German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   Rattle snakes what to do (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/440153-rattle-snakes-what-do.html)

Lobobear44 04-19-2014 01:27 AM

Rattle snakes what to do

Quite often I hike dogs up around the mountains/hills. Haven't yet to encounter a rattle snake. Some of the dogs do have prey drive and if a rattle snake appears I imagine the dogs will face consequences. The rattle snake can bite a dog if I am far from town idk if I would make it. Worse case scenario if I don't have the muscle to carry the dog the whole way dog could die. I think I'm sure for me what to do not a dog.

Ellimaybel 04-19-2014 01:38 AM

Is there an emergency anti venom kit you can get from your vet or a website?

racer 04-19-2014 03:33 AM

look into taking your dog to a rattlesnake avoidance class also there's a rattlesnake vaccine

jocoyn 04-19-2014 07:36 AM

Dont walk any dog unless you have full control over them.

Realize you may be more likely to get bit than the dog, as the dog may just put the snake on the defensive.

If I lived out west I would ensure any dog I took out in the woods had Rattlesnake avoidance training.

Take a good class in K9 first aid and see if you can get (and be trained how to use) injectable dexamethasone and injectable bendadryl as they can both save time and a life.

pineconeforestGSD 04-19-2014 08:46 AM

I would learn snake bite first aid for you and your dog. and also carry a small snake bite kit. my dog Teana just saw her 1st snake 3 days ago.i put her in a sit.stay and enforced the ''don't touch''. she watched as I moved the snake off the roadside and into the forest. alls well that ends well.
have a fun and safe hiking season!!!!

sparra 04-19-2014 10:07 AM

At least your snakes rattle......ours just bite...... ;)

Nigel 04-19-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparra (Post 5399385)
At least your snakes rattle......ours just bite...... ;)

And as bad as rattle snakes are, your variety of snakes, jelly fish, spiders, and I think even some ants are far more dangerous. I'll keep my bears, cougars, and occasional angry moose please! Lol

Chip18 04-19-2014 11:39 AM

They have rattlesnake avoidance classes out here (NV).

Lobobear44 04-19-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 5399089)
Dont walk any dog unless you have full control over them.

Realize you may be more likely to get bit than the dog, as the dog may just put the snake on the defensive.

If I lived out west I would ensure any dog I took out in the woods had Rattlesnake avoidance training.

Take a good class in K9 first aid and see if you can get (and be trained how to use) injectable dexamethasone and injectable bendadryl as they can both save time and a life.

What if I'm bit and alone in the woods with a dog?

Packen 04-19-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobobear44 (Post 5401745)
What if I'm bit and alone in the woods with a dog?

A lil bit out of luck, just as being struck by lightning. The dog OTOH can be trained not to approach snakes.