and tore an ear before the lady had a chance to even wake.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Without warning? I trust both my dogs in that respect. Would they do it if pressured/cornered? My shih Tzu might snap, but not attack. My GSD? He's only a year old but he has never snapped at me. As a young pup, he did at my son and husband when resource guarding a toy (he CAN have resource guarding tendencies, again with others, not me,) but I monitor it and him and make sure it never takes hold.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dogs are animals. I respect that. I would never, ever say "My dog doesn't bite." Just as I would never, ever say, "My horse won't kick." They may never have, but that doesn't mean they never will. Every animal has it's threshold.

But, I sleep well at night.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Yes. A female we got as a puppy from another breeder who was perfectly fine, social and stable until close to 3 years old when she suddenly developed a form of rage syndrome. She would zone out, her eyes would glaze over and she'd attack anything that moved. Then a minute or so later she'd be back to normal, completely unaware that anything had happened. Obviously this was something medical, but it was not treatable or manageable. She was PTS.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.