9 Hours Home and Kid Aggression - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
McM

Default 9 Hours Home and Kid Aggression

A local pound had a pb GS that a local rescue org. referred us to. Male, 1.5-2 y.o.

Went to the pound, dog let me handle him anywhere w/ no issues. Face, paws, tails, very nice dog. I had my 3.5 y.o. with me and the dog was fine with him. We did the-foster-to-adopt paper work. Dog has been with me or wife all day and around the three kids 10,7,3.5.

Dog has separation anxiety and jumped on the window ledge when I went to get a crate and dog food. Wife said while I was gone he just chille dout with her and the 3.5 y.o. and was petted, etc.

An hour ago I was doing homework with the 10y.o. and the dog was leashed at my feet. My 7 y.o. daughter walked through the room and the dog raised up, lunged then growled, and my daughter either fell down or was knocked down by the dog and scraped her arm ( or god forbid was nipped). All this happened in literally .5 seconds behind me. Dog was immediately contrite and remorseful.

Ten minutes later he raised and growled/barked at my 10 y.o. son as my son was leaving the room.

Any thoughts ? Any chance to redeem the dog, or go with my gut and take him back to the pound? See if I can get a GS kennel near by to temperament test the dog?
McM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The dog needs to go back now. Follow your gut. Your kids are too small and defenseless to risk this.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would follow your gut.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would return the dog...he should go to the rescue where they can work with him and his issues before he's ready for adoption. Before you return him, contact the rescue to see if they will pull him for foster/training.
Sorry, but your family comes first. This dog should be placed in knowledgeable hands, not be set up to fail.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
McM

It stinks. I've waited literally 10 years for a Shepherd. Our previous dog was extremely dog aggressive, so she was a one dog house maker. When we put her to sleep in after 12 years I've been looking for a shepherd. I sold a bunch of stuff to be able to afford a GS and this one literally dropped into our lap for $50.

When I left to get him a crate today, she literally slept on my wife with the 3.5 y.o. next to him. He just laid down in my lap for 20 minutes with his head on my lap and his belly asking to be rubbed.

I have a call in to the rescue about him. He sits, shakes, mostly comes when called, and seems like a sweetie, but this kid thing is a deal breaker.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
McM

I left messages with two different trainers that specialize of have extensive experience w/ GSDs. I am waiting to hear from both to see if I can get an assessment of the dog. I want to see if he is salvageable.

I have a limited amount of funds to spend. I am totally willing to spend them to save this dog as our pet if necessary. If they don't think he can be saved as our family pet I am willing to spend some of those funds to place him with a GSD specific rescue that can work with him. I don't want to take him back and have him labeled as "aggressive" and be put down.

He comes when called. He sits. He "shakes paws". He listens to "down". He obeys "off"on furniture. I think he's worth saving, even if it is not with us.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sometimes these dogs are extremely stressed out and act out. I suggest that you do the 2 week shutdown and gradually introduce him to your home. He should be watching the kids from his crate first and get used to them. It would great if you could get him into rescue as the pound would likely put him down. Good luck!
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am not big with the two week shut down, but I would do it in this situation. How long was he in the shelter for? Why was he at the shelter? It's really not reasonable to expect a dog from the shelter not to be stressed out if overwhelmed. They don't know or understand what us going on and everything is new. So many dogs are returned within a day of so for various reasons. As soon as I signed the papers to adopt my male we walked out and he attacked another dog. Boy was I mortified. Other then that he had a wonderful temperament so I stuck it out. Later I found out he was given up because hd was nipping at the kids in the house, which I never seen, but not something they disclosed originally either. He has turned out go be a wonderful dog.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 04-15-2014 at 12:07 AM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
McM

He was "found in a local park" according to the people that turned him in and was at the kennel for about a week.

Off the record, the shelter staff said this dog leapt to the door and was frantically pawing on it and whining as they drove off. The staff thinks they were the owners but lied about it to the staff for some reason.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McM View Post
He was "found in a local park" according to the people that turned him in and was at the kennel for about a week.

Off the record, the shelter staff said this dog leapt to the door and was frantically pawing on it and whining as they drove off. The staff thinks they were the owners but lied about it to the staff for some reason.
What a shame Since the shelter didn't disclose the issue with mine with kids I brought him right into the house with kids in it. He has never nipped at them and does nothing but follow them around.. What did you do when he growled? Are the kids afraid of him now ?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.