Vet pins/grabs muzzle & 13wk puppy bites at hand - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
The advice wasn't accurate, but nothing the vet tech did was wrong IMO...

Sorry, if the puppy is biting the hand, its not that out of the question for her to just hold the mouth shut while she finishes her exam.

SunCzarina...the vet TECH did not ROLL the puppy. The vet tech had the puppy on its side already while examining the stomach...there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If it were me, I would've been holding my dog to help the vet tech and probably in that situation would've just stuck my own hand in the dog's mouth in order to not cause any harm to the vet tech. When my boy was a puppy, the tummy exams took less than a minute...its not a bad thing for your dog to learn that it has to accept people touching it in certain places. If you wanted it to be a training exercise and are worried about the fact that the vet tech "forced" the dog on its side, you should do it all yourself. I've never been around a single vet or vet tech that wasn't more than happy to allow the owner to help with the handling of the animal or down and roll over (with a command) themselves.

But, we could just give the advice to not allow anyone to touch your dog so that when it gets bigger you need a muzzle because your dog doesn't like people touching it. Then you'll come on the forum and get ripped apart for not teaching this to your dog and socializing the dog properly when it was younger.

To call a 13 week old a problem, and insinuate that you'll have issues because you have children is weird. But the GSD is an aggressive breed, they can be problems, and many vets usually see the dogs that aren't trained properly. I remember how my vet was surprised to feel the fact that my dog still had testicles because he was so "calm" and "listened well" while we were in the exam room. I can just imagine what kinds of dogs he has to deal with on a daily basis and so of course they're going to develop certain prejudices.

I know this forum also likes to tell people to ditch vets when they advise them to neuter at 6 months...so if we're just going to advise people to leave vets because of their opinions, I guess this situation calls for the same advice.
Yes, it is out of the question. I've never handled a puppy like this or let mine get handled like this. I have always supplied treats while working in shelters, and my vets use treats to keep my dogs still if I cannot assist, as well.

No one is saying they shouldn't be touching the dog, you're making mountains out of molehills. We're saying they don't need to handle a puppy that way to get accomplished what they need, and this could do damage to the socialization of the dog. At least if no one touched the dog it wouldn't be afraid.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have never seen a vet or tech put a dog on its side to examine, they do it while they are standing. They might put there hand gently around muzzle if the dog is panting. That would be acceptable, squeezing the muzzle is not. In the pups defense he had no where to go and what they did was make him feel pinned. Get another vet.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I have never seen a vet or tech put a dog on its side to examine, they do it while they are standing. They might put there hand gently around muzzle if the dog is panting. That would be acceptable, squeezing the muzzle is not. In the pups defense he had no where to go and what they did was make him feel pinned. Get another vet.
Yuuuuup!
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Martemchik, if you routinely hold your own puppy's mouth shut for biting, then it wouldn't be a problem for you - since your puppy would know that this is what happens in response to a bite. But since OP isn't doing this, why should the puppy be forced to tolerate it from a stranger? That's not right, IMO. The good thing is that when OP voiced concerns, a different approach was taken. I'd still not want to deal with people giving lectures about the breed, from their biased viewpoint. Sorry, my money supports those that I think deserve it.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 03:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I assume your "18 month old" is a child of the human kind? DO NOT let this kid close by a dog who is eating, ever, no matter how you trust your dog.
And oh yes, change vets to a clinic who knows what they are doing and have left the stone age.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 04-18-2014 at 03:51 PM.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I've switched vets for a whole lot less.

You are doing everything just fine - totally normal reaction for that sort of opposition at that age without counter conditioning. I would find a new vet asap.

this, find a new Vet, and if its about to happen again at another vet put a stop to it immediately

also when my guys were small, I did the holding while the Vet did their thing

Tester/Observer T.D.INC

Last edited by ken k; 04-18-2014 at 03:53 PM.
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi'sMom View Post
The vet and tech forced him to his side and held him down while trying to palpate his groin. He starting whining and struggling to get up. He was biting the vet tech's hand. She then grabbed his muzzle and squeezed it shut, at which point he became frantic and whining and wanting up even more
And that is where I would have walked out.

Do yourself a favor and find out where your local police force takes the K9s.
You need vets and especially techs who know GSDs.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'd be a little annoyed that the tech grabbed the muzzle and made my dog restless, but then again for every procedure done to my dog that requires some sort of restraint I make sure it's me that is the person near the face holding my dog. I've held her still for everything she's needed done

I'd just ask for a different tech because they don't know what they are talking about with the breed very much.

In the future I'd restrain your dog for them though
Old 04-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Its weird that I went through the same thing at our second vet check. I was told by the vet who I now realise is a nincompoop, had no idea how to handle and is scared of dogs, that my dog is going to be aggressive. And he would need to be muzzled for his vet visits. I found a female vet who owns a GSD herself a half hour away. By then ours was 7 months old and MUCH bigger. He was like putty in her hands. When I told her what had happened with our previous vet she scoffed at it.

I think perhaps all their warnings to you are because they usually do not see owners who invest in training their dogs. AND in general, they are afraid of the bigger protective breeds.

Last edited by Sri; 04-18-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Sri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

All of the vets I've used have commented on how GSD's have poor nerves, are fear biters and usually expect that whenever they see the breed.
I have one that is highly aggressive with the vetting procedures so I muzzle her. I don't let the techs handle my dogs, I do it myself while they do their blood draws or vaccines.

With a baby puppy, the vet should be making the experience as positive as possible. What was the reason for the groin exam? Are both testicles down or is there one missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.