A cause of Aggression? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member
 
HarleyTheGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,302
A cause of Aggression?

I sometimes see dogs chained up 24/7, and they usually seem very aggressive. I'm just curious; can aggression blossom from a high energy dog not getting the excercise they need? Maybe as a release?

Brittany

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Lines
HarleyTheGSD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Crowned Member
 
LaRen616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 14,337
IMO yes.

I think being high energy, not having an outlet and being tied up creates a lot of pent up frustration that can lead to a bite.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 26,578
There is also the flight or fight aspect...when a dog is chained it has no option but to fight. Most of the chained dogs aren't socialized, they have their circle of boundary and probably feel the need to protect it. Once off the chain, and in a different environment, the attitude may change.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member
 
HarleyTheGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
IMO yes.

I think being high energy, not having an outlet and being tied up creates a lot of pent up frustration that can lead to a bite.
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Some of these dogs seem like they'll do anything just to release some of their energy. Maybe they'd act differently if they had a good walk to wear them out?

Brittany

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Lines
HarleyTheGSD is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Crowned Member
 
LaRen616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 14,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Some of these dogs seem like they'll do anything just to release some of their energy. Maybe they'd act differently if they had a good walk to wear them out?
A good walk won't wear a high energy dog out, they need to run and do a lot of it to wear them out.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,673
chained dogs are frustrated dogs
rather like fence fighting and aggression with the fence being the barrier
a chain is a barrier and they cannot get to whatever they want to, to investigate it
so they become more and more frustrated
there are a great many chained dogs that have killed children that i am guessing would not have killed kids had they been not chained and properly socialized
my boy diesel is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member
 
HarleyTheGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
There is also the flight or fight aspect...when a dog is chained it has no option but to fight. Most of the chained dogs aren't socialized, they have their circle of boundary and probably feel the need to protect it. Once off the chain, and in a different environment, the attitude may change.
I can understand that as well.

Brittany

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Lines
HarleyTheGSD is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member
 
HarleyTheGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
A good walk won't wear a high energy dog out, they need to run and do a lot of it to wear them out.
Understood.

Brittany

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Lines
HarleyTheGSD is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member
 
HarleyTheGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
chained dogs are frustrated dogs
rather like fence fighting and aggression with the fence being the barrier
a chain is a barrier and they cannot get to whatever they want to, to investigate it
so they become more and more frustrated
there are a great many chained dogs that have killed children that i am guessing would not have killed kids had they been not chained and properly socialized
This also makes sense. So, chained dogs really have more problems that some may think.

Brittany

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Lines
HarleyTheGSD is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Crowned Member
 
Lilie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South Texas
Posts: 12,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
This also makes sense. So, chained dogs really have more problems that some may think.
If the dog is chained 24/7. Things might be different if the dog is only chained while it is out in the yard to do it's business or for short lengths of time.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome