Child Aggression Success Stories? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Child Aggression Success Stories?

Hi all,

Recently a neighbor kid showed up at our front door unannounced. When he knocked, we went into our usual routine which is:

1. Leash the dog to our island counter, approximately 15 feet from our front door, but a straight line of sight.

2. Put him in a sit/stay and stand by him while my wife opens the door.

3. Command quiet if he barks, and correct with his remote collar (at an appropriate level) if he doesn't comply, and reward if he does.

So, the kid is at the door, my wife calls my son over to talk to him, the kid steps inside and starts to take his shoes off as my wife is telling him now is not a good time, because we have guests over. All seemed good. As the kid goes to leave, my 16 month old GSD goes bat$%&# crazy lunging to the end of the leash, hackles up, and barking aggressively. He didn't respond to our quiet command, and got a correction, didn't respond again, and got a bigger correction. The kids left, dog was put in a down/stay and stayed there for about an hour before I released him.

I know, I should have done things different. I should have tried to gain his focus and distracted him. I should have realized his intense focus on the child. I was just taken by surprise at the kid's arrival.. it was the first time he's just come to our front door. I'm sure I was nervous. I should have recognized that and asked my wife to step out and talk to the child.

The dog hasn't been socialized much with other kids, besides my two boys. My fault of course. He has been in obedience classes since we've got him, and I'm currently working with a trainer.

The reason I'm posting is I need some encouragement. Events like these totally deflate and discourage me. I'd like to hear from other owners that had GSDs that learned to tolerate strangers/kids in their house, when once that was very much not the case.
Peter. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

ok so when people come over it is routine to shock the dog?
no wonder he doesnt care for visitors :-/

others can address this but i would advise stop shocking him and get out the treats so he can enjoy and look forward to visitors instead of being punished when they show up
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have to agree with Diesel. Did your trainer suggest utilizing the e-collar to comply with your quiet command when you have guests over?

My boy doesn't care for children. Whereas he isn't aggressive, he just displays the intense focus that makes me uneasy. This only happens in our home. I found it safer to kennel him when we have children over.

My grand-niece came over last summer to stay with me for a couple of weeks (with my sister). I kept her away from my GSD, better to be safe than sorry. After a day or two, I realized my boy showed no interest in her any longer. Under strict supervision my grand neice and Hondo met. He couldn't have cared any less.

I still kept them apart in the house, as he is a big dog and she a little girl, but when we'd go outside (where he'd have plenty of room to move away if he felt the need) he was perfectly fine.

When we are off property, he shows no interest at all in children.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA

Last edited by Lilie; 04-07-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My current pup has to work for his release to visit with guests. Meaning that he isn't corrected for bad behavior, but he's rewarded for good behavior. Crated, and then released when he's calm and quiet. I also think you're going about this all wrong with the ecollar. How can you tell if it's a problem with children in particular?
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I understand not everyone on here is a fan of remote collars. I'll also try to not take offense. But I am not simply a guy who purchased one, slapped it on my dog, and am now blasting him whenever I don't like his behavior.

I am trained to use it. I never use it when he is interacting with someone physically. It is used when he disobeys a command, and most of the time, a verbal correction is all that's needed.

Like you suggest, he gets massive amounts of treats when guests come over.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I actually can't remember the last time I had to use it to correct him in the house when a guest was over. I was caught off guard. We hardly have kids over to the house.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

For the record, I wasn't making a derogatory comment about your use of the ecollar in general - just questioning if this is the wisest way to desensitize your pup to guests. I prefer a different approach.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Also, there is most likely a misconception about remote collars. They are adjustable with 100 levels.. and you are trained to recognise at what level your dog can actually feel the correction. It's just enough to break his focus, but doesn't "hurt" him. He does not yelp, jump, etc.

That being said, I will be making an adjustment to my approach, and will talk with my trainer further.

What I want to hear is success stories.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
I understand not everyone on here is a fan of remote collars. I'll also try to not take offense. But I am not simply a guy who purchased one, slapped it on my dog, and am now blasting him whenever I don't like his behavior.

I am trained to use it. I never use it when he is interacting with someone physically. It is used when he disobeys a command, and most of the time, a verbal correction is all that's needed.

Like you suggest, he gets massive amounts of treats when guests come over.
But, it's not working !

Without being critical, you might try some different things. Allow something's and disallow other's. My hand may be stronger then your trigger finger. Children are not a threat to a intelligent animal..
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
For the record, I wasn't making a derogatory comment about your use of the ecollar in general - just questioning if this is the wisest way to desensitize your pup to guests. I prefer a different approach.
Thank you for clarifying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.