Child Aggression Success Stories? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

e collars have their place but i am not sure this is one of them
tying him to a stationary object will make him frustrated also
someone else said crate until the excitement is over and that is how i would personally deal with it
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
e collars have their place but i am not sure this is one of them
tying him to a stationary object will make him frustrated also
someone else said crate until the excitement is over and that is how i would personally deal with it
This is exactly what I used to do, and it used to cause more barrier frustration. He would calm down, then a kid would walk by and he'd go nuts again.
Peter. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

it sounds like the leash is creating the same issue and then you are left in the position of shocking him because you have ran out of options at that point
is this dog actually aggressive or just excitable?
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I agree you have a problem that should have been prevented instead of fixed and I am also not sure the ecollar is the way to go for this problem but don't know how to help you.

I probably would have walked the dog out of the room and into his crate immediately and done a lot of work with socializizing to this situation using rewards and extensive training. I have an ecollar. I have a testimonial on Lou Castle's site about how it helped me fix a problem, but I tend to be very cautious with them because of associations the dogs can make when they are used. There are only a handful of folks I would trust to mentor me in their use.

I can't make you feel better because I have not had a GSD that wasn't clear in the head, even as a puppy, about the difference between children and adults...so I don't know about success.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
it sounds like the leash is creating the same issue and then you are left in the position of shocking him because you have ran out of options at that point
is this dog actually aggressive or just excitable?
To me, it seems he's soooo excitable, and if he's not allowed to just charge, nose, and play bark with someone.. it can (and not always) turn into an aggressive bark or lunge. Most of the time, especially with adult guests, he will settle on his leash, and gets treats and love from the guest. We haven't had too many kids over, like I said.. it's hard to ask someone to bring a child over to get barked at.. but I know I need to start.

As I mentioned in my original post, I wasn't prepared. I'm pissed at myself for not reacting different, and preempting his response.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
I understand not everyone on here is a fan of remote collars. I'll also try to not take offense. But I am not simply a guy who purchased one, slapped it on my dog, and am now blasting him whenever I don't like his behavior.

I am trained to use it. I never use it when he is interacting with someone physically. It is used when he disobeys a command, and most of the time, a verbal correction is all that's needed.

Like you suggest, he gets massive amounts of treats when guests come over.
Quote:
Also, there is most likely a misconception about remote collars. They are adjustable with 100 levels.. and you are trained to recognise at what level your dog can actually feel the correction. It's just enough to break his focus, but doesn't "hurt" him. He does not yelp, jump, etc.

That being said, I will be making an adjustment to my approach, and will talk with my trainer further.

What I want to hear is success stories.
I am not misinformed or misconceiving E collars. I like e collars a lot in the right situation. I would not say this is the right situation for one. I am not worried that he is being harmed, but I am worried that he is making a negative association with the subject of his fixation (the guest) and not the lack of obeying his command.

Do you have a positive punishment correction word that you use, to pair?
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I am not worried that he is being harmed, but I am worried that he is making a negative association with the subject of his fixation (the guest) and not the lack of obeying his command.

Do you have a positive punishment correction word that you use, to pair?
Yes, I do. I say "Ah Ah" as in "No, No" in a stern voice, followed by the command again. Most of the time, this is all that's needed is all his obedience.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Yes, I do. I say "Ah Ah" as in "No, No" in a stern voice, followed by the command again. Most of the time, this is all that's needed is all his obedience.
Sorry, I mean a word to mark the positive punishment that is coming. Similar to a marker for positive reinforcement. I don't know a TON about aversion training with markers, but it seems from what I have been told/shown, that this is pretty necessary to make it clear to the dog. Otherwise, you get dogs making associations like your dog appears to be doing and agitating them more.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Sorry, I mean a word to mark the positive punishment that is coming. Similar to a marker for positive reinforcement. I don't know a TON about aversion training with markers, but it seems from what I have been told/shown, that this is pretty necessary to make it clear to the dog. Otherwise, you get dogs making associations like your dog appears to be doing and agitating them more.
This is interesting. I've never heard of it.

So, in a sense, you would be giving a command.. and if then would be giving a verbal warning that a correction is coming, before the correction? But a different word than just the verbal correction?

for example: Command "Sit", he doesn't sit, verbal correction "Ah, Ah, Sit" still doesn't sit.. "NO(or positive punishment marker word).. Followed by remote correction"

I'll have to ask my trainer about that.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
This is interesting. I've never heard of it.

So, in a sense, you would be giving a command.. and if then would be giving a verbal warning that a correction is coming, before the correction? But a different word than just the verbal correction?

for example: Command "Sit", he doesn't sit, verbal correction "Ah, Ah, Sit" still doesn't sit.. "NO(or positive punishment marker word).. Followed by remote correction"

I'll have to ask my trainer about that.
Yes. I did a day-long training interview at an organization, they used corrections on the dogs. They used collar corrections. I was advised the proper way to administer these would be, "Dolly, Sit." *Dolly doesn't sit* "No." *correction*

Seemed pretty clear to me for the dogs. These dogs needed to be reliable for service dog tasks in public.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.