German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Aggression (the good, the bad & the ugly) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/)
-   -   A cause of Aggression? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/439537-cause-aggression.html)

HarleyTheGSD 04-17-2014 08:27 AM

A cause of Aggression?

I sometimes see dogs chained up 24/7, and they usually seem very aggressive. I'm just curious; can aggression blossom from a high energy dog not getting the excercise they need? Maybe as a release?

LaRen616 04-17-2014 08:38 AM

IMO yes.

I think being high energy, not having an outlet and being tied up creates a lot of pent up frustration that can lead to a bite.

onyx'girl 04-17-2014 08:44 AM

There is also the flight or fight aspect...when a dog is chained it has no option but to fight. Most of the chained dogs aren't socialized, they have their circle of boundary and probably feel the need to protect it. Once off the chain, and in a different environment, the attitude may change.

HarleyTheGSD 04-17-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 5390217)
IMO yes.

I think being high energy, not having an outlet and being tied up creates a lot of pent up frustration that can lead to a bite.

This is exactly what I was thinking.
Some of these dogs seem like they'll do anything just to release some of their energy. Maybe they'd act differently if they had a good walk to wear them out?

LaRen616 04-17-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5391457)
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Some of these dogs seem like they'll do anything just to release some of their energy. Maybe they'd act differently if they had a good walk to wear them out?

A good walk won't wear a high energy dog out, they need to run and do a lot of it to wear them out.

my boy diesel 04-17-2014 01:42 PM

chained dogs are frustrated dogs
rather like fence fighting and aggression with the fence being the barrier
a chain is a barrier and they cannot get to whatever they want to, to investigate it
so they become more and more frustrated
there are a great many chained dogs that have killed children that i am guessing would not have killed kids had they been not chained and properly socialized

HarleyTheGSD 04-17-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5390257)
There is also the flight or fight aspect...when a dog is chained it has no option but to fight. Most of the chained dogs aren't socialized, they have their circle of boundary and probably feel the need to protect it. Once off the chain, and in a different environment, the attitude may change.

I can understand that as well.

HarleyTheGSD 04-17-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 5391473)
A good walk won't wear a high energy dog out, they need to run and do a lot of it to wear them out.

Understood.

HarleyTheGSD 04-17-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5391977)
chained dogs are frustrated dogs
rather like fence fighting and aggression with the fence being the barrier
a chain is a barrier and they cannot get to whatever they want to, to investigate it
so they become more and more frustrated
there are a great many chained dogs that have killed children that i am guessing would not have killed kids had they been not chained and properly socialized

This also makes sense. So, chained dogs really have more problems that some may think.

Lilie 04-17-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5392353)
This also makes sense. So, chained dogs really have more problems that some may think.

If the dog is chained 24/7. Things might be different if the dog is only chained while it is out in the yard to do it's business or for short lengths of time.